Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

After lately reading a nice AY trip report I just thought how demanding customer I might be towards AY (reportedly some others here as well ) so I thought to give some positive feedback instead. I tried to look for a thread with Soft product experiences where AY does a good job or gives (especially unofficial) elite recognition.

I could find one link here but nothing of a "generic thread"

IMO AY does a good job on "soft" elite recognition on some areas.

One example is "soft seat blocking" or exit-row blocking for elites. I have found by experience from my times as basic/silver/gold that they really try to keep the neighbour seat free and block exit row seats for elites until the end of check-in. I have got many times free seat next to me as Silver, even better so as Gold. I have also seen several times my Platinum colleaques having the last remaining seat (exit seat!) blocked on otherwise full plane. ^^

Another recent experience I had: I just turned Silver->Gold and had a flight to take my wife to Paris. Gold level not yet updated on my account, I simply called the AY Gold service number and explained: account not yet updated, but the last qualifying flight just taken, is there any way to fix an upgrade by vouchers for the upcoming HEL-CDG flight? The agent thought a while: "well, I can upgrade you with the points and see to it next week to reinstate those points back and deduct the vouchers when your account is updated to Gold". And she did ^

3rd experience I have seen many times are the newspapers, which are not anymore free in Y. I have never got a free newspaper as Silver, but on my latest flight the FA unexpectedly tapped on my shoulder "would you like a newspaper as gold member?". A few weeks ago I was flying with a Plat colleaque - while he was sleeping, the FA came to him and silently added newspapers to his seat pocket just like that ^

You might have more experiences to share and may moderators move this thread if it belongs better elsewhere
Old May 6, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SK Silver, AB Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Not sure it was seat blocking or just coincidence, the seat next to me was the only one not taken in exit rows on my first flight on Finnair as a OWE last week.

Last edited by teekkari; May 7, 2014 at 4:45 am Reason: typo
Old May 6, 2014, 11:40 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Seat blocking and newspapers, check. Also, start of holiday last June HEL-FCO in Y, ordered two champagnes, was told they were on the house (in low voice, we Finns don't want this broadcast). In March flew NRT-HEL in Y, was given seat in the mini biz cabin, and the (very good) purser came up for chat after the take-off and told me that whatever drinks I wanted from the front, just let them know. "Unless you plan to drive afterwards?" I assured him this was not the case.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
As OWS, I've never received an offer for a newspaper. Perhaps this will change once I hit OWE? Seat blocking has worked on many occasions, however not on my last flight in exit row, probably due to a full flight.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:11 am

As AY Gold I have been lucky with the open seat next to me on many flights. However the newspapers are a bit hit or miss. Occasionally I see them distributed in the Y cabin - just not to me...

On JFK flight in Y I received the J class noise cancelling headset - that was a nice gesture.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... !
I was planning to start exactly this topic and had prepared a few notes. Seeing the title, for a split second I thought I totally lost it and somehow in my sleep managed to post it without remembering I did!
Old May 7, 2014, 7:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by niko
As AY Gold I have been lucky with the open seat next to me on many flights. However the newspapers are a bit hit or miss. Occasionally I see them distributed in the Y cabin - just not to me...

On JFK flight in Y I received the J class noise cancelling headset - that was a nice gesture.
Can confirm the noise canceling headset as OWS. However I only got it on a CKG-HEL flight (low to almost no frequent flyers), and not on the HEL-HKG flight where presumably the J cabin was full and the Y cabin also full of status PAX.. might have something to do with that.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:28 am

Haven't flown AY l/h in 6 months now so when did this noise cancelling stuff start?
Old May 7, 2014, 9:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Seat block - IME it is hit&miss. I guess there is some kind of policy, but also some glitch to make it fail on many occasions. Possibly OLCI or CI-agents can override it? Or perhaps it is only supposed to work in Y?

Recently in 2C, on A320 where all middle seats are supposed to be blocked, two non-status pax got seated in 2AB when row 3,4 and 5 was completetly empty. Purser saw the situation and suggested to 2AB to move to row 3 after take off. But a really strange seat assignment.

Priority to select meal - During a period I and other status holders were always asked food preference first in the cabin. This seems to not be the case anymore. Lately I've found 'Food-preference-asking' starting with 1DH and working its way back. Perhaps they do the prioritizing in the galley afterwards.

