Finnair E-Mail Upgrade Offers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Finnair E-Mail Upgrade Offers

Hello everyone

After a year of flying mainly with Qatar Airways, I have a flight coming up with Finnair in economy and I have a question regarding upgrades.

Last time i flew with finnair, i got an email offer to upgrade about 2 weeks prior to departure. Does anyone know based on what these offers are sent out (obviously quite full economy and empty business, but why did I get chosen)? At the time i just subscribed and used a Finnair Plus number without any miles/status, however the route was HEL-CKG, so I'd assume I was one of the few with any FF membership at all.

Now I have another finnair flight coming up, this time on a more elite heavy route (presumably... route being HEL-HKG). What is my best chance of getting one of those emails again? I can either use my old finnair plus account without any miles (well, about 2000 or so from that one flight) and no status; or I could use my Qatar PC gold status ( = oneworld Sapphire). Who would get priority here?

Does anyone have any experiences or tips? I'd appreciate it.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Judging by the low number of replies, I'd say these email upgrade offers are not a regular thing. IME, it is something AY does once in a while, and nothing you really can predict.

But for arguments sake, let's say they do send them. I'd say they will prefer you to use points for such an upgrade, so it will be targeted to pax with an AY+ profile. Your QR PC would not fit that profile, as there is no alliance wide "upgrade for points".

AY is known to only upgrade when there is a oversold situation. On CKG they seem to oversell regularly based solely on the fact that they sell few J tickets, and has space to upgraded anyone to solve the oversold situation. On HKG, J has most of the time a 100% load factor and there is no space for upgrades. This means they will be more careful and not oversell Y, and if they do, they will need to bump passengers.

I'd say your chance of upgrade, paid or complementary, is close to 0% on HKG route regardless of your status and or program affiliation.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:32 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Thank you very much for your insight!
I thought it would be a long shot on this route, but one can dream :=)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Just received an upgrade offer via email for HEL-ZRH, for EUR69 per pax. Flight was showing J3 Y0.

Too bad the T&C say "will receive original AY Plus economy points", unlike BA's similar last minute paid upgrades that give C tier points and miles.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Agreed, accrual should really change for cash upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.