Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair seat selection as One World Emerald

Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, a quick search did not yield anything. I have JFK-HEL on Finnair, and after getting the Finnair PNR from AA, I tried online seat selection, but pretty much all seats needs payment. Is this the norm?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
I just did 4 segments on Finnair in Europe. I wasn't able to get exit row seats without paying, but was able to pick everything else for free. Had rows 6 and 7 on all flights.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question pertains to flights operated by Finnair, I am going to move it to the Finnair Plus forum, where the experts can hopefully shed some light on the subject. In so doing I have also updated the thread title to reflect the oneworld status equivalent.

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Call Finnair. Then call AA and ask for oneworld support.

If they allow their top tier flyers to reserve exit row seats they must allow Emeralds to do it as well. Looking at Finnair's pages, they seem to indicate this:

http://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/flight...lect-your-seat
http://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/finnai...mbership-tiers

just becuase the webpage doesnt allow it doesnt mean it cant be done. Indeed, if AA told me it was a violation of the oneworld agreement, Id pay for it then charge it back.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I had 4 finnair flights in Oct and as a CX gold was able to select exits and bulkheads for free, even on the trans Atlantic flights. Nice.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If you have a Finnair flight number and your AA EXP card is in the booking, you are able to select seats online free of charge. I had a case where the AY site tried to charge me for a European flight. This glitch was fixed by their web support, so if this is your case, just give them a call. If you are lucky, you get a really good agent. Call +358 9 818 1611.

However, if you have an AA flight number, you might be out of luck. Some travellers have reported that they have succeeded in selecting seats on AY's homepage for AA-flight numbers, but it doesn't seem to work all the time. A phone call might or might not help.

Basic rule number one for me is: never codeshare, no matter what the marketing department tries to make us believe. It's always a hassle of some sort.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:06 pm

Finnair seat selection as AA EXP [oneworld Emerald]

I've done 4 finnair flights in November JFK-HEL and back and have two more in December. All booked as AA codeshares.

I'm AA plat and for each flight I've been able to pick exits and bulkheads through finnair.com without paying anything. For all of my flights I'm either 41C or 41J.

If any one wants seat advice for AY's A333 just holler.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread here in the AA forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-you-bet.html Advanced search does work
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just another data point: today I made a booking on finnair.com and entered my BA (Gold -- OW Emerald) FF number. After confirming I went back to 'My Booking' to select seats. The tool wanted to charge me. I rang up the Finnair Plus Gold helpline and the very friendly, very helpful chap there assigned me the exit row / extra legspace seats I had chosen, at no charge.

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Another data point: I flew HEL-LHR on AY 2 days ago and did mobile check-in about 12 hours prior. I am AA PLT and booked the flight under the AA flight number (frequent flyer number on the reservation). I was able to choose an exit row seat upon check-in, no additional fee required.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffay005
If you have a Finnair flight number and your AA EXP card is in the booking, you are able to select seats online free of charge. I had a case where the AY site tried to charge me for a European flight. This glitch was fixed by their web support, so if this is your case, just give them a call. If you are lucky, you get a really good agent. Call +358 9 818 1611.

However, if you have an AA flight number, you might be out of luck. Some travellers have reported that they have succeeded in selecting seats on AY's homepage for AA-flight numbers, but it doesn't seem to work all the time. A phone call might or might not help.

Basic rule number one for me is: never codeshare, no matter what the marketing department tries to make us believe. It's always a hassle of some sort.
I got an e-mail from Finnair a month out before our trip to allow us to select our seats etc. Had not problems doing so, and the web site even reminded us that as an OW Emerald, I was entitled to an extra checked bag. All of this using my AA FF#, of course.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by henry999
Just another data point: today I made a booking on finnair.com and entered my BA (Gold -- OW Emerald) FF number. After confirming I went back to 'My Booking' to select seats. The tool wanted to charge me. I rang up the Finnair Plus Gold helpline and the very friendly, very helpful chap there assigned me the exit row / extra legspace seats I had chosen, at no charge.

cheers,

Henry
They've got some kind of bug in their system (again). I had the same problem (AA PLT) with HEL-ARN-HEL seats yesterday.

The e-helpdesk guy assigned me the seats and promised to look into the matter. We tried other bookings as well, where I had previously assigned the seats myself free of charge. The my booking -system now wanted to charge for those as well...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I've (BA Gold for OWE) done the seat selection a few times now through Finnairs Facebook page. Always sorted within 10 minutes.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by dera
I've (BA Gold for OWE) done the seat selection a few times now through Finnairs Facebook page. Always sorted within 10 minutes.
Thanks. Still cant selected via AY website, just posted on their FB page. Lets see how that works
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ffay005
Just booked on the Finnair website, and entered my AA frequent flyer number (OWE). All segments are on AY with AY flight numbers. It's still asking me to pay for seat selection

The office is shut right now but I will ring when it opens -- hopefully that will do it!

Last edited by ExpatExp; Dec 24, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.