Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New HEL lounge - when will it open (and how can we get invited)

Old May 24, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPBanker
Possible pre-look at the new AY Premium lounge for FT regulars

UPDATE 29/7 (by SPBanker): Finnair has informed us that the date/time for the pre-visit is July 31st at 6:00 pm. This has been confirmed.

Currently we have following FT members on the list. If you are not on the list, but you think you should be (1-2 can still be accommodated), please PM SPBanker ASAP, by the latest July 30th, 11:00 am (Eastern European time). We have tried to contact everyone who expressed interest, but the holidays may have caused some interruptions in communication....

• SPBanker
  • remymartin
  • WilcoRoger
  • Helsinki Flyer
  • Lappe
  • kauppias
  • OH-LGG
  • cistavoda
  • Courmisch
  • giucca
  • Post Scriptum
  • haa
  • AY0005

Another note from Finnair related to the current lounge renovation/lack of Schengen lounge for certain normally eligible pax:

Anyone accessing the non-Schengen departure area without non-Schengen boarding pass (=with Schengen departure) is subject to border control violation.

Print Wikipost

New HEL lounge - when will it open (and how can we get invited)

Old May 10, 2014, 5:16 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
BTW, I guess they are doing this to relieve the "via" lounge. I really hope they have the statistics done right - so the number of Gold + plat + emerald + sapphire are less than the statusless J flyers. Because the premium lounge will be quite small and will not be very premium if flooded.
Hehe, maybe the statusless J flyer will be the winners this time
They surely have the statistics...statusless J (especially as Finnair attracts many first timers due to their cheap J product/prices) + Silvers..that is most likely lot to begin with but should issues arise it's quite easy to change the rules to "Access for Emeralds only".
Old May 10, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JnsV
Will I be able to use this lounge if arriving from non-Shengen and transiting to a Shengen flight? I am flying BUD-HEL-SIN and v.v. in the summer and my layover is much longer on the inbound leg.
Are the Schengen and non-Schengen at HEL physically separated? I've never visited HEL before but I'm interested when I do later this year.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:48 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Are the Schengen and non-Schengen at HEL physically separated? I've never visited HEL before but I'm interested when I do later this year.
No, they are in the same building complex, passport control between them, obviously.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Good news about the Lounge

As I will be doing ORD-JFK-HEL-HNG-NRT-HNG-LAX-DFW, etc. in couple months, BC. Also looking forward to menu of reindeer filet on AY.
Old May 10, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Prkl, I'll be travelling on 21st of June to LHR and don't see any other non-schengen trips coming in near future. So before this new thing opens up, is the old VIA lounge still open? Haven't been in NS-side since May last year so have no idea on the recent developments.

Anywho, I expect the lounge, or whatever they have, to be packed at 7 am on 21st
Old May 10, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Once SPBanker reports back, we'll arrange an LHR DO to which you're most welcome to join. Unless, of course, you're a complete looney (in a non-FT bad way)!
Old May 10, 2014, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
... So before this new thing opens up, is the old VIA lounge still open? ...
Yes, the old lounge is unaffected by the new. It is built as an addon where the spa section used to be.

Last edited by intuition; May 10, 2014 at 2:36 pm
Old May 11, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by aster
Not sure I like this approach compared to the SQ one. So basically someone who flies a lot of econ and achieved status this way can get into the best lounge, but someone who wants to pay for business class on AY (even the most expensive fare out there) has no chance of getting into the better lounge simply because they aren't "regulars?"
That doesn't tie in with oneworld rules. Per http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access:
"Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status"

So a J passenger can visit ANY OW owned/operated J lounge subject to certain exceptions listed on that page - and there is (currently) no carve-out for the new lounge. Staff may try to direct them to one particular lounge, but they are entitled to visit whichever one they wish (unless and until the oneworld rules change)
Old May 11, 2014, 3:55 am

What you're missing though, Ian, is that both OWS and OWE will be entitled to the new lounge, but non-status J pax won't. Therefore, it isn't the regular J vs. F lounge discussion.

Last edited by remymartin; May 11, 2014 at 6:22 am
Old May 11, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
What you're missing though, Ian, is that both [B]OWS [/B ]and OWE will be entitled to the new lounge, but non-status J pax won't. Therefore, it isn't the regular J vs. F lounge discussion.
Is the premium lounge really going to be open to Saphires too?

I thought it was AY plat/gold and OWE only?
Old May 11, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by kauppias

I thought it was AY plat/gold and OWE only?
This would actually make sense and comply with OW lounge access rules nicely.

Nothing stops AY treating their own Golds better than other Sapphires, as long as the OW rules are followed = Other Sapphires and paid J have access to the same lounge.
Old May 11, 2014, 4:49 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
While you never know with wordings in marketing materials, current word doesn't leave much room for interpretation. Sapphire is indeed included:
The Premium Lounge is open to Finnair Plus Gold and Platinum members and their guests only, as well as to frequent flyer cardholders with equivalent status at a fellow oneworld airline, including Finnair’s joint business partners American Airlines, British Airways, Iberia and Japan Airlines.
Old May 11, 2014, 4:55 am

OK, so the keywords here are "joint venture partners". Fair enough
Old May 11, 2014, 5:04 am

Yep, and there's really no reason to read the OW lounge access rules too strictly, the airlines always have the right/excuse to denied access based on capacity restrictions etc. etc.

Just the other day I was denied access to BA lounge @PHX when flying with AA (As BA!? Emerald..) - they simply told that the lounge was only for pax bound to LHR on BA...it's still listed on OW.com as normal OW lounge...anyway..it's a crappy lounge so no big harm done..

So whatever AY do here they will certainly get away with it. Paid J w/o status can be kept out, simple as that...and AY Silvers has got no OW rights anyway so they are easy...AY Silver lounge access should be killed totally, if you ask me...just too many pax in the HEL lounges and getting rid of Silvers would be a good move...they already killed the guesting rights so I'd imagine this is in the plan, just waiting to be implemented..within 1-2 years is my bet..

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; May 11, 2014 at 5:11 am
Old May 11, 2014, 5:08 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Nja, I read that as "all of oneworld", but some marketing people agreed to talk about the JV anywhere they can, so they had to add the names of the JVs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.