Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hour 45 minutes long enough time to change planes in Helsinki?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Planing on buying a ticket to Bangkok from Bergen, flying all the way with Finnair. When the plane lands in Helsinki there is 1 hour and 45 minutes till the next one departs.

I am abit worried if this is too little time , as Im not sure when the next flight would leave should I miss the original flight.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since your itinerary is all on Finnair, your post has been moved to the dedicated airline forum where it will be seen those who are most knowledgable.

NOTE: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk — please reply accordingly.

Thanks everyone.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:18 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Vegard Hansen
Planing on buying a ticket to Bangkok from Bergen, flying all the way with Finnair. When the plane lands in Helsinki there is 1 hour and 45 minutes till the next one departs.

I am abit worried if this is too little time , as Im not sure when the next flight would leave should I miss the original flight.

Thanks!
Welcome to the AY+ Forum! Your connection time is more than enough, please read this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...ly-simple.html.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: Numerous
I do MAN to BKK via HEL about twice a year and the first time I booked this route I was concerned about having only 40 minute connection time for the HEL MAN return leg. Finnair assured me that it would not be a problem and it never has been.

Last edited by didnotbat; Jul 18, 2014 at 2:04 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the informative answers!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: AY+
AY also waits if the previous flight is late. (of course this is not 100% sure)

I had AY from TMP to HEL late 30 minutes and the Aeroflot to SVO waited until everybody got in. Might also be that it was last flight to SVO on that day.

Only negative point is that if the connection time is short and previous flight is late, no time for tax/free

edit: connection time was 1 hour, so even with 30 minutes I had enough time

Last edited by sama; Jul 19, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Yes!

Hi,

1h 45mins is plenty! I have done about 160 Schengen to Schengen transfers trough HEL with 40 min transfer time, and so far my I have managed to miss 4 fligths. This figure includes all flight delays .

My record is 20 minutes from the non-schengen(G33) to schengen (G17), altough you have to leg it a bit in order to make it. This includes the safety inspection and passport control queues. If you have non-EU/non-nordic passport, I would add about 15 mins of passport queuing on top of the 20 min minimum.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
My record from a taxi to the last gate non-Schengen side was 6 minutes including security and passport control. I think I had Usain beat with this one. Many thanks to a few FTers that helped out

I think 1h45m is therefore plenty!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by remymartin
My record from a taxi to the last gate non-Schengen side was 6 minutes including security and passport control. I think I had Usain beat with this one.
How about walking at leisurely pace?

I wonder if security comes after you if you run really fast in the facilities.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Did a BA798-AY361 LHR-OUL transfer once, I think wheels down at 23:24, with departure at 23:55… I was first off the plane from London, ran as fast as I possibly could from gate 37 to gate 25. I was the last pax on a full A320, doors closed after me and almost immediate pushback. The GA didn't even scan my BP, I was just waved through and told to keep running! I had quite a bit of carryon baggage with me as well, my god I wanted to stop and walk.. But not enough to spend the night at HEL!

Most time efficient transfer I ever did do, but so stressful I'd rather not put myself in that situation again. (Booked separately, under the MCT )
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Courmisch
How about walking at leisurely pace?

I wonder if security comes after you if you run really fast in the facilities.
No, they didn't. I was in an extreme hurry, it wasn't fun
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium

Thanks!
I travelled twice in last 14 months transiting at Helsinki. Let me assure you that 1 Hr 45 min is more than sufficient time to transit. Last time we had only 50 minutes transit time, & we made it easily.

You are flying from schenzen to non schenzen at helsinki. You have to cross & immigration at helsinki & it shall not take more than 15 minutes. Immiigration counter at helsinki had no waiting passengers each time i transited .
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
hi, so Im actually planning to fly Finnair for the first time in April next yr and having a dillema on which ones i should choose, so here i am hoping for advice on some Finnair frequent flyers...

the details are: i'm going, CDG-CPH via HEL, leaving CDG at 1050am, arriving 2.50pm, and then HEL-CPH departs at 3.40pm.. So that is 50mins transit time, is that enough? I probably will have a check-in luggage. My other choice would be leaving CDG 740am arriving HEL at 1130am, which is a long 4hrs layover..

Also, i found tickets for US$309 round trip, i could get slightly cheaper for US$260 round trip but the time is not preferable... Are these prices reasonable?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, that is enough. Even plenty of time.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks!
Yes, 1h 45min is plenty of time. Plane can be 1 hour late and still you will make it with ease. Its is really a tiny airport with 30 gates and simple floor plan.

I have done 41 separate 55 minute transfers in HEL, and so far I have missed 0 of these flights. I have also done 41 separate 40 minute transfers in HEL and missed 3 of them.

My personal best (running) is 5 minutes from gate to gate. And yes, nobody cares if you leg it in HEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.