Status acknowledge - Sometimes purser aknowledges my status (which I really appreciate, but I know many thinks this is not a perk or even annoying). I have found it to only happen with "the good" pursers, ie those who generally are committed to their work and in harmony. Usually just a discrete "Welcome back", "Good to see you again" or "Thanks for flying with us today".

Upgrade clearing - I have once had a upgrade clear despite no availability. However, it was on Euro-C so I'm not sure it has any relevance.

Bend-ze-rules - And the most strange type of benefit I've come across (and I'm not really sure it even exists): On at least 2 occasions I have called AY+ service centre and asked for a small bending of rules. For example: "My bag is a tad bigger than the allowed 158cm, could you allow it?" and have been answered "No, the rules are the rules. But you are platinum so I'm sure CI will allow it". I have been baffled every time I get this re-assuring but uncommited answer, but so far it has worked.

I don't know if service centre staff just thinks "surely everyone in our organization must care for our frequent flyers" or there really is an unofficial widespread rule of being tolerant towards FFs. Some parts of AY certainly does not cut plats any slack (yes operations, I'm looking at you)

And a note about an official perk:
Seat selection - I'm usually in J (where seat selection is free for all) but the few times I'm in Y it works just fine. However, the most attractive seats (for me) are always blocked off, ie the 2 first rows of Y. Maybe because curtain will move

Also, a few times in J I have been bumbed out of my selected seat for no apparent reason. NB not for operational reasons, it is just that checkin have assigned my seat to someone else.

I have even been bumped out of a selected seat just to find the original seat empty at checkin. I asked and got back my seat, but was met with "the evil eye" from seat neighbour once boarded.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Status acknowledge - Sometimes purser aknowledges my status (which I really appreciate, but I know many thinks this is not a perk or even annoying). I have found it to only happen with "the good" pursers, ie those who generally are committed to their work and in harmony. Usually just a discrete "Welcome back", "Good to see you again" or "Thanks for flying with us today".
Compared to BA where I'm now referred to as "Mr. martin" occasionally as a lowly OWS.

Edit: ok, to be fair, something like "mr. mirszsfdfin"

Last edited by remymartin; May 7, 2014 at 9:53 am
Old May 7, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AY,SK,SU,M&M,HH,IHG,Le
Does anyone have recent experiences of using AY lounge as an arrival one? If that perk still working, with which status and/or tix?
Old May 7, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by teekkari
Not sure it was seat blocking or just coincidence, the seat next to me was the only one not taken in exit rows on my first flight on Finnair as a OWE last week.
Empty neighbor seat is not a coincidence. I twice had the opportunity to verify that the booking system enforces it, while relatives were scheduled on the same flight but different reservation. I could preselect the seat next to him/them, but not vice versa. There even seems to be a bug there: an elite cannot select to the seat next to the currently selected seat because it is always blocked.

As for other unofficial benefits, I was once offered a free glass of champagne on AY72 (now replaced by JL414) as AY+Silver. I think the cabin crew was bored because there were more empty seats than occupied ones.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by superpahkina
Does anyone have recent experiences of using AY lounge as an arrival one? If that perk still working, with which status and/or tix?
I cannot guarantee but I guess it works for Plats, since I landed a couple of months ago in HEL in the evening hours, connecting next morning, so on my way out to hotel I headed first to Schengen lounge and asked if they let me in (to grab some free supper ) - the desk lady told me "you would need to be Plat for that", so I was not let in. Just tried my luck

By the same token, Plats should get arrival access.

In the past you could get into AY lounge as Plat even if flying on non-OW carrier, but does that perk (unofficial as well??) work still?
Old May 7, 2014, 2:35 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Reading all these stories makes me think should I give AY long haul whY the first try in over ten years...

...but then the reality hits me again and the answer is a clear no

Kudos to all you top elites who can still cope with long haul coach travel..personally I'd rather stay home (and actually do) than fly coach overseas but also fully understand that's not an option for all...2-3hrs is the absolute maximum I can stand most coach cabins..

And for the record and to avoid any misunderstanding/attitude, no, I do not fly with an open account for paid LH J, all I'm saying is that me and long haul whY just do not match...not even remotely..and hence I only do J for long haul.

Regardless this thread is a nice read!
Old May 8, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: AY,SK,SU,M&M,HH,IHG,Le
Originally Posted by FFlash
By the same token, Plats should get arrival access.

Will try that at June when first AY l/h with a black plastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.