Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
And thinking back for the time when I was Silver, I cannot recall a single occasion, thus I'd say it does not apply to them.
I can confirm this. Never got a newspaper as Silver. Yet to fly as Gold so can't comment on that.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:46 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
In case of an AY+ Gold, it is more of a miss than a hit... Last time I've been offered a paper was during summer '15.
It's not 100% sure, but I get offered newspapers much more often than not.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
I started receiving the newspaper as a Silver member, during Gold time it got more consistent and covered almost 100% of my flights - as a Platinum it is almost guaranteed, I think I have missed only 1-2 flights.

One of the recent flights was full of status members and they just got confused. They missed me and when they started selling the newspapers, I showed my Platinum card, they apologized their mistake and handed over my free newspaper.

One of the flights which was again full of status members, I observed that most likely all Platinum members received two newspapers (Ilta-Sanomat and Kauppalehti) and rest of the status members received one.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I think the newspapers are truly a hit and miss, not a policy.

I recently overheard a Gold member two rows behind me asking for newspaper and the FA apologized sorry we have only for Emeralds. I (AY Plat) had my paper wihtout asking.

It seems also that if the flight has numerous elites, they don't waste time about newspapers and hand out nobody, but when there is only a couple elites, then they take care of it.

However, the new free drink thing is interesting, I will try it next week. If not offered, I will ask if there is a policy or not.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
However, the new free drink thing is interesting, I will try it next week. If not offered, I will ask if there is a policy or not.
Is it only offered to Platinums or are OWEs also included?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I've never been proactively offered a newspaper as OWS or OWE (non-AY).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
I've never been proactively offered a newspaper as OWS or OWE (non-AY).
I've been offered them maybe 3/4 times out of maybe 10+ flights, both as OWS and OWE non-AY
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
I flew JFK-LAX in Y (AA), food for sale only, soft drinks complimentary.

I ordered a rum & Coke, but no charge, the flight attendant thanked me for my business and refilled me as well. Would've refilled me a second time as well, but I figured I'd better be sharp after landing
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by miikka
I started receiving the newspaper as a Silver member, during Gold time it got more consistent and covered almost 100% of my flights...
Same here! I used to get the newspaper already as a lowly Silver. But since those times I have virtually never taken a flight in Y...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Director
I flew JFK-LAX in Y (AA), food for sale only, soft drinks complimentary.

I ordered a rum & Coke, but no charge, the flight attendant thanked me for my business and refilled me as well. Would've refilled me a second time as well, but I figured I'd better be sharp after landing
Yes, that's standard at AA for OneWorld Emeralds - AA marks all Emeralds in the flight manifest as Ex Plats and they get complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the main cabin.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:03 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Recently on HEL-LPA received one drink on the house (gin and tonic) for myself and spouse. After asking, also Iltasanomat. On LPA-HEL return, received two drinks (cognac and red wine) for myself and one drink (red wine) for the spouse. There were no newspapers on that flight, but the friendly attendant checked the closets and delivered one slightly worn out but up to date Iltasanomat, without asking.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
Sort of "semi" "soft perk"...but here's the deal.

I think it is mandatory to show a boarding pass when entering the AA lounges at JFK.

I was in a hurry, I had about 35-40 minutes transit time coming from LAX to JFK and going for the AY006 HEL flight.

I had some mandatory shopping that I had to do, since I didn't make it to shops in LA before, VS + some swedish snus from the Tax free. So I walked fast from the Gate 40 to the VS shop next to gate 4 and then back to the Tax Free and got some snus. Then I figured I had only like 15 minutes left, so I headed up to the lounge.

I said to the lady at the desk that I have only a few minutes to spare, I'll grab a coffee, something to eat and go for a restroom break. I only had to to flash my AY+ Plat card to get in to the Flagship lounge and the lady at the desk didn't ask for my boarding pass or anything.

Very nice and fast. Usually when I've had more time, and I've been to the AA lounge it's taken a "long" time to get in and they sort of "inspect" the boarding passes and so on.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:22 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by The_Director
Very nice and fast. Usually when I've had more time, and I've been to the AA lounge it's taken a "long" time to get in and they sort of "inspect" the boarding passes and so on.
That's nice. JFK lounges always take FOREVER to get in, scanning the BP is rarely enough, lots of furious punching of keyboard etc.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Does one receive new upgrade vouchers while climbing up the tier levels while already a plat? So if I reach plat again, would've I gained the original 2LH+4SH and the 2LH+8SH after reaching gold -> plat again?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Each new tier comes with new vouchers, but only if you climb the tiers. Not when renewing plat.

Renewing plat does not mean you go via gold. Only if you fail to renew plat, you will be downgraded to Gold at year end, and then get 4SH vouchers for next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.