Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by niksal
What about lounges? The official rules say one guest but what about taking the family.
Just to echo what everybody else is saying: I asked about the family policy at HEL Schengen lounge and was told that they allow all under 18 years old family members even though it is not a written policy.
I have never had an issue going through non-automated priority security with family or one or two fellow passengers whose BPs did not have Priority / Fast Track etc. Including places like LHR where you scan BP on a manned checkpoint.
No issues bringing a bunch of fellow non-status passengers to first/business check-in desks either.
All above with same or separate PNRs.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:13 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Lappe
Just to echo what everybody else is saying: I asked about the family policy at HEL Schengen lounge and was told that they allow all under 18 years old family members even though it is not a written policy.
I have never had an issue going through non-automated priority security with family or one or two fellow passengers whose BPs did not have Priority / Fast Track etc. Including places like LHR where you scan BP on a manned checkpoint.
No issues bringing a bunch of fellow non-status passengers to first/business check-in desks either.
All above with same or separate PNRs.
I've never had any problems taking my whole family (spouse and two kids) to HEL Schengen lounge and the normal non-Schengen lounge.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by SPBanker
I've never had any problems taking my whole family (spouse and two kids) to HEL Schengen lounge and the normal non-Schengen lounge.
No problems entering the premium lounge with same configuration either.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
No problems entering the premium lounge with same configuration either.
Important caveat: If traveling on BA ticket, you can't take the whole family to Premium Lounge.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (Lifetime Gold), HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Important caveat: If traveling on BA ticket, you can't take the whole family to Premium Lounge.
I need to disagree this. BA ticket worked fine for me and my family (5 persons altogether) a few weeks back when entering to Finnair premium lounge.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by FinOWE
I need to disagree this. BA ticket worked fine for me and my family (5 persons altogether) a few weeks back when entering to Finnair premium lounge.
Last February we were denied entry, after consultation with a supervisor. If rules have changed, nice.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by FinOWE
Was told that a 4 year old is considered as a guest at Schengen lounge when flying with family on CX tickets. The agent graciously made an exception after she told me that CX is not part of Oneworld to begin with.

Same thing happens at other Oneworld lounges, every second time we get the one guest policy comment when entering with family. Although every time an exception has been made...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by niko
Was told that a 4 year old is considered as a guest at Schengen lounge when flying with family on CX tickets. The agent graciously made an exception after she told me that CX is not part of Oneworld to begin with.
OMFG! They have a nice laminated sheet showing all OW airlines and their different cards...
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: Finnair Plus Gold(OWS), IHG Gold(Plat Ambassador soon maybe), Accor Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
After arriving in Bangkok our group of 4 had a lady waiting for us with name tag after exiting the plane (ay silver member check-in). Unfortunately 3 of 4 of us had very acute need for the toilet so we headed for the toilets fast. What was this about if anyone know?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Ramitran
After arriving in Bangkok our group of 4 had a lady waiting for us with name tag after exiting the plane (ay silver member check-in). Unfortunately 3 of 4 of us had very acute need for the toilet so we headed for the toilets fast. What was this about if anyone know?
In BKK AY issue fast track immigration passes for business class passangers and AY (not sure of OW) elites when exiting the plane. Usually the priority immigration is very fast with no queues, very good service from AY, saves alot of time. The same on departures, you get the pass at check-in.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: Finnair Plus Gold(OWS), IHG Gold(Plat Ambassador soon maybe), Accor Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
In BKK AY issue fast track immigration...
Ah, very nice service. Could've been very useful on that trip as we had to wait about 30-40min at the immigration line that trip. Other trips have been more lucky as there has been the "other place" open as well (officer guiding to walk past the first immigration line to the second one). Though have to walk back to gather luggage but will rather walk than stand in stressful line half hour with russians bumbing your back.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Haha. You might have benefited 25-35 by going there, asking what it was about, grabbed the voucher they give you and then head to the loo.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OW Emerald
AY677 HEL - GOT new soft perk trial

^Nice approach and discussion with the purser this week...

The lady brought me the newspaper right after boarding and said:"Since you are a valued AY plat member, I am glad to present you this left over copy of HS from business class, I will come later and have a chat with you if you don't mind?". I was fine with that of course.

After takeoff she came back and told that they have been discussing in Finnair how to recognize better the AY Plats on board and asked my opinion whether I'd prefer a newspaper OR a free drink as a perk when traveling in Y. She explained that very often they are running out of newspapers already in J and that is the reason they don't offer them every time to AY+ elite members. Offering a free drink would be something they could cater most of the times, provided that Y class is not full with AY+ Plats, of course.

I appreciated the gesture and approach, replied I would actually enjoy a red wine more than a newspaper, mainly because I have the newspapers always on my iPad when I am traveling. She thanked for my "valuable opinion", asked my permission to report this with my name to the AY+, which I naturally granted. Then she served me my 8€ worth "value for money" Pinot Noir in Ultima Thule glass. She was also asking if I had booked AY359 flight already and actually she will be o/b as a purse on my maiden flight on the new bird on October 14th with AY703 to DUS (seat 1L), so I am sure our nice chit chat will continue.

IMHO Nice approach, very nice chat and made me feel a bit "special". There was another AY+ Plat onboard few rows behind me and based on what I saw, he received same treatment.

I'd actually appreciate a drink and/or sandwich as a soft perk much more than random newspaper. Hope this will change now.

BTW: Air Berlin is offering free drink(s) for OW Emeralds, I witnessed this few weeks back on HEL - TXL flight.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Very interesting!
And I agree a drink or snack would be a better soft perk. Especially since drinks does not have a designated language they must be enjoyed in!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Well, I'd surely prefer a drink over a Flemish language newspaper when flying BRU-HEL :-o But then again, I am only Gold at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.