Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair reveals cabin design for next-generation Airbus A350 XWB aircraft

Finnair reveals cabin design for next-generation Airbus A350 XWB aircraft

Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Look forward to the new birds.

For J cabin, the Zodiac Cirrus III seats look similar to current J seats on AA's 77W and CX's Cirrus (from pics).

Larger windows and new lighting system, cool!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:05 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Great they have chosen 1-2-1 For Business Class. IMHO All the Airlines that have fitted 2-2-2 in 787's and new 777 and A330 are living in the last Decade.

As for BA's Dormitory Class they are living in the last Century.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I have mixed feelings about this.

- J looks great, except I'm not a fan of being so far away from the window (even in the window seat).

- Y+ sounds extremely useful at that price, but only if the extra cost is constant across all ticket classes. Premium economy is a complete no go if it ends up being 2x the price because you have to get the highest ticket class.

- 3-3-3 is good on the A350, but I'll miss 2-4-2. I'd pay three times their announced Y+ fee if it were 8 across instead of providing more legroom, but I guess that option didn't work out for them

- Needing to pay for snacks on European flights: really bad. I don't even demand a full meal. A cold sandwich and soda costs them very little. On the other hand, if they get creative with the menu and actually offer great value for, say, 8 euros, I might be kinda excited. (But mediocre meals for 15e or dry donuts for 5e would seriously annoy me)

- Average: on the positive side, but it really depends on what the food will be like and whether Y+ has reasonable ticket classes. Otherwise the A330's are nicer than this.

Last edited by heatsink; Aug 13, 2014 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AC*A
My view

- Similar idea to Air France for J (second cabin is removable based on demand)
- Great seat for J
- Intriguing to see how Eco+ will be received - AA has similar concept, but other partners have true Premium Economy
- While it is 9-abreast, more comfortable than the 787!

Orcair
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:13 am

I'll raise it again, if the cabin is removeable, how will they do this when there is no overnight slack in their schedule? I assume they won't have an idle aircraft standing by so this must be tied in to a new route which would allow them to create this space in the schedule but would be a logistical nightmare with size of their fleet.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:31 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As a result of the "comfort" addition, I start to wonder if they actually are planning to use this reconfig option very frequently.

If they plan to do it in switch between summer&winter season, it would be easy enough to plan an aircraft on the ground for the extra hours it needs.

Also, while no general overnight slack, many routes does not need all 24 hours, so I guess with some advance notice it would be possible to schedule and make one bird sit on the ground long enough. No worse than schedule maintenance, I suppose.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by intuition

If they plan to do it in switch between summer&winter season, it would be easy enough to plan an aircraft on the ground for the extra hours it needs.
I guess you're right and this will be summer / winter schedule switch rather than a week of low forecasted C demand.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:55 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Orcair
- Intriguing to see how Eco+ will be received
Orcair
Good question - few years back only VS/SK/BA had Premium Economy - now each airline tries to introduce this cabin... I doubt there is enough demand to make each airline successful with this product, though...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
According to Business Traveller the seat pitch in J will be (only) 78 inches as opposed to 82 in AA and CX similar seats.
Look the video, looks cramped?? Didn't feel at all cramped on AA new J ....
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...and-business-c
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:31 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Looks very cramped. Not just foot space, but also around the knees. That can seriously hamper sleep, as turning around is not easily done.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by ffay005
The word "slim" sounds frightening will the Y seats resemble those used in the A320-family? A 31" seat pitch on long haul doesn't exactly sound like an improvement although for most AY passengers it probably doesn't matter, their average height being around 5'
Honestly saying that pitch is the go-to measurement is a bit short sighted. If you lose 2" from the seath width, you have the exact same leg room if you reduce pitch by 2". I'm 6'1" (185cm) so while I'm not huge, I'm not exactly on the low end of things and definitely have problems. I find 31" pitch with slimline to be perfectly acceptable.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by heatsink
A cold sandwich and soda costs them very little.
Yeah, and you get what you (they) pay for. It's been quite a while since I ate the sandwich on offer in AY Y. I can perfectly well sit in a chair for 1-2-3 hours without munching on something I wouldn't touch on the ground. A cup of coffee and a glass of water is enough.

Originally Posted by heatsink
if they get creative with the menu and actually offer great value for, say, 8 euros, I might be kinda excited.
I think this is the concept of AB + the free red chocolate heart at the end of the flight ^
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I think this is the concept of AB + the free red chocolate heart at the end of the flight ^
AB also offers free booze. Somehow I dont see that happening on AY flights
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by panxta
AB also offers free booze. Somehow I dont see that happening on AY flights
AB does not offer free booze on s/h.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
It would be difficult for an airline based in HEL to offer free booze on short/medium haul. Too many Finns still think that all free alchohol must be drunk. That is one misconception that they are supposed to learn before they graduate, but not all of them do ;-) (and some flyers are not graduated)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.