Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Tier points mission (im)possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Tier points mission (im)possible?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I really don't understand how AY treats their loyal elites and how long this can go on.

No call, no personal message, no letter...only pure nothing. Only faceless status update when someone reaches 3 million Plus points.

If I was head of AY Plus -system, I would call all new LT status holders and old ones occasional too.
But FinOWE still flies AY, so all the money put in what you suggested would have been money out the window, right?

I think this is in many cases the way AY tends to think – "Why should we serve an amuse bouche on MIA flights? No one will stop flying AY because of the amuse bouche. So let's just drop it."

To some extent, AY of course has a point. But at some stage they might – and I hope they will – find themselves in a situation where people choose them only for the price. At that stage, it will be both hard to run a profitable business and hard to get the old, well-paying pax back.

The shame I sometimes feel when flying AY... They've noticed that some competitors serve a "cocktail of the month" style drink. So they start throwing in some cheap liqueur in the cheapest champagne that the market offers and start calling it their signature cocktail. They realised that the recycled brown envelope makes people angry so they were forced to start doing what everyone else does – offering amenity kits in longhaul J. So they buy hoards of the cheapest brand name cosmetics they can find – Clarins products saying Sample–not for sale on them. The list goes on and on...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I really don't understand how AY treats their loyal elites and how long this can go on.

No call, no personal message, no letter...only pure nothing. Only faceless status update when someone reaches 3 million Plus points.

If I was head of AY Plus -system, I would call all new LT status holders and old ones occasional too.
Yes, it really is nothing but a marketing ploy. I can't understand what they were thinking introducing it. I assume someone came up with the idea without any real plan or purpose, management decided 'yes' and then everyone just went back to sort some papers or whatever they do all day.

Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
But FinOWE still flies AY, so all the money put in what you suggested would have been money out the window, right?

I think this is in many cases the way AY tends to think – "Why should we serve an amuse bouche on MIA flights? No one will stop flying AY because of the amuse bouche. So let's just drop it."

To some extent, AY of course has a point.

The shame I sometimes feel when flying AY
You've hit the nail.

However, badly designed and/or badly executed loyalty activities does not just create a little less loyalty than good ones. They foster resentment. If a company is not serious about loyalty activities then they are better off doing nothing.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Hey!
In 5 minutes I've designed vastly more items for the loyal AY flyer than Finnair has done in 2 years!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The second shirt is... priceless!!! If I ever get 5.000.000 points (which I won't ) I'll buy one from you and wear it on all my flights!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
You never know. Maybe they will devaluate so much that one point will equal to 1 hm instead of 1 km ;-)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
The second shirt is... priceless!!! If I ever get 5.000.000 points (which I won't ) I'll buy one from you and wear it on all my flights!
Order one for me while waiting for those miles to come

Careful, intuition. Soon you will have sold so many articles that AY has a new board of rant-collectors, but hey, that is also publicity and in the end works in AY's favor, they get to be better known as the low-cost legacy carrier!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Yes yes, I can imagine that current AY Loyalty team management and it's management thinking like that. Listening to loyal customers and dialogue with their own frequent flyers is only waste of money and they don't have to do it.

After some flights flown there is automatic and outsourced e-mail survey sent with CEO sign and with stupid questions: how was your flight, give numbers 1-10 and would You recommend AY to someone 1-10 and blaaa blaaa blaa.. that really is full of c-r-a-p and waste of money plus made so cheap-looking bulk!

Why don't they just sometimes call and ask elites how was that Your flight(s), what was wrong and what was done well. Maybe live feedback is something they cant handle and they dont want to hear it. Scared of it.
It's more comfortable to read numbers and pay consult to make graphics and figures just like they want.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Talking to people is not the Finnish way. Feedback form routed to /dev/null solves the problem nicely.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:10 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Maybe we have to suggest a meeting with their loyalty management.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Maybe we have to suggest a meeting with their loyalty management.
And CEO! Not a bad idea, after all, we should be among their most important customers!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
And CEO! Not a bad idea, after all, we should be among their most important customers!
I can try to organise this if you guys have interest. I know AY's comms manager well, so I could contact her first.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Actually, it is a kind of fun idea, if you turn it all upside down. The frequent flyers invites AY management to a loyalty activity to show them how it is done!

Anyway, I'm a bit sceptical if you'd ever could get their attention. Even if you could get in touch with the right people and explain the idea, I'm not sure you could get the benefit for AY across. Any semi-clever manager knows to stay away from customers if he/she doesn't have a true will to offer something or meet halfway. Going to a meeting, smile and then go back the office without implementing anything is worse than to just say no to the meeting.
The prospects of a meeting becoming a rant fiesta is also discouraging.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
I can try to organise this if you guys have interest. I know AY's comms manager well, so I could contact her first.
Judging by the commitment in this thread and others, I'm pretty sure there are a number of people interested. If there is any prospect of AY joining with a genuine interest, I would surely fly in for a such a meeting.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:24 am

Email sent to my AY contact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.