Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reports on service updates

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Well... The "integrated customer support" might work better for this JV, compared to the NA one, as here at least all the participating airlines are using amadeus (if I'm not mistaken).
In my understanding, JL is not using Amadeus. Not that I've ever booked with JL, but the one flight with them (on an AY ticket), I had to check-in at the desk.

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
As I've written in the "No way AY" thread, with AA, they cannot even issue boarding passes correctly...
I've had Finnair (and British Airways) print AA boarding cards without problems a number of times.

That said, the resulting cards only work properly from European airports. If you connect on AA in the USA, just get a boarding card at the bag recheck. The security checkpoint code readers don't like the European cards much in my experience.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:17 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yellow-tagging

Not sure this is a new "service", but I guess this is the best thread for it.

On recent flights I noticed Finnair has started to yellow-tag carry-on bags. The tags looks like an "Allowed carry-on" tag, with the addition of colour yellow and a symbol indicating the bag should be stored underneath the seat in front of you.
As always, no one followed this subtle instruction and no one policed it.

Does anyone know if this is a new Finnair policy?
I haven't seen any changes published.

Also, since this idea is a BA one, one wonders who is calling the shots in HOTT. N.b. the tag is Finnair branded, but the concept seems to be copied from big brother BA. From the thread over at BA forum it seems not to be working there. Onboard staff cares less than zero about what gate staff yellow tag...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition
Not sure this is a new "service", but I guess this is the best thread for it.

On recent flights I noticed Finnair has started to yellow-tag carry-on bags. The tags looks like an "Allowed carry-on" tag, with the addition of colour yellow and a symbol indicating the bag should be stored underneath the seat in front of you.
As always, no one followed this subtle instruction and no one policed it.

Does anyone know if this is a new Finnair policy?
I haven't seen any changes published.

Also, since this idea is a BA one, one wonders who is calling the shots in HOTT. N.b. the tag is Finnair branded, but the concept seems to be copied from big brother BA. From the thread over at BA forum it seems not to be working there. Onboard staff cares less than zero about what gate staff yellow tag...

I have seen hand luggage tagged many times for statusless (?) pax at check-in desks for years now (without any consistancy to it), but have not seen a gate agent tagging any bag, so that must be new...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:31 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, I can't say it was done by the gate (but that is how BA does it) but they were entirely new tags, with a yellow colour Finnair does not use in any other printed material. This plus the symbol made me think it is not the ordinary approved carry-on tag.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Well, I can't say it was done by the gate (but that is how BA does it) but they were entirely new tags, with a yellow colour Finnair does not use in any other printed material. This plus the symbol made me think it is not the ordinary approved carry-on tag.
Yes, these have been in use for the past year or so.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:10 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
I got this tag once, IIRC at Priority Check-in. I removed the label already before security, why should I store my bag under the seat in front of me if that laptop bag is my only piece of hand luggage?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:27 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkrt
Yes, these have been in use for the past year or so.
Oh, I'm soo busted. This is how seldom I fly Finnair... But seriously, last flight in may and I didn't see it then.
So is the policy the same as BA? Ie anything not yellowed tagged is going to the hull if no space left onboard?

Originally Posted by HJP
I got this tag once, IIRC at Priority Check-in. I removed the label already before security, why should I store my bag under the seat in front of me if that laptop bag is my only piece of hand luggage?
Because, if the rules are the same as on BA, the yellow tag is the only defense against getting it gate-checked and put in the hull.

I don't agree with this system but it is what happens when airlines starts to charge for all checked luggage. People starts to bring so much carry-on it can't be fitted in the cabin and thus forcing the airline to start to gate-check bags for free.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Oh, I'm soo busted. This is how seldom I fly Finnair... But seriously, last flight in may and I didn't see it then.
So is the policy the same as BA? Ie anything not yellowed tagged is going to the hull if no space left onboard?
Because, if the rules are the same as on BA, the yellow tag is the only defense against getting it gate-checked and put in the hull.
No, not really. They very seldom put any bags in the cargo hold and no one will police those tags, really.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I talked with FA during my last longhaul and noticed that there was much less "Anssi-späm" and PA speaker blaablaa and the FA confirmed that they have purposefully reduced the amount of announcements. Good.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Amazing!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:52 pm

Amazing!
Amanssing!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Not sure if it was already mentioned somewhere else, but menu cards in shorthaul J are gone, makes your dinner more exciting when trying to quess what you are eating.
TBH here, they will tell you the main contents and ingredients of the menu when making drink orders.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:08 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

The menu cards...

IIRC, one of the very early posts on FT by me was about the lack of menu cards. They were removed on some destinations (guessing on <2h flight-time) a long time ago, perhaps in 2010.
Then they returned in 2013 as a part of the Marimekko branding. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...l#post20871991)
And now they are gone again. So we can assume the barter deal with Marimekko has ended and now Finnair has no funding for menucards...

On one hand, the cards are not an 'inalienable part of' service. But I can't help thinking it is a bad thing removing them. A major part of enjoying a meal is actually knowing what it is. The sillly buzzword "you eat with all senses" is quite true. After giving this some thought, I think the menu card a big part of the presentation and it will enhance the meal.

As for the "they will tell you the main contents and ingredients of the menu when making drink orders" is is highly dependent on individuals and YMMV.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
The menu cards...

IIRC, one of the very early posts on FT by me was about the lack of menu cards. They were removed on some destinations (guessing on <2h flight-time) a long time ago, perhaps in 2010.
Then they returned in 2013 as a part of the Marimekko branding. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...l#post20871991)
And now they are gone again. So we can assume the barter deal with Marimekko has ended and now Finnair has no funding for menucards...

On one hand, the cards are not an 'inalienable part of' service. But I can't help thinking it is a bad thing removing them. A major part of enjoying a meal is actually knowing what it is. The sillly buzzword "you eat with all senses" is quite true. After giving this some thought, I think the menu card a big part of the presentation and it will enhance the meal.

As for the "they will tell you the main contents and ingredients of the menu when making drink orders" is is highly dependent on individuals and YMMV.
IMO short hauls are ok without menu cards IF the FAs know what they're serving...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by cistavoda
IMO short hauls are ok without menu cards IF the FAs know what they're serving...
And that is quite a big IF. A few weeks back, BUD-HEL in J, the FA didn't really know what we were having for dinner...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.