Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
Here we try to keep an up-to-date list of who-goes-where. Finnair may have tuned the boarding groups since the first introduction, so some entries here are not confirmed.

Pre-boarding (those in need of assistance, UM, travellers with children of any age)
Group 1: J-pax, AY Lumo, AY Plat, Oneworld Emerald
Group 2: AY Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Group 3: AY Silver, Oneworld Ruby
Group 4–5: Other customers, depending on seating

Assignment of group
Group is assigned based on ticket type and status of individual frequent flyer card attached to booking. All customers on the same booking are assigned the same group, i.e., based on the highest tier in the party.
The boarding groups are printed on paper boarding pass on every route with capital letters "GROUP 1". The group also appears on digital boarding passes.

Enforcement of Boarding order
Enforcement of groups is haphazard. Sometimes groups are called out, sometimes a call like "we invite our priority customers to board first or at any time". Groups are rarely checked on boarding though and on shorthaul no aids (like ribbons, signs) are used either. At HEL automatic boarding gates have been introduced which means "priority boarding" in now enforced.
Print Wikipost

Boarding groups - finally?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Justinus
Personally I do not like these boarding groups at all.

It would be much better to have two lines: one for J and status pax and another one for Y (that is the case with AA, CX etc.). This means that J and status pax can board whenever they want without all the hassle.
+1

I also like this and a lot of airports are also well equipped to handle it. Like AMS, with steeel bars separating the lines and where prio boarding works excellently.

Also, this system alllows for a lot of fleixibilty. When prio line is empty, agent can wave over pax from main line, while keeping an eye open for prio pax arriving later.
It is the exact same system used at check-in (separated prio and non-prio checkin desks) so why invent a group system?

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Not sure Finns like that. The last time on A3 a Finnish woman was complaining that I jumped the queue when using the dedicated priority line.
I think implementation has a lot to do with it. If airport has a lot of visual guides, proper "hardware" and agents are proactive and acting in the boarding area it would be understood and accepted. (Most people understand the check-in desks, so why not the boarding?)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I am not that convinced with the setup at AMS. I've seen the economy lane overflow at its entrance, blocking the way to the business/priority lane. And that was only for a B737 to HEL.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
AY754, BUD-HEL, on Tuesday July 11 was a total mess. Quiet unclear announcement in Hungarian and English that business/elites will board first, followed by a mad rush to the gate. No enforcement of groups - not impressed at all. Why is priority boarding so hard to fix?

Luckily the cabin crew was excellent, we arrived in Helsinki 15mins early and just had to wait a few minutes for our bag - arriving among the first bags.

Last edited by vulle; Jul 14, 2017 at 1:31 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I am not that convinced with the setup at AMS. I've seen the economy lane overflow at its entrance, blocking the way to the business/priority lane. And that was only for a B737 to HEL.
But for AY long haul flights this works (almost) perfectly at least at HEL. For short haul flights it would be sufficient to have only two lanes: premium (J + status) and economy.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Justinus
But for AY long haul flights this works (almost) perfectly at least at HEL. For short haul flights it would be sufficient to have only two lanes: premium (J + status) and economy.
It does not always work that well. Where the priority and normal lanes are well separated by the width of the gate desk, it works. When they are right next to one another, not so much - even in the non-Schengen area.

I think the biggest issue boils down to the distance between the entrance of each queues. If they are far, it works. If they are close, or the same location, it simply does not. Finnair or other. Helsinki or elsewhere. That's why I think AMS is not that great.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by vulle
AY754, BUD-HEL, on Tuesday July 11 was a total mess. Quiet unclear announcement in Hungarian and English that business/elites will board first, followed by a mad rush to the gate. No enforcement of groups - not impressed at all. Why is priority boarding so hard to fix?

Luckily the cabin crew was excellent, we arrived in Helsinki 15mins early and just had to wait a few minutes for our bag - arriving among the first bags.
Can only confirm this... Yesterday's AY 756 BUD-HEL was no better. Arrived to the gate at the scheduled boarding time, but pax was still leaving the plane. However, already then a long queue was formed and people were standing in line, waiting to board the plane. When boarding started, they've announced first in Hungarian then in English that status + J pax can board first or whenever want. No one cared about it and boarding groups were not enforced at all...

My experience with the luggage delivery in HEL was somewhat different than yours: while they started surprisingly fast the delivery, our "priority" suitcases arrived literally among the last ones...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Boarding at HEL gate 28 today, and it was my first time with the automated boarding gates.
"Priority boarding" consisted of "Now boarding groups 1-3". Staff were keeping away from the gates and very absent. 2 pax whose boarding passes were not accepted by the e-gate was just sent away (is there no handling of BPs at the gate anymore?!) These 2 pax boarded plane later and sat in J - unclear if they were op-up, but never the less they had to go elsewhere to get new BPs.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
These 2 pax boarded plane later and sat in J - unclear if they were op-up, but never the less they had to go elsewhere to get new BPs.
I've been op-upped at an e-gate in HEL on an AY flight. When showing my BP the gate showed the text "please take receipt" (or something similar) and opened the gate. It printed me a small paper slip saying something like "New seat number: 8C Business class".
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

OK, good to know.
The couple had paper BPs and then there probably was some other issue. Anyway, gate attendants just sent them eastwards, possibly to transfer desk. I was surprised to see them board in time (going to transfer desk can take a while).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
In my experience the e-gate rejects BP's for exit rows, and those pax must board manually via the agent but this feature can be controlled by the GA.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
In my experience the e-gate rejects BP's for exit rows, and those pax must board manually via the agent but this feature can be controlled by the GA.
Err... all my AY flights are exit seats and no rejections.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by duvin
Err... all my AY flights are exit seats and no rejections.
Well, they must've changed it. It's a welcomed improvement.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
It depends on whether the exit seat eligibility has been checked. Having OLCIed, I was stopped by the gate yesterday because the gate agent had to check my eligibility. I was already hoping for a op-up getting that red beep.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Having OLCIed, I was stopped by the gate yesterday because the gate agent had to check my eligibility. I was already hoping for a op-up getting that red beep.
Exactly my experience, but having checked in at the counter apparently bypasses the red beep?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Exactly my experience, but having checked in at the counter apparently bypasses the red beep?
Yes, I suppose that it does. I have had the Swissport agent at CDG insist on speaking English to check my eligibility (I was wondering why at first, as I started in French) - so they have to keep track of it somewhere.

Or it might be that the agent faisl to do that and you are reseated. This happened to me at KUN bag drop.

Last edited by Courmisch; Aug 25, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.