Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Sign in using an external account

Old May 20, 12, 3:09 pm   #1

Programs: Finnair Platinum (One World Emerald), Hilton Honors Diamond, SAS EuroBonus Gold (Star Alliance Gold)
Finnair Plus advice needed

Hi,

I have a question for the experts on the board. I have been a finnair platinum member the past 3 years.

I currently have 100k tier points and 200k finnair points available.

With my tracking period ending i was wondering what the benefits of trading in points (how many would i have to trade in?) to get another year of platinum vs just staying in gold?

any advice or considerations would be much appreciated!

Cheers
biggfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 12, 10:58 pm   #2

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The exchange rate is 3:1 - 3 points for 1 tier point, max 50% of the tier points needed to requalify may be exchanged.

In your case 150k points would get you the 50k tier points you need to have the 150k TP for Plat.

I don't know if it's a good deal or not, you should do the math yourself.
WilcoRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 12, 11:08 pm   #3
Ambassador: Finnair Plus

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Plat Amb, FB Silver, Miles and Smiles Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggfill View Post
Hi,

I have a question for the experts on the board. I have been a finnair platinum member the past 3 years.

I currently have 100k tier points and 200k finnair points available.

With my tracking period ending i was wondering what the benefits of trading in points (how many would i have to trade in?) to get another year of platinum vs just staying in gold?

any advice or considerations would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Welcome to the FT, biggfill! One more detail, you can change points only increments of 15,000 points (which translates into 5000 tier points). And it costs 20. Without knowing your situation, I don't know if it is worthwhile or not. Do you plan to travel with family? Then upgrading up three family members to roundtrip longhaul business for 50,000 could be valuable...
SPBanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 12, 12:19 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPBanker View Post
And it costs 20.
For plats it's free. Only the hoi polloi pays
Old May 21, 12, 12:32 am   #5

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, QR Silver
For me personally the plat level is extremely important, so I have always kept aside some points to do the trading for tierpoints in case I don't reach the 150k for platinum. (though, I have yet not needed it!)

Why?
I travel to some destinations where there are some really nice first class lounges, which is one of the perks I value. Also, the unpublished perk of higher priority for plats to get the upgrades cleared. Finally, some airlines in OW treats you really nice if you are an emerald.

And since I find it difficult to use my award points for anything useful, I have a stack of close to useless points, so it wouldn't hurt me very much if I need to trade them in, even at the 3:1 ratio.

Staying at gold - I can come up with one good reason to let your account fall to gold level: If you plan to fly the needed 150k during your gold-year, you will get twice rewarded with upgrade vouchers. First when you get downgraded, you will get 4 shorthaul vouchers (Gold perk). Then, if you reach 150k during the membership year, you will get another 4 SH and 2 LH (plat perk) Then finally, when your membership year ends, you will get another 4 SH and 2 LH vouchers (plat perk for next year).
Old May 21, 12, 2:07 am   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
And since I find it difficult to use my award points for anything useful, I have a stack of close to useless points, so it wouldn't hurt me very much if I need to trade them in, even at the 3:1 ratio.
I'll be happy to help you get rid of those - even pay the 20 tranfer fee
Old May 21, 12, 3:26 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I'll be happy to help you get rid of those - even pay the 20 tranfer fee
Hehe, I am sure you will! Can FT be considered as a big family?

But frankly, I am in a vicious circle - if I buy discount econ tix and use points for upgrades I will not make plat next year. (I just can't find time for 25 R/T to SE Asia in a year (at 25% earnings) , even if I'd love to do that
And as soon as plat status comes to an end, AY will delete all points over 3 years old. It is a lose-lose situation...
Old May 21, 12, 4:02 am   #8

Quote:
And as soon as plat status comes to an end, AY will delete all points over 3 years old. It is a lose-lose situation...
Seriously?? The decent thing would be to start the 3 years clock when dropping from Plat to Gold...

If I were you, I'd move my points out of AY to a hotel program (Intercontinental's Priority club* or Hilton Honours) or even do some online shopping for Rimowa luggage.

* these never expiry

EDIT - I am just looking at the AY site and it seems that both IC and Hilton have disappeared from their hotel list The rest is rather useless for me, most if it either in Finland or specific hotels abroad.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; May 21, 12 at 4:35 am.
Old May 21, 12, 5:07 am   #9

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Plat Amb, FB Silver, Miles and Smiles Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
Seriously?? The decent thing would be to start the 3 years clock when dropping from Plat to Gold...

If I were you, I'd move my points out of AY to a hotel program (Intercontinental's Priority club* or Hilton Honours) or even do some online shopping for Rimowa luggage.

* these never expiry

EDIT - I am just looking at the AY site and it seems that both IC and Hilton have disappeared from their hotel list The rest is rather useless for me, most if it either in Finland or specific hotels abroad.
Hmm, you can still get points from IC and Hilton stays to you AY+ account. At least I found a page that says so! (And I received my latest HH doubledip points two weeks ago. ) I didn't even know it was possible to move AY miles/points to these programs.
Old May 21, 12, 5:12 am   #10

Quote:
Hmm, you can still get points from IC and Hilton stays to you AY+ account. At least I found a page that says so! (And I received my latest HH doubledip points two weeks ago. ) I didn't even know it was possible to move AY miles/points to these programs.
It used to be - to IC definitely, to Hilton it might have been some paper certificate redeemable for stays.

Earning is a whole different kettle of fish.
Old May 21, 12, 6:48 pm   #11

Quote:
Hehe, I am sure you will! Can FT be considered as a big family?

But frankly, I am in a vicious circle - if I buy discount econ tix and use points for upgrades I will not make plat next year. (I just can't find time for 25 R/T to SE Asia in a year (at 25% earnings) , even if I'd love to do that
My attitude on all programs is: EARN AND BURN. The points are not earning any interest, and there seems to be a very general tendency to slowly depreciate their value through various "category changes" and "enhancements". So unless you are building towards something mega big, quick turnaround is preferred.
Old May 22, 12, 12:35 am   #12

Absolutely true! All programs tend to get worse over time (ie the loyalty is only one way...)
Also, this is difficult times for all airlines. We saw what happened to MA and IB the last months and JZ is folding today...

Unfortunately I have only managed to burn 7500 AY-points in 4 years.
Old May 22, 12, 6:05 am   #13

Programs: AY Emerald
Quote:
A couple year ago I got Hilton Gold card and realized that it was because if my Platinum AY card. It was only one or two ear shot and have not seen that since. Now I only have basic Hilton card since using so many different hotel chains.
Laajo is offline   Reply With Quote