Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
Here we try to keep an up-to-date list of who-goes-where. Finnair may have tuned the boarding groups since the first introduction, so some entries here are not confirmed.

Pre-boarding (those in need of assistance, UM, travellers with children of any age)
Group 1: J-pax, AY Lumo, AY Plat, Oneworld Emerald
Group 2: AY Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Group 3: AY Silver, Oneworld Ruby
Group 4–5: Other customers, depending on seating

Assignment of group
Group is assigned based on ticket type and status of individual frequent flyer card attached to booking. All customers on the same booking are assigned the same group, i.e., based on the highest tier in the party.
The boarding groups are printed on paper boarding pass on every route with capital letters "GROUP 1". The group also appears on digital boarding passes.

Enforcement of Boarding order
Enforcement of groups is haphazard. Sometimes groups are called out, sometimes a call like "we invite our priority customers to board first or at any time". Groups are rarely checked on boarding though and on shorthaul no aids (like ribbons, signs) are used either. At HEL automatic boarding gates have been introduced which means "priority boarding" in now enforced.
Print Wikipost

Boarding groups - finally?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 5:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, by weight is the bigger problem if one wants to be within the limits.
I guess there is room for AY to raise that bar to say 12 KG in econ and 15KG Business.

I believe the load limit for a normal A320-family overhead, set by Airbus and/or authorities, is 76 kg for each 4-frame overhead. It will hold 4 bags if they are at maximum AY (and BA) size (plus a few smaller items). Therefore the theoretical maximum upper limit would be 19 KG for each bag. Unless BA has some special arrangements, allowing 23 KG in each bag most likely will lead to overload of overhead storage. And let's say people cram 23KG into smaller bags, so 6 bags fit into one 76KG bin. Mama mia.

Packing light is possible though. I use Samsonite ShortLite upright (55x40x20, empty weight 1,6kg), bring only lightweight computer et.c.
I recently did 10 days in Japan, carry-on only, and it weighed the allowed 10KG.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I recently did 6 days with carry-on only. It was one of those small Tumi bags. I didn't weigh it, but the 2 laptops probably tipped it over the 8kg limit.
Old May 23, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by intuition

Packing light is possible though. I use Samsonite ShortLite upright (55x40x20, empty weight 1,6kg), bring only lightweight computer et.c.
I recently did 10 days in Japan, carry-on only, and it weighed the allowed 10KG.
Unfortunately I need to carry a very specific set of computers and electronics to be able to work at the destination. One for the backend server development and one for iOS development. The backend server laptop alone weights almost 4kg with its power brick My Samsonite Business One bag (*) is 4kg when empty, so together they are 8kg - and I still need to pack my second laptop (not to mention the other electronics).

I weighted my cabin baggage before my trip and it was almost 15kg. I had no clothing or any personal items in the bag... It was actually pretty funny, because I had my 26" Travelpro as checked luggage, and it was lighter than my cabin bag :P

(*) Don't buy one - it sucks, but my smaller cabin bag can't hold all this stuff, and the larger one is more vulnerable to gate check (larger ones always look heavier even if they are within the allowed size) :P
Old May 27, 2014, 3:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Anyone in the know of who is in which group?
Group 1 seems to be AY plat and OW emerald according to posts here. I'm assuming statusless J-pax and travellers with infants is in this group too.

But how many groups are there? Since AY has extended lounge access to silver I'm inclined to think AY gold & silver go in group 1 and possibly OW sapphire too. If so, I can't really see there being more than two groups?
Old May 27, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Group 1 seems to be AY plat and OW emerald according to posts here. I'm assuming statusless J-pax and travellers with infants is in this group too.

But how many groups are there? Since AY has extended lounge access to silver I'm inclined to think AY gold & silver go in group 1 and possibly OW sapphire too. If so, I can't really see there being more than two groups?
I was returning from Seattle on last Sunday and my boarding pass for JFK-HEL, printed at Seatac read Group 3
This was a Pro-ticket, so priority boarding is included. As well as being AY Plat, and points-upgraded. (Hmmm.. 3 times Group 1 = Group 3?)
The gate agent looked surprised when I walked through the priority lane, but did not say anything.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Until now I have always received group 1 (AY Silver + points upgrade).
Old May 27, 2014, 6:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Lappe
... Group 3
This was a Pro-ticket, so priority boarding is included. As well as being AY Plat, and points-upgraded....
Originally Posted by Justinus
Until now I have always received group 1 (AY Silver + points upgrade).
Cool. Silver beats platinum.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Cool. Silver beats platinum.
Somehow AY seems to love me! As a "lowly" Silver I have received several times op-ups, including long haul flights...
Old May 27, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by GeeTee77
Enforced this morning well from HEL to ARN, however not announced coming back from ARN. Will work if you use the word Group X that is in your BP, at least seen it work with AA flights..
I was from ARN-HEL and there were 2 lanes which I don't remember seeing before. The other was priority, but both boarded same time, they just turned away people from priority lane who did not know what it is.

As for the discussion here of the oversize bags etc., my opinion is
-strict control of oversize bags, no exceptions for elites!
-keep exit-row bins closed&reserved for exit-row elites (which AY quite well does ^) and the same for J cabin bin
These tiny little efforts would revolutionaze the current ill-designed solution of priority boardings and rushes and people avoiding checking in bags and instead having carry-ons.
In the end, everyone would prefer to board LAST, just like me. Now I am forced to board first to play safe.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:57 am

If only allowed I always board last. I only have a smallish backpack and my jacket. Never had any problems fitting them somewhere near my seat.

This sundays they had sections boarding at LHR. First was C and last rows on Y etc.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by hrnt
8kg of hand baggage is not enough, not even close. The fact that I can have 23kg of hand baggage on BA is one the biggest reasons why I prefer to fly them instead of AY.
Second this. I have the 1,9 kg Rimowa Salsa Air (55x40x20 cm). When I take a few days biz-vacation trip I can nicely fit clothers, shoes etc. in and the baggage weighs 11-13 kg depending. Will fit nicely anywhere but weighs "too much". Funny how BA can accept 23 kg but Finnair 8 kg. Bins that different?

I am not bringing 23 kg on "stuff" in but the 8 kg is a bit of a problem.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
8kg is pretty dreadful, but at least they don't police it! (IME at least, never been asked to weigh my cabin bags at BRU/HEL/OUL)

It does get worse though, SN has a neat weight limit for Y of 6kg!
Old May 27, 2014, 11:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

CX routes operated by KA has 5 KG carry-on in J...
Old May 28, 2014, 12:25 pm

At least AY golds in group 1. (on the other hand, the newspapers in Y seem to be a plat only benefit nowadays...)
Old May 28, 2014, 12:29 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Lowly AY Silver, in whY (I know, I know..) Group 1 - ARN-HEL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.