Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online seat selection gone??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Any way to select seats or even see seatmap on AY?

I have four upcoming AY flights booked (as a JL ticketed award). Just how it's been every time I've had it ticketed by AA (AA award) in the past, there is no option to select any seats at any price - when I load up the PNR and go to "additional services," it's all blank under "seat" with no link or ability to do anything.

Am I missing something obvious here? (Others here seem to be able to pull up an option to select seats for $$. But I don't even see that.) I just load up the PNR on finnair.com under "manage booking" (enter the PNR and the last name) and then expend the "additional services," which is where the seats are hidden. But, under seats it's all blank.

Note that the reservation is ticketed (was so ticketed last month), so it's not just a reservation, it is fully ticketed about a week ago. The flights are for next summer, so not sure does AY only open seat selection closer in, perhaps? (If so, how many days out does it open?)

Before in the past for AA ticketed AY flights it was easy: I just asked AA to do the AY flight seat selection (for a flight book for some 10~11 months later, so there seemed to be no advance seat selection restriction), and it stuck and was good and even showed on finnair.com. But, for JL ticketed flights JL won't do so (they won't allow to do seat selection for award flights), so I have to have AY do it.

I know that contacting AY is pointless - it has truly non-existent CS, as every time in the past I've e-mailed them (asking for seat selection, as it is not available on the site), they never even bothered to respond. AY seems to treat its business class pax worse than almost any other airline: totally non-responsive CS, no way to call them without paying (!), no way to select seats online (when, at least for business class, with any respectable airline, BA notwithstanding, seat selection is always free and easy, simple online).

So, any advice here on how to get the seats selected? (I am particular about 2L on the AY A330s and really want to get it set while it's still open.)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:15 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The seat selection is currently broken and no one can access it AFAIK. CS is your only option.

There is a recent EU law forbidding charging for customer service. Sadly AY has not complied with this yet, but calling the swedish number might bypass their infamous charge service, or at least lower the cost ( +46771781100) If you skype it, it is 0,034 €/minute.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:19 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
The seat selection is currently broken and no one can access it AFAIK. CS is your only option.

There is a recent EU law forbidding charging for customer service. Sadly AY has not complied with this yet, but calling the swedish number might bypass their infamous charge service, or at least lower the cost ( +46771781100)
Also Facebook and Twitter teams seem to be pretty responsive.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Website seems to work again.

Just bought a ticket and at first it collapsed, but I retried and I could buy one and select seats as well.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
--I know that contacting AY is pointless --
E-mail to '[email protected]',
they promptly changed my seat and replied quite fast.

The seat selection (regarding J) has been "out of order" for couple of weeks now. It's weird because it works with Y, but not with J...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
That email address is for AY+ members upgrade request, so so certain it is wise to post it publicly.

The seat selection is probably disabled during the development to allow new seat selection rules ("comfort") and for the new ordering of meals. As this will be rolled out 1 nov, so expect it to work sometime before that.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
That email address is for AY+ members upgrade request, so so certain it is wise to post it publicly.
I'm no AY+ member and I've used this for few years and
always received prompt replies.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

... which is kind of my point. Maybe we should recommend everyone to use the platinum hotline too..
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
E-mail to '[email protected]',
they promptly changed my seat and replied quite fast.

The seat selection (regarding J) has been "out of order" for couple of weeks now. It's weird because it works with Y, but not with J...
Thank You! I have just e-mailed them at this address. (I also had already tried online CS and online "Internet" service contact, but as before, they seem to outright ignore all the requests sent to those departments.)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:45 am

... which is kind of my point. Maybe we should recommend everyone to use the platinum hotline too..
Well, when all the other contact means are outright ignored and when AY never replies via the "proper" contact channels, then what other choice is there? Seriously..
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
BTW - the plat line is the one OWE pax should use. On one occasion I was put throught there from normal line, since then I call them directly.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:08 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
It's a public email address so let's leave it up to AY to decide what they handle there and to whom they reply
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:02 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by HJP
I booked AY5/6 through aa.com, and tried to select seats with AY record locator found on my e-ticket. The seat selection button is gone indeed, but I somehow managed to get to the right page by using the link for adding TSA information. I selected seats and confirmed them, but the site never asked me to pay for those seats (I am AA GLD = OWR). Checkmytrip indicates that my current seat selection is confirmed. Does this mean that I got these seats for free, or are they going to ask for money at the airport?

Strange thing: AA.com shows that these flights have been replaced with new flight numbers, AA6025->AA8985. All the details remained same. I noticed this today, maybe they are only messing with the codeshare flight numbers?
Answer to myself: Codeshare numbers changed, and the allocated seats are confirmed free of charge. It seems that AA changed all AY codeshare numbers. Thanks to AY & their IT glitch for free seats!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
BTW - the plat line is the one OWE pax should use. On one occasion I was put throught there from normal line, since then I call them directly.
Do they serve OWS in the Gold line?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by remymartin
Just tried, received a confirmation of payment and an Amadeus receipt. I called in to ask why I was charged and the gentleman on the other side of line calmly assured me no charge had been taken from the card.

It's confusing to say the least, but I hear AB has it the same way.
I just got charged from making seat reservations. Before this has worked with no problem. Called AY+ they said that system has changed, OW card holders have to call to select the seat without cost. In addition the agent couldn't do the refund, had to put a request to another department for the refund. Said that it should be ok, couldn't promise that I would get it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.