Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:06 am   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: HEL
Posts: 150
Finnair Spa & Sauna in Helsinki

Have they closed the facilities, last week I did not see any signs and doors were closed, also cannot find any info on AY pages?? Forgot to ask the lounge people.....

If closed, is something replacing the area? No matter how nice it was and a great experience, it was more or less waist of valuable space, which would be better used as lounge extension, since the non-schengen lounge gets very crowded every afternoon.

PS. discussed also elsewhere, but no problems getting into the non-schengen lounge last week with BA Silver and you also get sparkling wine and drinks from the bar with it....
sakari1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:23 am   #2
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: BA Gold, AY Silver, TK Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 2,376
I heard a rumour that they were planning to close it soon, haven't seen anything official, though..

Not a surprise the slightest...I said this the day they announceded the news about the spa..this will not be profitable and here we see the reality..
NoWindowSeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:49 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, SPG Plat
Posts: 614
I always thought an airport spa is an excellent idea that has real demand under some circumstances but not in the case of AY/HEL.

Take LHR, for example. I have enjoyed BA's shower+lounge enormously in the last 10+ years when connecting from LH to SH. Typical LHR connecting times (quite often more than a couple of hours) give ample time for a relaxed shower, getting changed, some breakfast and reading morning papers. A spa could well complement these and fill even more of the long wait.

Then take HEL. Connecting times before and after the Asian wave are so good that the time needed for a relaxed spa visit just is not there. Before an ex-HEL flight, who (apart from FTers) would arrive early at the airport just to visit the spa? I have only visited once, when connecting from a morning SH to a late evening LH and doing other things in town in between.
timol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:58 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: AA, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://media.finnair.com/spa/site/
You can visit Spa and book treatments until 31 January 2012 after which it will be closed for maintenance starting 1 February 2012.
No indication whatsoever about the expected duration of "maintenance". Indefinitely?
Pteropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 9:04 am   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Asia/Europe
Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Posts: 5,763
What a wasted opportunity if true.

But no wonder as marketing especially at outstations was done poorly and most AY passengers probably never knew this option actually existed. If something can be learned from the likes of Ryanair, then it's active pre-and inflight sales including these kind of services.

Japanese, Korean and Russian transit passengers all come from cultures where this concept fits in ideally, so really quite surprised how it has been allowed to fail if the news is like stated.

But then, one more reason to consider transiting at LHR, MUC or HKG en route to Asia instead of HEL as the Via Lounge really is nothing special. The Spa is and was.
mosburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 9:20 am   #6
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CPH (MMX)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, QR Silver
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by timol View Post
I always thought an airport spa is an excellent idea that has real demand under some circumstances but not in the case of AY/HEL.

Take LHR, for example. I have enjoyed BA's shower+lounge enormously in the last 10+ years when connecting from LH to SH. Typical LHR connecting times (quite often more than a couple of hours) give ample time for a relaxed shower, getting changed, some breakfast and reading morning papers. A spa could well complement these and fill even more of the long wait.

Then take HEL. Connecting times before and after the Asian wave are so good that the time needed for a relaxed spa visit just is not there. Before an ex-HEL flight, who (apart from FTers) would arrive early at the airport just to visit the spa? I have only visited once, when connecting from a morning SH to a late evening LH and doing other things in town in between.
Bummer, we should ask for lousy connections so we can enjoy the spa!

Well, on the serious side, you are quite right. I never though there was a back side to short connections, but there you have it! I have been a bit disturbed that I have not been able to use it as much as I'd like. I actually have skipped first connection so that I would have a few hours to relax at HEL (the NRT-HEL-sweden will work for that, as it arrives to HEL in daytime.)
But for most asian flights, they are nighttime and outside the opening hours of the SPA.

Short connections and night flights are ++ in my book, and SPA sadly then comes in second place. But, I hope it is maintenance, and it will be back in march or so!
__________________
openflights
intuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 9:27 am   #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Asia/Europe
Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Posts: 5,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by arahlen View Post
Short connections and night flights are ++ in my book, and SPA sadly then comes in second place. But, I hope it is maintenance, and it will be back in march or so!
After quick checking, I think it is closed down for good in the present form. Something else will be located in the spa premises, not sure what that will be.

Maybe a day spa without the saunas and showers but with massage chairs and some manual massage modeled after LHR and other airports? Or a sort of rest area within the lounge?
mosburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 9:31 am   #8
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CPH (MMX)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, QR Silver
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosburger View Post
What a wasted opportunity if true.

But no wonder as marketing especially at outstations was done poorly and most AY passengers probably never knew this option actually existed. If something can be learned from the likes of Ryanair, then it's active pre-and inflight sales including these kind of services.

Japanese, Korean and Russian transit passengers all come from cultures where this concept fits in ideally, so really quite surprised how it has been allowed to fail if the news is like stated.

But then, one more reason to consider transiting at LHR, MUC or HKG en route to Asia instead of HEL as the Via Lounge really is nothing special. The Spa is and was.
Yes, we don't know if it is closing or not. But truly a waste if it is. It fits superbly for the bathing culture of asia, paired with the "exotic" saunas of Finland!

Lately, there have been spa-invites in the amenity kits onboard with 30% off entrance fee. But other than that? Haven't seen any marketing lately, sadly.

BTW the 30% discount vouchers have a valid until of june 30 2012, if that is to be taken as any sign of the son return of the spa
__________________
openflights
intuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 10:02 am   #9
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49

Wow...this would be a huge downgrade if they decide to do this. I use this spa almost everytime, it's a great place for privacy and to relax. It's mostly dead empty though and I guess most passengers skip to use it because of the 35 fee. I'm only using it frequently because I can get in there free as AY Platinum.

I've mailed their customer support to see if this is actually true.
Yekermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 10:06 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 12,851
Hopefully it reopens- this was the only redeeming feature of HEL!
TRAVELSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 12:42 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: HEL
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yekermo View Post

Wow...this would be a huge downgrade if they decide to do this. I use this spa almost everytime, it's a great place for privacy and to relax. It's mostly dead empty though and I guess most passengers skip to use it because of the 35 fee. I'm only using it frequently because I can get in there free as AY Platinum.

I've mailed their customer support to see if this is actually true.
The entrance fee was 45 - a pretty hefty price I would say and probably one reason people didn't use it very much....

But if it would only be maintenance, why have ALL the signs been removed, there is absolutely nothing that even remotly indicates there has been or ever will be a spa.....

Only used it once due to delayed NYC flight - and even being in J, they didn't give any discount on entrance fee....
sakari1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 12:44 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: HEL
Posts: 150
oh, forgot to say that if you booked a treatment you got also free entrance, but how many knew this
sakari1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 1:44 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 683
According to Finnair's facebook the Finnair Spa & Saunas were closed on the 1st of February. Later this year they will offer some new services for peace of mind.
nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 2:22 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HEL, Finland
Programs: AY Emerald
Posts: 188
Sitting in the Finnair Lounge on the way on holidays ;-).
Asked the lounge staff about the SPA, which is under renovation I was told.
Laajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 12, 3:11 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tallinn / Isle of Man
Programs: Avios Silver, Finnair Plus, Club Carlson Gold, Intercontinental Ambassador, MUCCI
Posts: 539
Seriously. I loved the premises, but €45 for entry????? So should you travel with the wife - €90? I would love to smoke from the same pipe with the people, who thought this was good value. €20 and I probably would have used it a few more times.
__________________
It doesn't matter where you are going as long as you are going First Class
helahela is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.