Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair to enter the transatlantic joint business with AA, BA, IB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to enter the transatlantic joint business with AA, BA, IB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by riku2
change in ORD/JFK, clear immigration, collect your luggage, check it in again and have a domestic USA flight with USA security.
Now I understand this point. Never thought about this all these times I have been flying to the WestCoast... Already decided to start the BA route anyway and dump AY at last.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Finnair Enters Transatlantic Joint Business with AA, BA and IB

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...ss_696001.html

Published: 2013-07-01 11:10:00 CEST

Finnair Plc
Press release

Finnair Enters Transatlantic Joint Business with American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia

Finnair has joined the transatlantic joint business founded by fellow oneworld® alliance members American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia. As of tomorrow, July 2, Finnair customers flying to North America can book flights to dozens more North American cities on one single ticket. Customers of the other three airlines now also have better access to 13 cities in Finland and the rest of Europe, thanks to efficient Nordic and Baltic connections from Finnair’s Helsinki hub.

Earlier today, Finnair announced its intention to join the joint business agreement between oneworld members Japan Airlines and British Airways on traffic between Japan and the European Union. Both moves are examples of Finnair pursuing tighter cooperation within the oneworld alliance to improve network connectivity and better serve the needs of intercontinental customers.

The transatlantic joint business, first undertaken in October 2010 by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia, enables customers the following benefits when flying between North America and the European Union (plus Switzerland and Norway):

• The ability to mix and match flights on all four carriers for the most convenient scheduling and best pricing
• Smoother connections for onward destinations through coordinated schedules and oneworld Global Support centres in Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, London Heathrow, Los Angeles, Madrid Barajas, Miami and New York JFK
• Ability to book transatlantic codeshare flights for Finnair, American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and via any of the airlines’ websites
• Greater benefits for Finnair Plus, Executive Club, Iberia Plus and AAdvantage loyalty program customers, including better opportunities to obtain and use miles on your transatlantic flight
• Integrated customer support – online, through call centres and at the airport
• Greater connectivity on all four airlines in case of disruption

As part of the transatlantic joint business, Finnair has added its (AY*) code to selected American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights between North America and Europe. American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia have also added their respective (AA*), (BA*) and (IB*) code to Finnair’s daily flights between New York and Helsinki. All together, the joint business now operates up to 102 daily round trips between North America and Europe, serving 42 gateways on either side of the Atlantic. Customers also have access to a further 163 onward connections in North America and 126 in Europe.

More flying Finns
Because of Finnair’s comprehensive European route network, besides New York and Chicago Finns now have the ability to book efficient, competitively priced one-stop connections to dozens more North American destinations via stopovers in such European cities as London, Madrid and Milan. Finland and the Baltic Rim is now much more accessible for North American travellers as well.

“The transatlantic joint business has been a big win for European consumers flying to America and vice versa, and now Finland will benefit too,” says Finnair CEO Pekka Vauramo. “Finland is now only a one-stop journey away to many more North American cities, which is great news for Finnish firms doing business in the US, Canada or Mexico, and for leisure travellers as well. By the same token I look forward to more North American business and leisure travellers discovering the unique charms of Finnair and Finland as a result of this partnership.”

“This is an historic day as we welcome Finnair - an airline with a long and proud history - into the transatlantic joint business,” says American Airlines’ Chairman and CEO Tom Horton. “American Airlines is excited to see our transatlantic partnership grow and develop and we are confident that the addition of Finnair will only enhance and strengthen this relationship.”

“The addition of the Helsinki hub to our joint business network will bring faster and easier connections for customers on hundreds of city connections between Europe and North America,” says Willie Walsh, CEO of International Airlines Group (IAG). “Finnair is a great airline and we are delighted to now be able to offer their service to British Airways and Iberia customers.”

Further information: Finnair Media Desk, comms(a)finnair.com, tel. +358 9 818 4020.
Finnair: http://www.finnair.com
Photobank: http://gallery.finnair.com
Finnair Group website: www.finnairgroup.com
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
They are pushing for this with a points promo - earn at least 15000 points for revenue flights and awards with less points than usual. 150000 in business, and 235000 in first for example

https://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/ajb-plus-benefits

Last edited by intuition; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:09 am Reason: added some details
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:31 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Hmm, am I reading this correctly, i.e. we will get more AY+ points from OW TATL flights than before?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Hmm, am I reading this correctly, i.e. we will get more AY+ points from OW TATL flights than before?
For this promo, even discount fare classes give 100%;
Eligible booking classes for 100% point accrual (outside campaign 25% or 50% earning): A, W, G, V, L, N, S, Q, O, Z and R. Earning for all other booking classes is normal.

