Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Paid upgrades at Heathrow for long haul Finnair flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm flying Finnair for the first time in August, from LHR to KUL on Aug 12th. This involves brief stopovers in HEL and SIN.

From reading FlyerTalk it seems as though last minute upgrade offers aren't very common, especially compared to BA's MMB upgrade offers.

Does anyone know whether it is ever possible to upgrade at Heathrow, either at a sales desk or at check in? I'm in economy and am not looking forward to the 12 hour HEL-SIN flight!

Many thanks for any information!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Finnair offers class upgrades in exchange for Finnair points (at a slight discount over regular upgrades) from 24 to 1 hour before departure if they are business seats. In my understanding, those offers go to the economy passengers with highest points balances.

Hence paid ugprades are not possible; there is no such service at all. Short of Finnair Plus points, operational upgrade due to overbooking is your only chance.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Oh dear! At least I can resign myself to my fate now. Thanks for the information.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Depending on the aircraft and the booked seats there is a (slim) chance you can get a free "half upgrade", a Business seat with Economy service:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...gly-often.html
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:00 am

There might be a paid upgrade option nowadays. All I know is, I got an e-mail offering me an upgrade for HEL-SIN for EUR 499. The mail was sent a few days before the trip (early June), and was valid for 48 hours. However, I doubt this would be offered on check-in, but who knows.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Was that £499 one way? I'll look out for that, although I'm not sure I would always pay £499 for only one leg.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:46 am

Yep, 499 Euros one way. I got the upgrade with points instead, but should have tried to upgrade the return as well.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by theBro
There might be a paid upgrade option nowadays. All I know is, I got an e-mail offering me an upgrade for HEL-SIN for EUR 499. The mail was sent a few days before the trip (early June), and was valid for 48 hours. However, I doubt this would be offered on check-in, but who knows.
That is nice to know .... how many days out was that?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Note that paid upgrade doesn't give you higher earnings, unlike BA AUP.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by weero
That is nice to know .... how many days out was that?
I received the mail on 5th and the flight was on 18th, so roughly 2 weeks before.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:16 am

I received the mail on 5th and the flight was on 18th, so roughly 2 weeks before.
Thanks!

And was it a proper upfare with a new booking class or more like an instant upgrade like offered by other Euro carriers such as LX or OS?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:54 am

Thanks!

And was it a proper upfare with a new booking class or more like an instant upgrade like offered by other Euro carriers such as LX or OS?
I do not really know what is instant upgrade and what is a proper one, but this one was with all the normal business class services (including more luggage and lounge access), but the points according to original booking.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I do not really know what is instant upgrade and what is a proper one, but this one was with all the normal business class services (including more luggage and lounge access), but the points according to original booking.
Did your newly issued ticket show fare class F?

Thanks!

Usually (atleast I have never heard of anything else actually) AY does confirmed upgrades, ie changing ticket into fareclass F. The service class is business (seating, lounge access, extra luggage, prio security) but the milage earning class is econ (ie earning whatever the original ticketed fareclass earns)
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:09 pm

Thanks theBro & intuition

The 1K EUR for a return upgrade are then not all that valuable compared to their Biz promos.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Yes. For 500 EUR extra each way I'd want to be earning business tier points.

Thanks theBro & intuition

The 1K EUR for a return upgrade are then not all that valuable compared to their Biz promos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.