Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New HEL lounge - when will it open (and how can we get invited)

Old May 24, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPBanker
Possible pre-look at the new AY Premium lounge for FT regulars

UPDATE 29/7 (by SPBanker): Finnair has informed us that the date/time for the pre-visit is July 31st at 6:00 pm. This has been confirmed.

Currently we have following FT members on the list. If you are not on the list, but you think you should be (1-2 can still be accommodated), please PM SPBanker ASAP, by the latest July 30th, 11:00 am (Eastern European time). We have tried to contact everyone who expressed interest, but the holidays may have caused some interruptions in communication....

• SPBanker
  • remymartin
  • WilcoRoger
  • Helsinki Flyer
  • Lappe
  • kauppias
  • OH-LGG
  • cistavoda
  • Courmisch
  • giucca
  • Post Scriptum
  • haa
  • AY0005

Another note from Finnair related to the current lounge renovation/lack of Schengen lounge for certain normally eligible pax:

Anyone accessing the non-Schengen departure area without non-Schengen boarding pass (=with Schengen departure) is subject to border control violation.

Print Wikipost

New HEL lounge - when will it open (and how can we get invited)

Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I doubt that OW rules allow granting access to your own Saphire loyalists, and not other airlines'.
Well, this one is not a business class lounge.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:19 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by YClass
Finnair clearly underestimated the number of pax using the "Premium" lounge. When I got there around 3pm I was told it may be too busy and I might want to use the old lounge. It was totally jammed.
Thanks for a IRL report!
And that was my fear all along - AY turning something premium into something not very premium. Building a brand new premium lounge and then immediately overcrowd it by setting the bar too low.

Originally Posted by Justinus
Personally I do not understand why on earth they welcome OW Sapphires. They are obviously too many for this lounge. ...
Me neither.
I suspect AY made a deal with JL and BA to include OW saphires. These two airlines obviously have had an impact on the lounge coming into existence, so for the sake of JVs AY needed to accept the JV airlines "high" tier members. And then it was too complicated to name just a few, so they added all OW sapphires.

So what they actually did with this new lounge was making things better for silvers. As silvers now will have the old lounge to them selves, that lounge now is less crowded. Way to go, AY.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
When I was there last week, when entering the lounge I was asked whether I preferred using the premium lounge or the old lounge. I was on a CE ticket from LHR connecting domestically.

Not sure what their policy is on access to the old lounge for OWS/OWE's.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Justinus
Personally I do not understand why on earth they welcome OW Sapphires. They are obviously too many for this lounge. As such, OW Sapphire grants access to business lounges, which this one isn't.

IMHO it would be correct to welcome AY Plats and Golds + OW Emeralds only.
So well said.

The same applies to current Schengen lounge closure, why did they not compensate access for AY Golds?

I find AY Gold more and more a crappy card between Silver and Plat. The Plat benefits are significant, and Silver is decent as per AY lounge and fast track, but Gold is not much anything than OWS benefit
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
I find AY Gold more and more a crappy card between Silver and Plat. The Plat benefits are significant, and Silver is decent as per AY lounge and fast track, but Gold is not much anything than OWS benefit
I always say "plat is a crappy card, since there is no substantial differentiator to gold", so I guess we are all equally disappointed

There are only 2 major benefits with plat card over the gold; 2 LH vouchers and family upgrades. (or did you have something else in mind?)
Both of these perks have been greatly reduced in value lately, as availability for upgrades have gone down.
All other perks are pretty much the same for gold and plats.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I actually asked this during our pre-opening presentation - the AY lady was confident, that there won't be that much non-Schengen AYGold/OWS pax to crowd the lounge. Might have been a miscalculation.

I suspect, that the number of AY Plats are so small that AY felt they can extend the "Premium" to Golds as well - and from there it's a straight route to OWS access.

My only visit so far (right after the opening) at 6-7:30 am was very positive, but I'll have some more flights coming up to give more data points.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:33 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

My only visit so far (right after the opening) at 6-7:30 am was very positive, but I'll have some more flights coming up to give more data points.
Same here, on both accounts. My visit was on Sunday mid-day, though. I wouldn't condemn the concept quite yet...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:34 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I suspect, that the number of AY Plats are so small that AY felt they can extend the "Premium" to Golds as well - and from there it's a straight route to OWS access.

That may very well be the case. AY surely have made calculations and although there are several thousands of plats, they are not on their way to asia every day. The lounge is too large for such a small crowd and AY probably from the start meant for it to be for plat and gold. That was probably the right business decision, but it was yet again a failure to make a distiction between the two top tiers.

IMHO extending it to OWS is rather drastic and I think AY has a lot less knowledge of the number of OWE in the world and their travel patterns. The numbers may overwhelm them. Besides, accepting OWS makes this new lounge as exclusive as any business lounge. Make the comparison to how other OW airlines handles OWE and OWS at their home bases, it makes even less sense.

What AY has accomplished though is separating AY silvers from the rest of tier holders and that might relieve some pressure. And silvers may very well be "winners" in that deal, they get a very exclusive lounge with very little flying.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:11 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
We are on BA795 and I think BA uses the Almost@home lounge at HEL. But can we instead access the "Premium Lounge", when AA PLT (OWS) is travelling with AA GLD (OWR)? Or do we need AY tickets to get to the "Premium lounge"?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:08 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Yes you can use this lounge. OWS can bring one guest and no need to travel AY.

Yet another fine example of how strange this lounge policy is.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Yeah.
Then, can't they follow flights pax data to estimate the peak hours and then restrict OWS entering as per "if space allows"
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:46 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
Yes you can use this lounge. OWS can bring one guest and no need to travel AY.

Yet another fine example of how strange this lounge policy is.
Isn't this completely normal for OW? (Discounting Concorde Room, I guess.)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:25 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Isn't this completely normal for OW? (Discounting Concorde Room, I guess.)
Yes it is - for a business class lounge.
By labelling it a "Premium lounge" some might think it is something extra, something "premium". But clearly it isn't.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:35 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

And comparing to LHR is quite telling - As a OWS you won't gain access to Galleries First. Yet this isn't a first class lounge per se, since the Concorde room has the First class passengers. In my mind, BA Galleries first is the BA equivalent of a "premium" lounge - something extra offered the top tier travellers.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:12 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
The only time slot that really matters/makes any difference is between 3pm-6pm in the afternoons. The new concept is clearly not working during the peak hours of Asian wave. Mornings are always quiet on the non-schengen side.

Sapphire access needs to be axed asap, otherwise there's absolutely nothing premium left. That's my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.