Last edited by intuition; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:42 am Reason: only HEL-JFK, that is
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Little off point but I don't want to start a new thread. Around July 12 I will want to fly home HEL-LHR-OMA; fairly confident I will be able to get LHR-OMA on AA metal saver J class (50k AA miles one way). How difficult will it be to get the Finnair part, I will check 330 days in advance?

I see I could also try HEL-JFK-ORD-OMA or HEL-TXL-ORD-OMA on Air Berlin? Trying to stay away from BA/IB; I assume Finnair and AB do not have surcharges.

Last edited by kmandrew; Jul 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
HEL-LHR shoud not be difficult - in the worst case in Y...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Little off point but I don't want to start a new thread. Around July 12 I will want to fly home HEL-LHR-OMA; fairly confident I will be able to get LHR-OMA on AA metal saver J class (50k AA miles one way). How difficult will it be to get the Finnair part, I will check 330 days in advance?

I see I could also try HEL-JFK-ORD-OMA or HEL-TXL-ORD-OMA on Air Berlin? Trying to stay away from BA/IB; I assume Finnair and AB do not have surcharges.
10k AAmiles or 7500 Avios to TXL in Y. If you have a lot of luggage AB isn't the best option for you.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
10k AAmiles or 7500 Avios to TXL in Y. If you have a lot of luggage AB isn't the best option for you.
Wouldn't it be part of the 50k J AA award? I thought AA will fly me from HEL home for 50k no matter what the connecting cities are, as long as the award seats are available?

How does luggage come into it on AB, don't I get free luggage especially booking J?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Wouldn't it be part of the 50k J AA award? I thought AA will fly me from HEL home for 50k no matter what the connecting cities are, as long as the award seats are available?

How does luggage come into it on AB, don't I get free luggage especially booking J?
Sorry, thought you wanted to book 2 separate awards

I haven't checked, but HEL-JFK in J is afaik 30k AA miles so 50k sounds a bit steep. If you're booked in J on AB don't worry about baggages unless you go over 2 x 23kg.

There is no J in AB shorthaul, unlike AY or BA. This might affect your decision. Having said that, I find AB inflight service to be superiour to either AY or BA in Y.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
Sorry, thought you wanted to book 2 separate awards

I haven't checked, but HEL-JFK in J is afaik 30k AA miles .
I did not know this, good news as I can book JFK-OMA in F for 25k so if this route is available it will cost me 30k+25k. Now I'm thinking about it AA would still only charge me 50k as international J flies F US domestic; or I could book Y on the 2 domestic legs (JFK-ORD ORD-OMA) for 12.5k+30k. I will know fairly soon I have it down to call on AA August 15/16 to book a July 12 return.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I take it the new "deal" will still allow BA status-holders to get extra luggage on AY whilst AY Silver will not be reciprocated on BA?

On a side note, the email from AY about this promo states: "flight awards from Europe to North America and vice versa can be redeemed with fewer points than before."

Has the required amount of miles been changed? Will this apply to just AY or OW awards, or both perhaps?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by aster
On a side note, the email from AY about this promo states: "flight awards from Europe to North America and vice versa can be redeemed with fewer points than before."

Has the required amount of miles been changed? Will this apply to just AY or OW awards, or both perhaps?
Terms and conditions for the redemption campaign
  • Campaign priced award flights must be booked between 1 September and 31 December 2013.
  • Campaign award flight tickets are valid for travel for 12 months from the day of booking.
  • Flights must be operated by Finnair, American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia.
  • Eligible routes: Europe to North America (continental USA, Canada and Mexico vv.).
  • In addition to Finnair Plus points, passenger is responsible for paying any applicable passenger fees, taxes or any other surcharges.
  • oneworld distance-based awards are not included in the campaign.
  • Campaign is valid for new reservations only.
  • Normal Finnair Plus award rules apply
http://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/ajb-plus-benefits
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Any expectations as to what the promotional redemption rates will be?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by aster
Any expectations as to what the promotional redemption rates will be?
http://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/ajb-plus-benefits

(I don't think there is any redemption campaign running on BAEC or AAdvantage?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.