Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUC Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton DIA, Accor Plat, IHG Spire, Marriot Titanium Elite, Total Rewards Diamond
MUC Airport

I'm starting my Thailand Adventure with a flight from MUC-HEL on Finnair before the BKK flight.

What is the Security like at MUC? I've seen various reports it can be a nightmare! - Do Finnair offer fast track passes at check-in with their Business class product?

Also which Lounge do they use?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is all neatly presented at AY webpages. No priority security at MUC, take o look at the list here:
https://www.finnair.com/FI/GB/inform...ority-security

Info on lounge access can be found here.
https://www.finnair.com/FI/GB/inform...ounge-list#MUC

I only transferred at MUC and then it is bad. YMMV.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I flew from MUC to HEL yesterday on the 6:40pm flight. I was in the security at about 4:30 and at that time it was a breeze. It took less than 5 mins to get through.

The only lounge for AY+ Silver in Y was the Air France KLM Lounge which is nothing special.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AY premium pax get to use the fast lane in MUC1D, there is an usher who checks your BP and/or card. The 'fast' lane' has two of six security lanes here. Lounges in T1 are nothing special, like the rest of the terminal.

Security should not be bad at 10am and 6pm when AY departs.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
..Security should not be bad at 10am and 6pm when AY departs.
I never had any long wait anywhere, anytime in MUC ... so I wonder where the story is originating from.

On my recent MUC-HEL, I arrived in MUC 3 hours before departure and hence cleared security at "rush hour" ... had to wait nearly 1.5 minutes to get through.

But the AY check in staff at MUC are rude as <expletive> . Incompetent, arrogant, unhelpful - my agent wasn't able to tag my luggage through and in all seriousness asked me to collect it in HEL and check it in again. Even getting angry and shaming did not help ...

In HEL I wandered to the service desk and they had someone collect the bag and re-tag it with no further issue.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, I only did transfer but as I remember it, it was at 2 security stations to pass (?!). Long lines even for the business priority line and extremely careful examinations. For instance, I had to remove photo equipment from carry on, and all lenses where carefully examined.

But again, that was tranferring, so OT in regards to OP's question.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by weero
But the AY check in staff at MUC are rude as <expletive> . Incompetent, arrogant, unhelpful - my agent wasn't able to tag my luggage through and in all seriousness asked me to collect it in HEL and check it in again. Even getting angry and shaming did not help ...

In HEL I wandered to the service desk and they had someone collect the bag and re-tag it with no further issue.
Yep, aerogate who does AY in MUC is not the brightest. I had a ticket that had codeshare and various other issues that prevented Altea from checkin it thru and the lady at the desk at first brushed me off, then called her supervisor just to confirm her view and only on the third attempt called her supervisor to figure out how to solve the issue.

That said with only two flights a day AY probably doesn't spend much time into MUC.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton DIA, Accor Plat, IHG Spire, Marriot Titanium Elite, Total Rewards Diamond
Oh wow! - Looks like I've a lot of fun to look forward to!

So:

1)Check bag tags are checked thru to BKK (If not prepare to argue)
2)Ask for a 'Fast Pass' for Security
3)Be prepared to remove things from bags at security

Any preference on which Lounge is best?
Europa or Air France/KLM?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:11 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
On my recent visit I went to the Europa -lounge, very, very basic and you cannot go much worse than that so I'd recommend trying any alternative available to you.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:32 am

Security fast lane is checked by a airport employee, no 'fast pass required'. Security is done by a local agency, who is friendly but strict, but there are always two Bundespolizei officers nearby watching the proceedings so everything stays civil (unlike FRA).

Europa contract lounge is some drinks and some nibbles in about 80sqm. If everything in the general airside concourse wasn't so expensive I would say avoid... but then...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Security fast lane is checked by a airport employee, no 'fast pass required'. Security is done by a local agency, who is friendly but strict, but there are always two Bundespolizei officers nearby watching the proceedings so everything stays civil (unlike FRA).
But the fights in FRA are great entertainment. Just last week two Russian passengers shamed a security agent - in my opinion rightfully - who randomly dragged blonde females to the front of the queue for being "horny and unprofessional". It escalated quite beautifully as he threatened them that they would not be allowed through and they phone-filmed him upon his next white knight excursion. The exchange of invectives let me think for a short while that it was a hidden-camera prank but no resolution ever came to the battle, so it must have been real or at least surreal.
Europa contract lounge is some drinks and some nibbles in about 80sqm. If everything in the general airside concourse wasn't so expensive I would say avoid... but then...
And beer box is only available for the later departure ... so except for some tasty nano-sandwiches, there isn't anything particular about this lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.