Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to introduce Y+ ("comfort")

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
[Economy Comfort free for AY OWE]

Originally Posted by Lappe
The newsletter talks about Finnair Plus Gold and Platinum only.
It's an AY+ newsletter, so one could assume it's marketing spindoctoring. Notice that the newsletter also states the new premium lounge is for AY G/P, however in practice we know differently. Time will tell
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I guess I'll just now ALWAYS pick BA over AY on my semi-frequent LHR/HEL connections. Sometimes they depart minutes apart..
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I guess I'll just now ALWAYS pick BA over AY on my semi-frequent LHR/HEL connections. Sometimes they depart minutes apart..
I usually fly BA on that route because it's usually my connecting flight to longhaul... and because 2268/2835 avios beats 1000/2000 AY+
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:35 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by reflektia
According to newsletter, AY gold members get 50% discount to comfort class and for platinum members it is free of charge.
This discount is similar to what DL and KL offer to elites (I think they offer a 25% discount to low-tier). If extended to all comparable-status OW elites, it is a good move.

This "Comfort" product sounds like UA E+, KL and DL Economy Comfort, and AA MCE. If it is the DL/UA/AA/KL-style "comfort" product, it should not be confused with BA's WT+ or PE; those are separate classes of service, whereas "Comfort" will be preferred seats within Y. Thus, upgrades would still go to J. I personally like these "Comfort" products; for a small buy-up from any economy fare, one gets a bit of extra legroom. Indeed, for longhaul Y-class travel, except for AA/BA (where as BA EC G I can pre-reserve exit rows), I favor airlines that offer this product, at least on overnight flights.

Last edited by chalf; Aug 23, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
AA offer something like this (cabin extra?) free of charge to their own elites, incl ows/owe.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
It still makes for an attractive combination with the longhaul product, I must say.

If AY's Y+ will be considerably cheaper than BA's PE and I get the smooth and pleasant HEL over the hell of LHR, I could definitely live with a somewhat inferior product.
As long as your are segregated from Y-, the cabin ambience will steeply improve overall. That paired with the numerous Biz promos that AY runs will make me use them even more.

I do understand that those who use AY for EU travel do not embrace this shift though, I merely speaking from my personal tunnelvision.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by weero
It still makes for an attractive combination with the longhaul product, I must say.

If AY's Y+ will be considerably cheaper than BA's PE and I get the smooth and pleasant HEL over the hell of LHR, I could definitely live with a somewhat inferior product.
I agree, the new Economy Comfort product sounds a good move, curious to see how it works in practise. Just have to remember it's not a travel class like BA's but a new product in Y, something like what KLM have?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by remymartin
AA offer something like this (cabin extra?) free of charge to their own elites, incl ows/owe.
I hope they follow the same idea

I see that for some DEC14 flights they have already put P seating in the up front, but same number of rows still..
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Fims
I hope they follow the same idea

I see that for some DEC14 flights they have already put P seating in the up front, but same number of rows still..
Knowing finnair theyll sell premium seats that are actually the same as before premium or maybe theyll just crunch Y closer to each other im just a eternal pessimist
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Andaman
I agree, the new Economy Comfort product sounds a good move, curious to see how it works in practise. Just have to remember it's not a travel class like BA's but a new product in Y, something like what KLM have?
I think it helps them leverage the potential of HEL and their substantial Eastern network.

To me not having to fly through FRA from outside Schengen or through LHR from any direction is a a solid bonus. My last time through HEL, I had less than 8 minutes from an intercontinental arrival until gate close on my EU sector and made it with time to spare.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I note that prior posts reference the Y+ product being offered from "Fall 2014". Does anyone know more about the potential timing? I am contemplating an itinerary that would include a JFK-HEL segment, and if Y+ is installed this would be a major factor in favor of AY.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by chalf
I note that prior posts reference the Y+ product being offered from "Fall 2014". Does anyone know more about the potential timing? I am contemplating an itinerary that would include a JFK-HEL segment, and if Y+ is installed this would be a major factor in favor of AY.
I asked the same thing about JFK, and their answer was "Next year"...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:39 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
According to market communication today, comfort class will be available on all longhaul flights starting 15 december. The new headrests will not be in place on all flights until spring 2015.

Those who already have paid for a seat, can call AY to get a comfort seat and previously paid amount will be refunded.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
According to market communication today, comfort class will be available on all longhaul flights starting 15 december. The new headrests will not be in place on all flights until spring 2015.

Those who already have paid for a seat, can call AY to get a comfort seat and previously paid amount will be refunded.
Does anyone know when they will start the remodeling? I'm flying HEL-SIN on 16OCT and SIN-HEL on 26OCT. As of now, the AY website shows the old configuration and it shows my purchased front-row seat. Any chance there's gonna be Y+ on these flights?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition

I read this too on AY webpage. Kudos to AY ^
I think this is a nice Y improvement, especially for AY Gold+Plat free (dunno about OWS/E if they will get it for free). It makes me think choose AY instead of other carriers when flying on company Y policy.

IMO, dayflights are somewhat OK with simple seat provided there is more legroom so that you feel ok to recline your seat back as well. Redeyes I will simply look for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.