Finnair Mobile phone 'app'

Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Some further observations regarding the app:

1. It has some logic built in to determine what "one trip" is. It presents the complete r/t trip together, unless another PNR splits it.
The feature to keep one "trip" together is a bit important, because you scroll sidewise to find next step of your trip. When the app decides your trip has ended, you cannot scroll to the next step. You need to go back to the menu and select another trip.
AFAIK it cannot combine PNRs, and I prefer if you easily could split and merge trips. For instance - all segments within a specified date interval should be one trip.

2. It offers upgrade for points - but it does not seem to know the (new?) rule of connecting shorthaul being included in longhaul upgrade price. It offers SH upgrade at 7500p separately from LH upgrade at 50000p

3. It finds upgrade space when the website says there is none available. Since also MMB finds upgrades that the search tool does not, I'd say that this is just another proof that the search tool is flawed.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Some further observations regarding the app:

1.AFAIK it cannot combine PNRs, and I prefer if you easily could split and merge trips. For instance - all segments within a specified date interval should be one trip.
Not for me, thanks. I normally have 3-4 trips open at any one given time and combining them into one trip would really mess up things.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, I can see the issue you are talking about.
I was thinking somthing like traveller should be given a tool to manage the trips to his/her own liking. But I'm comparing it to the general travel apps, maybe that's is unfair.

Trying to use the app "all along my journey" like it is marketed, I discover I miss some of the MMB features, like view/choose seat, select meal.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:07 am

The iPhone app just lost my flight that departs in about 9 hours. Even though, the flight re-appeared after a few minutes, this really makes me feel uncomfortable to travel trusting only the Finnair app. Why don't they provide an option to add the boarding pass to Passbook? (Now that I noticed the problem beforehand, I do have the BP on Passbook, but getting it there was a bit more difficult than just clicking a button on Finnair app.)

I also noticed that the Android app does not give luggage allowance information. The luggage allowance info on Android app might prove useful when flying with light fares and wanting to check one bag (that is allowed by status).

Of course, the app is quite useful to give quick overall view of the points, vouchers and all, but there are some improvements to be done...
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not having an "add to passbook" button is really an issue. Now you have to go via the Safari check-in route to do that
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Not having an "add to passbook" button is really an issue. Now you have to go via the Safari check-in route to do that
Hola

Have to agree! Now that I have apple watch i had to go to mobile site to get the passbook function and then it will swing into the apple watch.

On the whole though I do like the app. Usually use it to see check in situation hoping for op upgrade. =)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum
The way status increases and the app work seems a bit broken.

I just qualified for Gold (currently Silver), and rather than update itself the app says "Points to Gold: -4755" (note the negative number).

Today, I finally called Finnair and they told me that the status will only get updated automatically at the end of the tracking period, and if it happens significantly earlier, they have to edit your account manually.

Seems like an awfully inefficient way for them to run things internally, and bad customer service in the sense that they presumably want people to be delighted by the app when they reach a new status. When it behaves like this, the anticipation that the counter built up just fizzles out.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heatsink
Today, I finally called Finnair and they told me that the status will only get updated automatically at the end of the tracking period, and if it happens significantly earlier, they have to edit your account manually.
If the agent was correct, this is something VERY new - I hit Gold with 10 months left till the end of the tracking period and the status showed correctly from day 1 (or 2)

How is you full membership page? Does it show Gold?

Try to log out and back in tho the app, if that would help.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If the agent was correct, this is something VERY new - I hit Gold with 10 months left till the end of the tracking period and the status showed correctly from day 1 (or 2)

How is you full membership page? Does it show Gold?

Try to log out and back in tho the app, if that would help.
The website has been showing Silver too, so logging out of the app isn't going to help, unfortunately.

Maybe she actually wanted to say it happens automatically *at the end of the week*? That would be a lot less weird (although still not acceptable, really).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I thought it happened at the end of the current month (before the app was a thing). Thus it sucked to reach a higher tier in the last month of the tracking period, as you could not get the new upgrade vouchers for the current period.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:04 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
Hi heatsink Can you tell when your tracking period ends?

Originally Posted by heatsink
The way status increases and the app work seems a bit broken.

I just qualified for Gold (currently Silver), and rather than update itself the app says "Points to Gold: -4755" (note the negative number).

Seems like an awfully inefficient way for them to run things internally, and bad customer service in the sense that they presumably want people to be delighted by the app when they reach a new status. When it behaves like this, the anticipation that the counter built up just fizzles out.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
Hi heatsink Can you tell when your tracking period ends?
It actually ends this month, so this should solve itself within a few days. I'm mostly surprised that it's set up like this . The way the app behaves makes it look like something is wrong. It should *at least* congratulate you and tell you there will be a slight delay. But even then, ideally the same process would update both the points and the status.

Edit: If Courmisch is correct, the rep only referenced the end of my tracking period because it coincides with the next end of month. While that's more reasonable, I still think it should be realtime. The card can take that long to show up in the mail for all I care, but users will expect all the online stuff to be in sync with your actual number of points.

Last edited by heatsink; Jul 29, 2015 at 2:57 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Let me be the first to extend a warm welcome to FinnairPlus, as we do to all new posters! I hope you are able to stick around and contribute to flyertalk. Some other fora has very successful and active interaction with company representatives and it is surely to the benefit of both community and airline.
Again, welcome, and I'm sure others will follow to say the same!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:56 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
OK, so the tier cannot change dynamically in the last week of your tracking period- this is just a cut-off date in the system. So if your tracking period ends at the end of this month your Gold tier will start 1st of August and you will get your card in about 2,5 weeks. Hope this explains

Thank you for the warm welcome intuition!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
OK, so the tier cannot change dynamically in the last week of your tracking period- this is just a cut-off date in the system.
Very interesting! Thank you. I guess this is kind of an edge case, but maybe the app could still notify users when it happens

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.