Wiki Posts
Search

Going to AAdvantage over Finnair?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Going to AAdvantage over Finnair?

I've been a Flying Blue (KLM) Gold for the last 3 years but I've not been happy with their program. This year, I'm 1 leg short of Gold and won't be able to take another flight - time to change programs as long as I'm dropping down to Silver anyway.

I'm based in Helsinki but travel to the US 4x times a year, Australia and Europe every year as well.

I'm hoping someone here has advice on whether Finnair or AA (or even BA)'s frequent flyer programs would be better. I really regretted going with KLM (though I love Schipol airport) and hope not to make the same mistake.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Hi there,

Recommended reading: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...ax-ex-hel.html

I just switched over to AAdvantage because of the 25% accrual with AY deep discount tickets. That has now mostly changed for the better in AY. Too little, too late in my case.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Note that both BA and AA has minimum own-metal requirements for status. That's why AA is a no-go for me, while BA was an excellent replacement for AY.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Note that both BA and AA has minimum own-metal requirements for status. That's why AA is a no-go for me, while BA was an excellent replacement for AY.
What do you mean with "minimum own-metal requirements"? As far as I know AA doesn't care, except for certain promos (challenges, 2X Miles etc.).
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
What do you mean with "minimum own-metal requirements"? As far as I know AA doesn't care, except for certain promos (challenges, 2X Miles etc.).
I suppose he's referring to "minimum 4 segments on AA coded flights per year" that is stated in the AAdvantage terms. However, it has been repeatedly reported that AA are't actually enforcing this rule, but of course there's no guarantee they won't do it in the future.

Last edited by Pteropous; Dec 7, 2012 at 11:10 am
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pteropous
I suppose he's referring to "minimum 4 segments on AA coded flights per year" that is stated in the AAdvantage terms. However, it has been repeatedly reported that AA are't actually enforcing this rule, but of course there's no guarantee they won't do it in the future.
The OP stated that he will be traveling to USA, so AA definitely is something to consider about. Usually AA has pretty competitive fares, so getting the four required segments to be on the safe side should not be a problem, especially since AA is now operating the seasonal HEL-ORD flight.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.