Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair going low cost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by dera
Ovens can be replaced with passengers
Seriously? I have no idea how much room removing the ovens might spare?

Or are they just going for some weight savings?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:27 pm

The cheapest C class prices between Helsinki and Manchester are 1500 €, so no one buys them. Lower the prices to 700 € and I can think of that if the service is good and I need the miles.

In June there are only few days when you can find Y class tickets on AY for 297 €, some combinations are offered for 347/395 €. 495/500 +/ even 695€ appear quite often when you look at www.finnair.com. And these examples are the lowest bookable prices for the day which are shown by their booking engine. It seems that the passengers flying point-to-point pay the highest prices and get the lousiest service and Asian connecting passengers pay almost nothing for the HEL-MAN leg and get better service.

Not offering free soft-drinks and coffee/tea is really bad. Even SAS offer free coffee and tea. And SAS sell also Economy Extra for those passengers who appreciate service.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I was in Y on the E90 to MAN yesterday. This is how the concept works in practice:

You pay for everything. Water is 2€, cheaper than at HEL Duty Free Shop.

There are several cold food options, such as a bagel, a cheese platter, a cold cuts platter etc. The menu card presents these quite nicely on real tableware, but in reality they come in a plastic throw-away case. Prices are ridiculously high. I took the menu with me with the purpose of scanning it and uploading it here but I will be travelling to late June so it's gonna take a while.

I'm not sure about removing the ovens since there are pizzas on the menu, too. OTOH, it wouldn't suprise me if AY tried to sell cold pizzas as an innovation contributing to the environment

The new concept created confusion and negative feedback among the passengers sitting close to me. Also the fact that the old menucard used on European and Domestic flights was still in the seatpocket contributed to the confusion. The flight attendant was very apologetic — it was her first day working with the "trial concept" and she seemed downright embarrassed about the whole system. Sad to see, since AY cabin crew used to be proud of what they do and of their airline. Not so anymore.

The FA also told me that the free service in J also uses throw-away plastic, no tableware and silverware anymore. Glasses are still real in J, however.

There was no announcement nor did I see anyone getting free catering due to Asian connections, but this was a morning flight so there probably weren't any connecting passengers from Asia.

I don't really see how AY thinks they can make a business of offering a low-cost concept with prices of a legacy carrier. This is not going to end well.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nordic
The cheapest C class prices between Helsinki and Manchester are 1500 €, so no one buys them. Lower the prices to 700 € and I can think of that if the service is good and I need the miles.
I have often wondered the same. I have never seen Finnair offering any cheaper intra european business class fares unless connecting somewhere else. BA for example has had prices around 700-800 euros to London and various other destinatios in Europe.

Occasionally, Finnair have had some business class sales ex-Helsinki to Bangkok and New York. Would be delighted to see something similar within Europe. Until then I need to stick with "upgrade by points", because I would definitely not pay the normal prices. And if the Manchester concept spreads, probably won't bother to upgrade with points either...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Originally Posted by ffay005
I was in Y on the E90 to MAN yesterday. This is how the concept works in practice:

You pay for everything. Water is 2€, cheaper than at HEL Duty Free Shop.

There are several cold food options, such as a bagel, a cheese platter, a cold cuts platter etc. The menu card presents these quite nicely on real tableware, but in reality they come in a plastic throw-away case. Prices are ridiculously high. I took the menu with me with the purpose of scanning it and uploading it here but I will be travelling to late June so it's gonna take a while.

I'm not sure about removing the ovens since there are pizzas on the menu, too. OTOH, it wouldn't suprise me if AY tried to sell cold pizzas as an innovation contributing to the environment

The new concept created confusion and negative feedback among the passengers sitting close to me. Also the fact that the old menucard used on European and Domestic flights was still in the seatpocket contributed to the confusion. The flight attendant was very apologetic — it was her first day working with the "trial concept" and she seemed downright embarrassed about the whole system. Sad to see, since AY cabin crew used to be proud of what they do and of their airline. Not so anymore.

The FA also told me that the free service in J also uses throw-away plastic, no tableware and silverware anymore. Glasses are still real in J, however.

There was no announcement nor did I see anyone getting free catering due to Asian connections, but this was a morning flight so there probably weren't any connecting passengers from Asia.

I don't really see how AY thinks they can make a business of offering a low-cost concept with prices of a legacy carrier. This is not going to end well.
All this sounds really bad... I can imagine the confusion/frustration when some passengers are getting a free "snack-bag", while the persons next to them need to pay even for water.

And how frustrated are people in J if they get their cold meal in plastic on a rather longish flight like MAN... Especially in E90 which is cramped in J anyway.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It seems that the passengers flying point-to-point pay the highest prices and get the lousiest service and Asian connecting passengers pay almost nothing for the HEL-MAN leg and get better service.
Correct. I had entertained customers from BBK in Lappland. HEL-IVL-HEL - 440+€ in Y Same flights booked on top of BKK-HEL ticket - 110€ extra. The same non-existant service though...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:19 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Simply unbelievable stuff in this thread...AY seems to be getting more and more clueless every day...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Simply unbelievable stuff in this thread...AY seems to be getting more and more clueless every day...
Almost sounds like they have hired some strategy consultants formerly in charge of "developing" SK/KF "strategy"...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
They are sending out some very mixed signals... They are loud about improving inflight menus (adding "the best vegetarian meal onboard ever")
at the same time they are talking about removing food services or handing out snack-packs...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
When have travelled a few miles down the road from the quality airline, that's for sure...

First to go were the menu cards. They were a nice touch, but of course I could survive without them. But I saved one for nostalgia.
So when we are handed the snack-pack, wrapped in glad pack, and we are paying for the drinks with cash only, we can think back to the good old times...

This is one of the J-menus ex HEL shorthaul euro-traffic about 2 years ago...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Could someone clarify once more that I got this right: If you are traveling

1) MAN-HEL-BKK, in Y you get a snack pack on the MAN-HEL flight

2) MAN-HEL, in Y you get nothing

?

What if you travel MAN-HEL-SVO/SVX or some other city, still nothing?

And, how does it work in practice, do the F/A's check each pax with manifest if they are entitled to the snack pack, or do pax need to show their onward boarding pass to get this treat?

Oh boy, if this is the case, I'm sure there will be lots of bad blood among the pax who are divided to different categories like this! This must be one of the stupidiest decisions by AY management ever, if this will become the new "service concept"!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes, if connecting non-Asia you get nothing

Btw, the snackpack is nothing to write home about, at least if it is the same one that is offered as a Yumble Bunble snack box on the menu. Chips/crisps, bread sticks, crackers, cheese, nut-fruit bar, truffle, hummus.

Breakfast (cold cuts, cheese, egg slices, roll, youghurt, fruit) is 15€, bagel 7€, coffee 3€, combo of wine and sandwich 9€.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Iberia,

You have a competition on the worst short haul carrier within OneWorld now!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Not offering free soft-drinks and coffee/tea is really bad. Even SAS offer free coffee and tea. And SAS sell also Economy Extra for those passengers who appreciate service.
US Airways tried a $2 USD charge for soft drinks and had to back down within 6 months. None of the competitors followed and it was extremely unpopular.

It looks like if you're thirsty and don't have any Euros, better get ready to drink the lav water
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:12 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by EmAAx
US Airways tried a $2 USD charge for soft drinks and had to back down within 6 months. None of the competitors followed and it was extremely unpopular.

It looks like if you're thirsty and don't have any Euros, better get ready to drink the lav water
Well, if they are really only trying out this concept, I do hope the response will be overwhelmingly negative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.