AY+ upgrade certificates

Old May 10, 2012, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In defence of AY (who would have thought I'd write this sentence ) the calculation probably goes like this

4 s/h upg is 40k points

1 classic s/h award is also 40k points

So the value of an upg voucher is 10k points, which you can use as the above options.

Clearly stating things is not a forte of AY+, we all know that
Not really as you can use these for the 2 for 1 on bkk route too so value jumps to 150k then
Old May 10, 2012, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kauppias
Not really as you can use these for the 2 for 1 on bkk route too so value jumps to 150k then
Yeah, I got all confused what is allowed and what's not. L/h 2-4-1 is allowed, but only in Y.

Actually 2-4-1 in l/h Y is not bad propostion at all - not something I'd personnally would much like to do, but taking into account that much of my redemptions are for family and friends, it's OK. Call me cheap, but I'd happily put juniors or junior+junior's partner into Y - even though they might have been spoilt by travelling with dad, they are grateful for any ticket in Y they don't have to pay for
Old May 10, 2012, 1:41 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Call me cheap, but I'd happily put juniors or junior+junior's partner into Y - even though they might have been spoilt by travelling with dad, they are grateful for any ticket in Y they don't have to pay for
I wouldn't call you cheap and further I'll second you on that..you have to draw the line somewhere, don't you...

On a different note: 4 s/h upgrades + 150k points + YQ + taxes is still a LOT for 2 rtn coach tickets to BKK...I would never ever do such redemption myself..much rather pay hard cash for the coach tickets (for junior(s)) and use vouchers and points more wisely...but that's just me..

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; May 10, 2012 at 1:46 am
Old May 10, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I wouldn't call you cheap and further I'll second you on that..you have to draw the line somewhere, don't you...

On a different note: 4 s/h upgrades + 150k points + YQ + taxes is still a LOT for 2 rtn coach tickets to BKK...I would never ever do such redemption myself..much rather pay hard cash for the coach tickets (for junior(s)) and use vouchers and points more wisely...but that's just me..
The kids mainly fly s/h - yes, I know not the best use, but especially as long as the younger one is <18 it's actually cheap (junior redemption)

I agree, that el cheapo revenue tix to Asia + upgrades are a much better use of cash and points/vouchers
Old May 10, 2012, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
According to AY the gold member has to be one of the travelers...

The yq+ tax on bkk route was about 200 and no tax for second person so not too bad... But still 150k points...
Old May 10, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The yq+ tax on bkk route was about 200 and no tax for second person so not too bad... But still 150k points...
In effect 75k/pax + 100 per pax. Not bad at all. Especially given that a single s/h redemption is 44k + 100 or so.

But yes - you need to have those 150k points. Nearly 2 years hoard for someone who just makes Gold every year.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AY Emerald

Did I understood right, you only paid taxes for one ticket, about 200e and second nothing? Where does it state that the second would not pay taxes?

I flew with my kids (17 and 22y) in feb to BKK and paid 3 x 250e = 750e taxes and 450.000 points.
Old May 12, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Laajo;18561738]Did I understood right, you only paid taxes for one ticket, about 200e and second nothing? Where does it state that the second would not pay taxes?

I flew with my kids (17 and 22y) in feb to BKK and paid 3 x 250e = 750e taxes and 450.000 points.[/QUOTE

When using the two for one offer only taxes for one ticket are charged according to AY
Old May 15, 2012, 10:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

What about availability? Must there be two seats available in some special class for this to work, or can you search for a date where there is 1 seat avilable and then call AY?

In effect 75k/pax + 100 per pax. Not bad at all. Especially given that a single s/h redemption is 44k + 100 or so.

But yes - you need to have those 150k points. Nearly 2 years hoard for someone who just makes Gold every year.
Actually, 150k points + 200 + 4 SH vouchers, right?

Alternate use:
Buy 2 el-cheapo tickets in Y, total 800, use 4 SH vouchers and 165k points (3x 55k) and you have a 2-for-1 in business longhaul.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
What about availability? Must there be two seats available in some special class for this to work, or can you search for a date where there is 1 seat avilable and then call AY?

Actually, 150k points + 200 + 4 SH vouchers, right?

Alternate use:
Buy 2 el-cheapo tickets in Y, total 800, use 4 SH vouchers and 165k points (3x 55k) and you have a 2-for-1 in business longhaul.

Taxes only for one ticket so 100
Old May 15, 2012, 10:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Taxes only for one ticket so 100
May I ask on what route? If I price out a GOT-NRT it will add 303 on a single ticket. A HEL-NRT adds 288 of "taxes and fees"
Old May 15, 2012, 11:27 am
Original Poster

May I ask on what route? If I price out a GOT-NRT it will add 303 on a single ticket. A HEL-NRT adds 288 of "taxes and fees"
I was using the HEL-BKK example I used in the earlier post, but point was that only ONE set of taxes is charged on the two for one
Old May 15, 2012, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I was using the HEL-BKK example I used in the earlier post, but point was that only ONE set of taxes is charged on the two for one
Sorry to be persistent, and maybe it is clear to anyone but me, but this still means a 2-for-1 HEL-BKK would cost you in total 148k points, 280€ and 4 SH vouchers, right?

Or how do you come up with 100€ in taxes?
Old May 15, 2012, 12:57 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Alternate use:
Now this is how real FTers do it...coach awards on FT is a bit like cheering for the Swedish Ice Hockey Team in a bar in "Kontula, Helsinki"
Old May 15, 2012, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Now this is how real FTers do it...coach awards on FT is a bit like cheering for the Swedish Ice Hockey Team in a bar in "Kontula, Helsinki"
Grdsbacka do look like an ordinary swedish concrete suburb.
OK, no cheering when we take you on in the semi finals then...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.