Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to introduce Y+ ("comfort")

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by typical
[Off topic]

Out of interest, how are you doing OneWorld to Dar? I'm here now and it's pretty much a OneWorld dead zone (except for Qatar, which now has to go all the way around Saudi on the way to Doha).

If you can get in without a visa (or you're arriving on a domestic flight), there are some malls and a cinema on the airport road to town. Does depend on the time you arrive and leave - airport to town can be anywhere between 15 minutes and 2 hours. You'd have more time if you take a boda boda (motorbike taxi), but that does depend on your risk appetite.

If you can't get in without a visa on arrival, you're going to spend an hour waiting for one. I'd probably just hang out at the lounge and eat the samosas.
I flew with South African from Windhoek (so Star Alliance indeed). But my long-hauls were with BA to South Africa and Namibia, and return back to Helsinki from Dar via Doha. I fly in from Zanzibar tomorrow noon so I have a visa. Thanks for the tip about traffic. Motorbike taxi is no problem but 1-2 hours coughing exhaust gas in traffic is! So lounge for me tomorrow then...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
I flew with South African from Windhoek (so Star Alliance indeed). But my long-hauls were with BA to South Africa and Namibia, and return back to Helsinki from Dar via Doha. I fly in from Zanzibar tomorrow noon so I have a visa. Thanks for the tip about traffic. Motorbike taxi is no problem but 1-2 hours coughing exhaust gas in traffic is! So lounge for me tomorrow then...
Ah nice!

So you're in Dar 12-5? I would not even think about bothering trying to make it to town. You'd be pushing it to get much more than 2 hours in a car (the motorbike taxis will get you to the airport in under 30 minutes, unless they get you dead).

The lounge is not as terrible as some in Africa; the chairs in the opposite corner from the entrance have power points nearby. I don't know when QR opens its desks though - you might have to head to the upstairs restaurant to kill some time.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by typical
Ah nice!

So you're in Dar 12-5? I would not even think about bothering trying to make it to town. You'd be pushing it to get much more than 2 hours in a car (the motorbike taxis will get you to the airport in under 30 minutes, unless they get you dead).

The lounge is not as terrible as some in Africa; the chairs in the opposite corner from the entrance have power points nearby. I don't know when QR opens its desks though - you might have to head to the upstairs restaurant to kill some time.
Thanks for the advice! Yes 12-17 now that departure is 1 h earlier than scheduled (due to situation in Doha?).
Ok enough off topic here
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Will Y+ seats be available for AY Golds free of charge when OLCI opens at T36/T24? Does this happen all the time, or maybe only if there're heavy Y loads but light Y+ loads?

Can Golds choose row 41 free of charge?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Can Golds choose row 41 free of charge?
Yes, I did that for an upcoming HEL - HKG after turning Gold in June.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:11 am

Keep in mind that 41H is the baby bassinet seat. Only baby seat in Y on A350.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Just noticed that Finnair have increased the fee for Economy Comfort. For my flight HEL-HKG the fee is now 95€ (previous fee was 85€ I think) and the upgrade on points has increased to 16 000 AY-points from previous 15k. Think it sucks because the product hasn't really changed and won't for some time until the new Premium Economy is introduced in late 2020 but probably in 2021. So no real arguments why the current Economy comfort has become more expensive.
The exit seats are now 85€ or 14000 points on my flight.

Think it's expensive as it is really with Finnair. Got my Economy comfort seats for 85€ thanks to a promotion in march with 10% off on seats when booking in advance.
Finnair should be more careful with increasing their fees. Personally I've been curious to explore SAS for some time but will stay put as I've already enough points for a couple business upgrades.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
the seats have been made non chargeable. I'm assured we can OLCI without difficulty now. Time will tell I guess? Here's hoping.
If the load in economy is over a certain threshold then economy comfort becomes available for free to anyone and the seat map doesn't show "economy comfort" anymore. So in this situation you should pay attention to the row number because some seats will have a lot more legroom than others. Economy comfort isn't a separate cabin so they will not turn economy passengers away and leave empty seats in economy comfort.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by riku2
If the load in economy is over a certain threshold then economy comfort becomes available for free to anyone and the seat map doesn't show "economy comfort" anymore.

What is this load and free Comfort seats come available where?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
What is this load and free Comfort seats come available where?
AY don't publish the figure and it's probably going to be after online check in opens but i'm not sure if OLCI might be open for a while before they switch.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: *G, AY Plat Lumo
New Y+ amenity kits found on 25JUL/AY141.
ECONOMY COMFORT TRAVEL KIT RENEWS FROM JULY 23 ON
The travel kit for our Economy Comfort customers renews from July 23 on. We upgrade the travel kit contents and introduce some sustainability improvements. The kit itself will be a carton box featuring artworks done exclusively for Finnair by a Finnish designer Reeta Ek.

The eye mask, socks, toothbrush and toothpaste in the travel kit will be upgraded. The new toothbrush is made of bioplastic containing cornstarch. The new travel kit includes overall less plastics than before. The front cover of the new travel kit features in total four different artworks by Reeta Ek. The cover of the carton box travel kit can be removed and used as a postcard.

The roll-out of the new Economy Comfort travel kits starts on July 23, 2019 and will be completed by the end of this year.
Can't post any pictures yet (< 5 posts to FT)...

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 27, 2019 at 10:31 am Reason: New member attempting to post images
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:52 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So... are they trying out a new eco-friendly concept in comfort first?
Perhaps the backlash from J where the barf-bag was not very well recieved make them move slowly on this one.
By the description this sounds better implemented than the barf-bag amenity kit, so let's see where this ends.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by intuition
So... are they trying out a new eco-friendly concept in comfort first?
Perhaps the backlash from J where the barf-bag was not very well recieved make them move slowly on this one.
By the description this sounds better implemented than the barf-bag amenity kit, so let's see where this ends.
Slightly OT, but one airline (KL?) had printed their barf bags with a text stating something along “welcome home”. Not quite sure what to think about that
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
It is quite a while I have been on eco comfort since. Someone can still say if I end up in eco comf (upgrade pending) on OH-LTS if I should pick 21L or rows behind to maximize legroom?

Originally Posted by intuition
Not really.
(this is getting somewhat off topic from "comfort-class" and have been discussed in other more fitting threads)

Since we get a lot of questions on how to find which config is flying I've been meaning to make a post reading that. I'll post a help here that helps finding airplane individual from studying seat map, but this flow chart is meant for a (sticky) FAQ post at a later stage.

How to find which airplane is scheduled on my AY flight, by looking at the Business or the Economy seat map.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by FFlash
It is quite a while I have been on eco comfort since. Someone can still say if I end up in eco comf (upgrade pending) on OH-LTS if I should pick 21L or rows behind to maximize legroom?
I've sat in 21J myself on LTS and it has plenty of legroom so 21L isn't a bad choice. I would definitely not take any comfort seats behind it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.