Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
First, thanks for digging out my "We're here to help" picture, I've been looking for it! It always helps me stay on the right path!!

Originally Posted by FFlash
Why I am intrigued to BA now is just opportunism: they have all year around great fare campaigns which can allow one to gain bunch of avios and TP which can easily bump me then to OWE. As comparison, I can at best look for AY J to BKK/etc with a nuisance positioning flight to ARN etc.
I'm following this thread because I'm re-evaluating programs too. And it really comes down to what you wrote here - it is not just about the program anymore. It is more and more about what the airline does and don't do fare- and promotion-wise.
I can easily renew AY plat, but the plat has become less and less useful. Yeah, upgrade perks are good, but they have become much more difficult to use (for my flying preferences, that is). And almost never any promotions or good fares on attractive dates or origins.
And as AY plat, it would be a point-disaster to fly anything but AY. My usual points gets cut into half, which makes me very reluctant to use JL or BA. But with another program I'd be much more inclinde to use best offer.

So no other advise right now, but I think you are on to something when you account for fares and promotions when considering programs.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by nordic
Only those Flybe flights qualify which carry AY code and not BE code. So neither flights to MHQ, JYV,KEM, KAJ and KOK nor flights to NRK and TAY qualify. At present it it is unsure which company will operate these current BE flighrs in the future and what will be the deal with AY after the break-up with BE.
Of course BE will not do, but those KEM,KOK etc seem to be AY8xxx, why would they not qualify then? I tried to search but did not find the reason. If it matters, I run mostly AY2xxx destinations on Flybe metal.

Flybe breakup brings certainly a worrypoint here, but is offtopic... don't play don't win

You guys are really good in marketing AA, is it too good to be true? (read: devaluations to come, but don't play don't win)
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:17 pm

BTW, for the transition period during ramping up AA/BA from zero, can I use my AY plat to reserve better seats on AA/BA?

I have understood that I can change my FFP on already done AY flights, but what about an upgraded flight? I will have confirmed voucher-upgraded JFK flight upcoming (originally N-class). Am I going to ruin that somehow if I go and change my AY FFP to BA/AA?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:08 pm

Of course BE will not do, but those KEM,KOK etc seem to be AY8xxx, why would they not qualify then? I tried to search but did not find the reason. If it matters, I run mostly AY2xxx destinations on Flybe metal.
The AY8xxx flight don't qualify as they are also sold as BE flights meaning they are code-share flights and not wet-leased flights as the AY2xxx flights only sold as AY flights.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You guys are really good in marketing AA, is it too good to be true? (read: devaluations to come, but don't play don't win)
For AY flyers (especially in Y) AA is really excellent, with 100% earning for all booking classes (+elite bonus) Redemptions are just another world from AY - e.g. Europe->N.America in Y for 20k only. The catch is the 4 flights on AA code needed for status.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by nordic
The AY8xxx flight don't qualify as they are also sold as BE flights meaning they are code-share flights and not wet-leased flights as the AY2xxx flights only sold as AY flights.
Thanks for pointing out this. Luckily I don't take AY8xxx ever, only Joensuu, Oulu etc.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For AY flyers (especially in Y) AA is really excellent, with 100% earning for all booking classes (+elite bonus) Redemptions are just another world from AY - e.g. Europe->N.America in Y for 20k only. The catch is the 4 flights on AA code needed for status.
I understand, with my pattern, earning status would be somewhat similarly easy on AA&BA, but yes it seems that with current AA chart I would earn quite nicely miles, whereas for BA very low Avios (25%).
AA 4 flights req is doable at least the first period, where I am eyeing a HEL-JFK-GRU in another thread (gives 4 AA legs, nice miles and almost Plat challenge).
The thing which I don't like in AA is their earning year by calender. I would prefer running calender like BA&AY. I have not yet signed up for neither BA/AA so I could play around the start date a bit.
Now it is just to weigh in all factors, but I already see that the scale is inclined away from AY
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:11 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
After some 12 years as BA gold, this will be my final year with emphasis on that program. After they restricted 100% TP accrual in economy from AY flights to YBK only, it is hard to hit the annual 1500 TP:s, as my shorthaul flights tend to be onboard AY (or in increasing amounts onboard LH) in lesser booking classes by default. Some 18 000 lifetime TP:s so far, I do not think I would make it up to 35 000 needed for LTG. Soft landing to silver in 03/2016 by which time AY plat should suffice. Avios redemption/upgrade availability on BA sucks and I will gladly receive the AY plus upgrade vouchers for EU work trips.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
If you can somehow squeeze in 4 AA coded flights, than AA is your friend - 80 AY legs are ca. 80k miles (100%), but with status it is double, so OWE is easy-peasy.
Luckily, it's not that easy

