Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Haha, noticed that too. I was slightly tempted to try the chicken tights.
You know, the chicken tights DO seem hot after all, but it's a good thing I opted for something else...

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Greetings from AY43
.... a more personalised meal service, with the dishes served one by one. Nice idea, but took a long time - 2hrs from wheels up to main on the table.
This one-dish-at-a-time concept in J has been promoted by many airlines and, usually, I'd rather get the meals out of the way quickly and rest. The meal service on AY generally takes way too long anyhow, in my opinion.

On flights like AY6 (leaving JFK at 6ish PM and arr @ HEL 9ish AM--which I frequently take), the initial meal service cuts too much into the time I could be resting. Dragging that further would be a bad idea, I'd think. Luckily, w/ the improved AA First Lounge @ JFK, I am now able to have full dinner easily and comfortably before boarding--and decline the onboard meal.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Here's April's menu ex-ICN

Steamed sea bream with spicy soy sauce, grilled zucchini, sweet pumpkin and steamed rice (wish I chose something else. Bland tasting meal)
or
Kalbi Jjim - beef short rib, braised carrot, mushroom, and turnip, roasted gingko nut and steamed rice
or
Ham and cheese filled chicken breast with ratatouille, buttered broccoli and roasted jacket potato with rosemary

The purser came by, saying that they test the sae concept as on the A350 - basically a more personalised meal service, with the dishes served one by one. Nice idea, but took a long time - 2hrs from wheels up to main on the table.
Yep, you very obviously made wrong choice by selecting that sea bream. Thanks to your warning, I didn't choose the fish yesterday, but took that Kalbi Jjim and though I was quite suspicious of it, it turned out to be very tasty, and plated on new kind of oval dish, not those squared ones we all have seen dozens of times. Also got to taste the third option, the chicken breast, and it was very good as well. The dishes were very nicely presented, especially the starter, and somehow I feel that recently the food quality in long haul J in general has improved, both in presentation and taste, except on flights from US. One major thing I still miss is good desserts!

The new service concept trial serving the dishes individually not from the cart is a good enhancement, and with some adjustment they hopefully can make it also a bit faster. Apparently the tiral ended yesterday, at least on A330s, though, and obviously they are now making their conclusions on it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:11 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Options for main course of the current J menu ex-HEL are these:

Option 1
Poached pike-perch, new potatoes and butter sauce with dill

Option 2
Glazed beef brisket, roasted cabbage and truffle sauce

Option 3
Beef lasagne
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:25 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler

Option 1

Option 2
Glazed beef brisket, roasted cabbage and truffle sauce

Option 3
Beef lasagne
Had the beef yesterday, quite nice taste actually..could have used some potatoes..not only cabbage..but not bad at all.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Had the beef yesterday, quite nice taste actually..could have used some potatoes..not only cabbage..but not bad at all.
^ I agree, that beef dish is very tasty, liked it alot! Presentation doesn't stand out, but taste does.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler

Option 1
Isnt it a little early for Finnish new potatoes??
Cant imagine Finland is ahead of Sweden in that respect..
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:24 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Maybe those are from last summer? Vintage new potatoes, nicely matured in cellar.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:45 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
You can buy new harvest potatoes already e.g. from Egypt.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
How far in advance is pre order available? I have a flight coming up 22 May, but I don't see a link to pre order the meal in MMB.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I managed to make a pre-order for my flight on the 30th of June last week. So maybe there's a new bug in the Finnair web pages once again.

Try calling them.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
I'm flying HEL-ORD next week...no pre order available...odd.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Preorder business class long haul

I see link in my online booking to preorder but it just says " option 1, option 2, . option3 " as 3 different choices -- nowhere can I view what specific food is included in each option. My flight is 5/29. Will meal details appear closer to the flight, is this a bug, or am i not looking in the correct place?
Old May 13, 2017, 1:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Sadly, option 1/2/3 is all you'll ever see in that drop-down menu.

The specific food corresponding to options 1/2/3 can be found in a (different) link. It should be found somewhere in the MMB, but if your flight is far from now, it may be that there is a change in menus. As they can only display one menu for each route, a future menu can't be shown.

Go to "Meals" in MMB, and you should find the link just above the drop down. This link will normally go to the menu. If it doesn't (only shows generic description of the SPML) then you can call or send a mail to CS to get the menu.
Attached Images  

Last edited by intuition; May 13, 2017 at 2:18 am Reason: Adding pic
Old May 24, 2017, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
New menus

Finnair announced new menus will be launched on OCT 4 on the longhaul routes. Menus are supposed to showcase Finnish food culture as part of the national centennial anniversary.

Business class for long-haul flights leaving Helsinki

For business class customers flying out of Helsinki on long-haul flights between October 4 and January 9, Finnair’s Signature Menu chef, Eero Vottonen, has put together an exclusive 100 years-themed menu to celebrate the culinary nuances of Finnish food. The menu features delicacies such as Baltic herring, a Karelian stew and a cep mushroom soup flavored with cured elk. Vottonen, supported by the ELO foundation, finished sixth out of twenty-four participants at the prestigious Bocuse d’Or competition in Lyon, France last January.

“When creating Finnair’s centennial menu, I reflected on what Finland and its food culture represent for me,” says Eero Vottonen. “It’s a big honor for me to collaborate with Finnair on this initiative and I’m excited to have the opportunity to introduce the tastes of Finland to thousands of passengers travelling through Finland with Finnair.”

Business class for long-haul flights to Helsinki

For business class customers flying to Helsinki on most long-haul flights between October 4 and January 9, Finnair will offer elements inspired by the Finland 100 years menu which was specially designed by the ELO Foundation to commemorate Finland’s centennial anniversary. The Finland 100 years menu served on Finnair’s flights will feature elements such as pickled salmon, rainbow trout and a Karelian stew with beef and pork. Variations of the ELO Foundation’s 100 years menu will also be served at Finnish embassies around the world to commemorate Finland’s centennial celebration.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Flying to SIN on 13JUN, but no preorders are available online. I can open the window explaining what Options 1/2/3 are, but there are no such options in the drop down menu, only Kosher etc.

Btw. have you tried the pike-perch and new potatoes? Is it worth trying?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.