Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
HEL-DOH-SYD r/t in C would be 4x160TP=640TP with BAEC, so already BAEC Silver (OWS) but they also require 2 flights on BA - easy to do a HEL-LHR-HEL on the cheap. Probably better then blowing the 120k AY points on the exchange.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:48 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
HEL-DOH-SYD r/t in C would be 4x160TP=640TP with BAEC, so already BAEC Silver (OWS) but they also require 2 flights on BA - easy to do a HEL-LHR-HEL on the cheap. Probably better then blowing the 120k AY points on the exchange.
That's true, I have to compare the programs a little more before making final decision.

I use AY+ Diners every day, and in the future status benefits will be more important to me than redemptions.

Is HEL-DOH in QR biz 140 or 160TP? BA calculator does not give an answer, but ARN-DOH is 140TP.

So now one can get OWS by flying one QR r/t in J and one day trip to LON for less than 2k. Or even a lot less with long-haul sale destinations in Asia combined with a little more short-haul.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by HJP
So now one can get OWS by flying one QR r/t in J and one day trip to LON for less than 2k€. Or even a lot less with long-haul sale destinations in Asia combined with a little more short-haul.
If you're really looking for the cheapest way, you can even get AY Gold for ~1600 EUR.

But yeah, now even doing it the comfortable way is affordable.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by lkrt
If you're really looking for the cheapest way, you can even get AY Gold for ~1600 EUR.
Outs, too expensive.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HJP
Is HEL-DOH in QR biz 140 or 160TP? BA calculator does not give an answer, but ARN-DOH is 140TP.
I'm unsure about it, but even with 2x140 + 2x160 you'd hit 600TP, which is the OWS threshold (+ the meagre earning you'd get by fulfilling BA's own metal requirement)
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well if we are talking about QR flights going to BAEC, I could get 1200TP and 56k avios if doing that.

My plan is to put these flights into AY+ where they will earn me 90271 TP and AP. I have no idea about BAEC - would it make any sense to let QR points go to BAEC for me?

--ADDED
Rest of year flights will make the total come to 1610TP and 73k avios, compared to 164k AY TP/AP. Besides the stupidity to credit AY R-VALUE to BAEC, this seems pretty equal to me. As I am unlikely to fly BA, a BA gold holds no special attraction with me.

--ADDED once more
And I would make 60789 miles, 87993 EQM and 12158 EQD on Aaaaadvantage.
76800 Qmiles and 414 Qpoints on QR PC.

None of these are emerald if I understand it all correctly. The Qmiles is worth one or possibly 2 longhaul upgrades, and I have no idea what 60k miles on AA or 73k avios is worth. If someone knows how to value these, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by intuition; Sep 4, 2016 at 2:07 pm Reason: Added more data for comparison
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to value BAEC:AY+ at slightly below 3:1 as much of my redemptions are ex-HEL and much higher for OW redempitions, so in your case I'd say BAEC.

But for their Gold you'll need 4 BA flights (code+metal, AFAIK). If you don't have those, you'll stay blue, no matter what. It's easy to do it (CPH-LHR-anywhere UK return) but an extra chore if you don't have BA flights normally.

OTOH, AY+ is something you know inside out

BA upgrades: "Upgrade on British Airways, Iberia and American Airlines flights.

The formula is:

Avios for the cabin you wish to upgrade to - Avios for the cabin you make your booking in = Avios required to upgrade one way

Here's an example for a peak one-way upgrade from London to New York, upgrading from premium economy (World Traveller Plus) to business (Club World):

Club World: 60,000 Avios - World Traveller Plus: 40,000 Avios = 20,000 Avios to upgrade

To work it out, you can use our reward flight calculator or we'll work it out for you when you're ready to book your upgrade."

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...g-avios--index

WTP is their eco+ Golds have extra reward availability.

Can't comment on the others.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
But for their Gold you'll need 4 BA flights (code+metal, AFAIK). If you don't have those, you'll stay blue, no matter what. It's easy to do it (CPH-LHR-anywhere UK return) but an extra chore if you don't have BA flights normally.
Even a bit easier:

BA flights are:

- flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
- codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
- flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, that's somewhat easier.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:00 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
--ADDED once more
And I would make 60789 miles, 87993 EQM and 12158 EQD on Aaaaadvantage.
AA Executive platinum (=OWE) requires 100 000 EQM and 12000 EQD, so you would be pretty close. Of course there is also 4 AA-coded segment requirement, but it can be also codeshare operated for examply by AY.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit to AY+ or AA with Plat challenge?

I have a couple of flights coming in in the next 3 months.

On AY+ they would earn 223k points (with the gifts points at 200k & 300k TP) which is nice.

OTOH I could request a Plat challenge from AA, pay $200 and earn ca 60k miles including tier bonus after the first Asian trip.

Status itself is not an issue, as I'm good with AY Plat until 2018.

Which are worth more?

NB1 - there were talks about a new AY super-duper Plat level. Crediting the flights to AY+ might come handy if/when they announce it, if ever.

NB2 - I just booked my first AA reward BKK-DSP on MH C, and it was only 22,5k miles + $21 per pax. I didn't check AY if they charge YQ, but BA would've charged me 15k Avios + 3-digit per pax. So AA really shined here.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Has anyone ever contemplated S7 priority or Flysmiles (SriLankan)?

S7 platinum is approx 120k km, earning the regular 125% in J on oneWorld partners, valid for up to 23 months (if you time it right) and no S7 segment requirement.

Flysmiles platinum is approx 96 500 km, 88 500km for renewal, earning the regular 125% in J on oneWorld partner but requiring half of the miles to be earned on UL. Has an odd network with a few European destinations (2.nd tier connections to HEL with AY-codeshares!) some interesting Asian destinations via destination-hopping like AY did in the past. Also has codeshares to major Australian destinations.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
UL are cutting 2/3 of their European destinations.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...opean-services
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by HJP
AA Executive platinum (=OWE) requires 100 000 EQM and 12000 EQD, so you would be pretty close. Of course there is also 4 AA-coded segment requirement, but it can be also codeshare operated for examply by AY.
As of Jan 2017 no more 4 segments required on AA!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Has anyone ever contemplated S7 priority or Flysmiles (SriLankan)?
How're burning rates? Weird restrictions? YQ? These are also factors to consider.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.