First off, minimum miles only apply to elites, so before you reach elite status - you only get BIS mileage.

Secondly, once elite status has been attained, 80k miles will give 40k EQM and 80k RDM. So you'll still be far away from OWE (100kEQM/EQP or 120 segments).
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by remymartin

First off, minimum miles only apply to elites, so before you reach elite status - you only get BIS mileage.

Secondly, once elite status has been attained, 80k miles will give 40k EQM and 80k RDM. So you'll still be far away from OWE (100kEQM/EQP or 120 segments).
So it was too easy to be true. I was not sharp enough on this but now I think I got it. Example:

HEL-JOE is 224 miles. If I credit that to AA, say N-class (0,5EQP), what do I get?
For status: 224 EQM and 112 EQP or 500EQM/225EQP?
For miles: minimum 500 + Plat bonus 100%=500, total 1000?
For the period before reaching Plat: 224EQM & 224 miles?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remymartin

Sorry, forgot about the short hops. My typical EUR legs are 800-1100 miles, so I based my numbers on these. ARN, TLL + domestics and the like are different.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
So it was too easy to be true. I was not sharp enough on this but now I think I got it. Example:

HEL-JOE is 224 miles. If I credit that to AA, say N-class (0,5EQP), what do I get?
For status: You will get 224 EQM and 112 EQP regardless of status.
For miles:1000 award miles when Plat/EXP(224 EQM&776 bonus)
For the period before reaching Plat: 224 EQM as Basic member, 224 EQM & 280 miles(as Gold 25% bonus)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:14 am

If you're doing a challenge, then you'll need 10k EQP. Before you hit that 10k, it'll be:
- 224 EQM and 112 EQP

After you hit 10k EQP:
- 500 EQM, 112 EQP and 1000 RDM (=redeemable miles)

I'm not familiar with the potential changes to AA challenges vis-à-vis the new minimum 4 leg policy. It might be worth to verify whether you can complete either (Gold or Plt) challenge before doing the four segments.

I'd strongly recommend attaining the necessary EQP to complete the challenge before moving over deep discount shorthaul flights to AA, or rethinking your strategy once more. In the example I illustrated before, doing 80 segments on 500mi each won't get you even to OWS, let alone OWE.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTL
After some 12 years as BA gold, this will be my final year with emphasis on that program. After they restricted 100% TP accrual in economy from AY flights to YBK only, it is hard to hit the annual 1500 TP:s, as my shorthaul flights tend to be onboard AY (or in increasing amounts onboard LH) in lesser booking classes by default. Some 18 000 lifetime TP:s so far, I do not think I would make it up to 35 000 needed for LTG. Soft landing to silver in 03/2016 by which time AY plat should suffice. Avios redemption/upgrade availability on BA sucks and I will gladly receive the AY plus upgrade vouchers for EU work trips.
A dissenting voice in favor of AY+

Now that you mention soft landing - with AA there is no such thing, it can be a hard crash from hero to zero (OWE -> nought)

OTOH I am dissenting re avios availability, which I've found good, but I'm the minority with this view on the BA board
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:50 am

OTOH I am dissenting re avios availability, which I've found good, but I'm the minority with this view on the BA board
This is likely due to Avios availability being better for Gold card holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.