Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Schengen lounge at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Aspire is better than nothing for sure, it was more than satisfactory on my first visit on a Sunday morning a couple of weeks back, very quiet. During peak times, things may be different… (Though I will admit, the Silver Wings lounge was an absolute zoo at times as well…) So ^ to AY for the expansion + refurb.

Personally I'd be furious though, if I first had bought a J ticket, then paid 38€ for lounge access and finally been told that I'd have to pay an additional ±50€ for a bottle of some cheap plonk if I wanted champagne/sparkling wine…

Early closure is a as well, the AY lounge was nice for those late domestic connections. (Although food & beverage offerings were more than limited during the hour or two approaching closure. )

This could have been handled better by AY, at least provide some refreshment vouchers for J passengers etc.

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Jul 21, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:51 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I really, really wonder how that would be border control violation. I have valid travel documents, so I can cross the Finnish border at official border control points as often as I please. I cannot see any signs anywhere regarding this issue - I just put my passport on the scanner, the gate opens and that's it.

No security issues are involved either, as I pass within the safe zone.

Somehow I don't feel that AY is the authority on border crossing issues.
I do not know or even care that much, all I did was pass on the information as AY gave it to us with a polite request to put it on here.

The bottom line (at least to me) is that they do not want Schengen pax in the non-Schengen lounge. Simple as that.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Fairly quiet on the same day late morning.
Wednesday early morning dead quiet. Good thing is that they already open 5:30 am (vs AY's 6:00) so I can have my coffee & croissant without a hurry for the 6:xx flights

I flew AB on their 6:40 deparrture and my BA OWE card get me in with an eyebrow being raised.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
they do not want Schengen pax in the non-Schengen lounge. Simple as that.
Fair enough, if said in so many words. The border control mumbo-jumbo is unneccessary.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
It could well be that some rule requires pax entering the designated departure area to be have valid boarding pass for departure from that particular part of the terminal.

This might not be due to boarder control law in specific but more of an airport rule.

The same is valid for Schengen side, boarding pass required to go through security.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:02 am

Will they admit pax in transit to Schengen destinations?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:54 am

The lounge staff do not care about which side of the border you come from or are going to. If you have lounge access they will let you in.
I have spent two Saturday afternoons in a row in the non-Schengen lounge with nothing but Schengen-tickets. The staff politely reminded of the additional time it would take to walk to the Schengen gates when checking in.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
The bottom line (at least to me) is that they do not want Schengen pax in the non-Schengen lounge. Simple as that.
In my case I couldn't care less about what they want. My tickets included lounge access at the time of purchase. Later on they closed the lounge without informing me in any way.

I would never book a ticket with a five hour layover without lounge access anywhere.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by FlugE
In my case I couldn't care less about what they want. My tickets included lounge access at the time of purchase. Later on they closed the lounge without informing me in any way.

I would never book a ticket with a five hour layover without lounge access anywhere.
+1
My thoughts exactly!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: Miles and More
So the current situation for OW Sapphire connecting in HEL between 2 Schengen AY in Y flights= no lounge at all? I have a non-EU passport, so probably it is not a good idea to get into non-Schengen area without some pressing need.
I am quite angry at myself - I bought AY tickets over another carrier counting on these lounges. Could not realy imagine that it is possible not to have lounge access for 3 month at the main hub of OW carrier.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:36 am

I'm afraid that is correct, although if you have a Priority Pass or are willing to pay around 35€, you can use the Aspire lounge.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
The automatic gates to the non-Schengen area are officially available for European, EEA, Swiss, Japanese biometric passport holders. I think they also work for Korean and US-American passports, but it does not say so on the Finavia website.

There are no other ways to cross into the non-Schengen without a corresponding boarding card.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Flew euro-J with the SO the other day and it was funny to see a different lounge message in between BPs - "welcome to Aspire lounge" vs. "sorry for the inconvenience".
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AY,SK,SU,M&M,HH,IHG,Le
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
This could have been handled better by AY, at least provide some refreshment vouchers for J passengers etc.
They are, as a compensation J pax receives a 8€ chit from CI with happy smiles
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just updated my travel info and seats on AY account and at the same time found a paragraph on the same page where you can change seats:

Tarjoamme sinulle Finnair Loungen sisäänpääsymaksun alennettuun 39 € hintaan. Katso täältä tarkempi kuvaus Finnairin loungepalveluista.

As a lowly AY Gold, I think I will just neatly wait in line in HEL for the cattle to board and keep those 39€.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.