Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth purchasing Finnair points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond

There is currently a 40% bonus on points purchases that grabbed my attention. Do they do similar deals on a regular basis? Is 40% the highest bonus offered or has there been a better promo in the past?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:05 am

It has been possible to purchase Finnair Plus points only for few months. There has been one promotion prior the current one and it had 30% bonus. I'd say insufficient data to predict the future but generally I think purchasing points is only worth it if you have some immediate use for them in mind and then you can decide yourself whether or not they are worth the price.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
There's already some discussion regarding the promo http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...nts-com-2.html

In general buying points to load up isn't a very good idea unless you're just a few thousand points short or you have a clear, good redemption in mind.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Now that the same promo is on-going, I did some thinking:

Buying 40k AY points for 500€ you will get 16k bonus on top - this can be a good value to burn as a 50k business-upgrade on an economy long-haul ticket.

Okay I know what many of you think now... But I am one of those poor guys who have the idiot corporate policy of economy long-haul tix.

Given the fact that AY biz-upgrades are (almost) 100% when availability, I personally think those upgrades are the best way to burn AY points (cost/value).
Old May 17, 2014, 7:00 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by FFlash
Given the fact that AY biz-upgrades are (almost) 100% when availability, I personally think those upgrades are the best way to burn AY points (cost/value).
They are very good value. Only second to the Plat benefit of upgrading family members for 50.000 on long-haul round-trip.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Now that the same promo is on-going, I did some thinking:

Buying 40k AY points for 500€ you will get 16k bonus on top - this can be a good value to burn as a 50k business-upgrade on an economy long-haul ticket.
56k = 11 s/h upgrades if/when they announce the usual summer promo. 45€/leg - I must say, very good value.

OTOH - if used for 1 s/h Y redemption (44k) + taxes/YQ on top = very poor value.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker
They are very good value. Only second to the Plat benefit of upgrading family members for 50.000 on long-haul round-trip.
I must be slow on this. I remember someone (you?) commented this already sometime ago and I remember I was left puzzled, and now again, so I have to ask:

What is the difference here since you can upgrade by vouchers or 50k points normally anyway your family members?

Thanks for explanation, there has to be something I am missing here
Old May 17, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I must be slow on this. I remember someone (you?) commented this already sometime ago and I remember I was left puzzled, and now again, so I have to ask:

What is the difference here since you can upgrade by vouchers or 50k points normally anyway your family members?

Anyone can upgrade with 50.000 or 60.000 points long-haul one-way, if there is availability. If I have a paid business ticket, I can upgrade 1-3 family members with 50.000 points round-trip. For example, to and from Hong Kong this means either 120.000 or 50.000 points. Big difference, huge Plat benefit IMO.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm

The 'normal' upgrade is 50k points / direction. The plat benefit is 50k for the whole roundtrip (applicable only if you have paid J yourself).
Old May 17, 2014, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Anyone can upgrade with 50.000 or 60.000 points long-haul one-way, if there is availability. If I have a paid business ticket, I can upgrade 1-3 family members with 50.000 points round-trip. For example, to and from Hong Kong this means either 120.000 or 50.000 points. Big difference, huge Plat benefit IMO.
Thanks! I had been to hasty in reading the rules (copied below). This IS a huge benefit I agree. Another thing is whether you have availability for 3 member upgrades on biz-heavy HKG/SIN routes unless you book well in advance. Great perk, well done AY anyhow ^

"When you have bought a Business Class ticket, you can use your points to upgrade up to three family members from Economy Class to Business Class – upgrades costs 50,000 points per person on long-haul return flights and 10,000 points per person on return flights within Europe"
Old May 18, 2014, 2:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Did any of you (SPBanker or other plat) use the plat family upgrade to the max and how was availability for many upgrades at once?
As said above, some routes are not that easy to upgrade at all. I have only used it for a single person, so I couldn't really tell if there is a difference (ie if they are more likely to "fix" extra inventory for a family upgrade to go through). Or would they just leave one family member in Y when F-class is full?
Old May 18, 2014, 6:15 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Did any of you (SPBanker or other plat) use the plat family upgrade to the max and how was availability for many upgrades at once?
As said above, some routes are not that easy to upgrade at all. I have only used it for a single person, so I couldn't really tell if there is a difference (ie if they are more likely to "fix" extra inventory for a family upgrade to go through). Or would they just leave one family member in Y when F-class is full?
I have used it during my Plat years, never any issues with avail. I only used this on BKK/HKG/SIN, though. Wife+1 kid = 2 upgrades. Might be different with 3-4 kids..
Old May 18, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I have used it twice (for three family members). Once to NRT and once HKG (still upcoming). In both cases there wasn't availability when I made the upgrade request, but in both cases they cleared within a few days.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Upgrading is certainly a MUCH better way to burn miles, especially since there is an upgrade checker online so when booking a Y ticket you can check beforehand how many upgrades are available on a given flight. That and being able to upgrade from all Y tickets, not just the most expensive fare classes. On SQ for instance you need to pay the full Y fare to be able to upgrade using miles...

Speaking of the upgrade checker, have they fixed it already or are there still browser issues when using it?
Old May 20, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Last I checked it was still broken on browsers I use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.