Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Mobile phone 'app'

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Airport codes are a blast from the past, especially for countries that change geographic/city names often, like ex-Soviet republics. Just a few (old/new city name)
Yeah, but it's not just that the code is based on the old name. The app lists all flights and destinations on the front page, and there it clearly says Helsinki – Tselinograd. No abbreviations and no Astana.

My BA-issued e-ticket confirmation does say Astana, but for luggage allowance, it says Helsinki to Tselinograd.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
These are perfectly valid transcriptions even today, just not the Pinyin ones (AFAIK they mirror the Cantonese pronounciation of these cities, not the Putonghua) Used in many countries, also Finland.
Sure. In my mother tongue, the official names are still Canton, Pékin, Nankin, Tsingtao and Shanghaļ, and I use them. Finnish and Swedish also still uses those variants. As do basically all Western languages other than English.

But AFAICT, the official names in English, as they are registed at the UN, use the Pinyin spelling. And then there's the issue that, except for Canton and Peking, most historical names are not very well known.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Yeps, Pinyin is Pinyin, nothing to do with even English. I was lost for a while when Asian/Chinese acquintances talked about "Shaomi" phones, until I worked out they meant the product spelled Xiaomi - no way an English speaker would pronounce it correctly based on the written form.

I'm still undecided about using Port Arthur or Dalian
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:53 am

I received an invitation to a survey on the mobile app (with a personalised link). There's a raffle, two participants will win 50k AY+ points each.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Raffles, raffles, raffles... when do gamification managers get their summer holiday?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
New version now has a native book a flight (ie not a link to the mobile website)

It has the user interface that was tested in the target groups a few months back.

It also pulls the information from your profile to speed up the booking, a big plus.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AY Silver
Todays iOS update brings ability to pay for business class upgrade with credit card within app. Though I guess everyone here would use points/voucher/wait for an offer...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
Todays iOS update brings ability to pay for business class upgrade with credit card within app. Though I guess everyone here would use points/voucher/wait for an offer...
Looks rather reasonable prices actually, one of my upcoming European trips is now showing a price tag "? 4 000 000 000,00". Depending what currency the "?" is then it might be cheap or expensive.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Checked a couple of my SH flights. Only gives me the option to upgrade with points or vouchers.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Two long haul tickets within a week.

1st one no cash price offered ("call us to upgrade") but upgrade functionality visible on both legs.

2nd one no upgrade button.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AY Silver
Originally Posted by miikka
Looks rather reasonable prices actually, one of my upcoming European trips is now showing a price tag "? 4 000 000 000,00". Depending what currency the "?" is then it might be cheap or expensive.
Bargain!

Originally Posted by aapee
Checked a couple of my SH flights. Only gives me the option to upgrade with points or vouchers.
Originally Posted by remymartin
Two long haul tickets within a week.

1st one no cash price offered ("call us to upgrade") but upgrade functionality visible on both legs.

2nd one no upgrade button.
Not got any flights booked so can't check - this was what it said in the change log for the app: 'You can now purchase an upgrade to business class with credit card'...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Not sure if it matters, but I am not logged in and have just fed pnr's. the other question is are these based on bids or fixed price offers ? If the latter, would one be sent the offer by email/SMS (targeted) or is this an open, new offer (probably not).
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:16 pm

Just did an upgrade with the iPhone app using points. On confirmation page, it said that 0 points will be deducted from my account. Too bad the correct 50 000 was in fact taken despite the previous claim.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Silly silly me...

Yesterday I updated the app and decided to play with the upgrade for money, just to see how they've implemented it. But I guess I wan't focused enough.
Saw the "Purchase upgrade" button and pushed it expecting to be presented with options to purchase, but this button was of course the final confirmation for the options pre-selected higher up on the same screen. Realising my mistake, I hastily exited the app and even shut down the device.
"Pling" says my mailbox, and voilą a new e-ticket is delivered. ARN-HEL in F. 7500 points deducted for 55 minutes of nothing extra.

Like icing on the cake, this was applied to the same ticket already mentioned in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28574958-post529.html so full of shame I had to contact CS and ask to have this ticket downgraded for the second time in less than 24 hours.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Like icing on the cake, this was applied to the same ticket already mentioned in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28574958-post529.html so full of shame I had to contact CS and ask to have this ticket downgraded for the second time in less than 24 hours.
This ticket truly is the victim of tough luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.