Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Finnair refund

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Question about Finnair refund

I book ticket yesterday and decide to cancel. I have already cancelled my reservation on the web and filled the refund form. So how long it takes Finnair to refund this airfare? Should I contact the customer service?
Old May 16, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
I got a ticket refunded to my credit card. It was dated on the same day as the purchase. Don't know how long it actually took but no more than 2-3 weeks. No need to contact customer service unless you don't get the money or are in a hurry.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cistavoda
I got a ticket refunded to my credit card. It was dated on the same day as the purchase. Don't know how long it actually took but no more than 2-3 weeks. No need to contact customer service unless you don't get the money or are in a hurry.
got it!
Thank you very much!
Old May 17, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Out of curiosity - did you get refunded the whole ticket or just according to your bookings class (full/partial/taxes&fees only), since you cancelled on the same day?

I am asking this since there is a "small print" on AY that any ticket can be cancelled within 24h. AY does not speak aloud about this unlike SAS who market their 24h-cancel option with big fonts. I have used that option with SAS, but never tried on AY tix.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:15 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Do you have a link to that 24h cancellation period? I haven't noticed such a text on AY. Could come in handy.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
"Jos varaus on tehty vähintään seitsemän päivää ennen lennon aikataulun mukaista lähtöä, voi sen perua 24 tunnin sisällä varauksesta maksutta. Ota yhteyttä asiakaspalveluumme."

https://www.finnair.com/FI/FI/customer-care/refund-form

I read this like if you buy a non-refundable campaign ticket, you will get all money back in 24h?
Old May 18, 2014, 9:08 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
"Jos varaus on tehty vähintään seitsemän päivää ennen lennon aikataulun mukaista lähtöä, voi sen perua 24 tunnin sisällä varauksesta maksutta. Ota yhteyttä asiakaspalveluumme."

https://www.finnair.com/FI/FI/customer-care/refund-form

I read this like if you buy a non-refundable campaign ticket, you will get all money back in 24h?
Yep, this might have something to do with general consumer protection.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
https://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/flights/service-fees

The actual wording there is "...cancel ... without a refund fee" - I read that as the service fee (around 60€) that you usually have to pay just to process the refund is voided. It doesn't really say weather or not refund itself is 100% of paid ticket price. Would be interesting to here from OP.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do we have any evidence, what the 24 hour cancellation policy of Finnair really means?
1. Just the refund fee (usually EUR 75 for partially refundable tickets) is waived?
2. The entire ticket is refunded regardless of fare rules?

Last edited by warakorn; Apr 26, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:30 pm
Moderator, Finnair

No evidence AFAIK, but I read it as full refund, regardless of cancellation policy of ticket. To know for sure, contact customer service!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
To know for sure, contact customer service!
It takes them probably some weeks to answer.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
My experience is:

I bought non-refundable tickets, cancelled them within 24-hours, full amount refunded. Although it took a long time, 2-3 weeks, for Finnair to get the cancellation to the credit card company.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by The_Director
My experience is:

I bought non-refundable tickets, cancelled them within 24-hours, full amount refunded. Although it took a long time, 2-3 weeks, for Finnair to get the cancellation to the credit card company.
Yes "katumisaika"-like they said - is 24 hours. Same thing with Lufthansa.

Last edited by ylefin; Apr 26, 2016 at 5:46 pm Reason: No text
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
And because you can cancel and get a full refund in the first 24h after purchase also e.g. name changes are done without fee in that period.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by Jainzar
And because you can cancel and get a full refund in the first 24h after purchase also e.g. name changes are done without fee in that period.
And any other changes - as long as you remember to mention that you have the option of cancelling and rebooking. Some years ago I typoed a name and had to pay 25 euros for correction, and only later remembered the 24 hour policy. Also fare difference may apply.

In the US this is based on DOT regulation, not sure if there is actual regulation elsewhere. Most reputable airlines either give free 24 hour hold or cancellation, but for example Icelandair used to have this apply only US flights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.