Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Old May 9, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by kauppias
I wonder how many cancelled their amex cards due to the insurance? I did
I didn't, as there just aren't any other CC competitors (for me) in this market. Or am I missing something?
Old May 9, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
I'm about to cancel Amex, will keep thru summer as I have some bookings made before the change and therefore old insurance terms valid....

With new bookings, the Amex insurance is worthless (=with my travel patterns never valid), only perk for me is Priority Pass and BAEC Avios transfers.... So maybe a little hesitation about canceling.

Nordea MasterCard Gold gives you almost as good insurance as Amex used to and that card does not cost a penny (if Nordea client, maybe need to be the so called "avainasiakas"). Nothing needs to be paid with the card for the insurance to be valid.
Old May 9, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
I didn't, as there just aren't any other CC competitors (for me) in this market. Or am I missing something?
It depemds on ones needs but diners gives 2-3 ay- points per euro spent entry into some lounges etc I find that a good value but petsonally i credit most points to SK as they also offer better value then AY
Old May 10, 2012, 9:43 am

It depemds on ones needs but diners gives 2-3 ay- points per euro spent entry into some lounges etc I find that a good value but petsonally i credit most points to SK as they also offer better value then AY
That's true, but I wouldn't compare Diners and Amex Plt as I feel they're different products. Amex offers interesting programmes in travel (FHR, comp'd SPG, Hilton, Carlson, PP) that I have not come across elsewhere. And they have the restaurant programme which I have had success with especially abroad, lesser and lesser in Finland though.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
That's true, but I wouldn't compare Diners and Amex Plt as I feel they're different products. Amex offers interesting programmes in travel (FHR, comp'd SPG, Hilton, Carlson, PP) that I have not come across elsewhere. And they have the restaurant programme which I have had success with especially abroad, lesser and lesser in Finland though.
they have a diners premium maybe thats more on par with platinum but with the change in insurance I do NOT see a value worth 550€ but maybe some do the diners costs me ZERO € and mastercards also ZERO € as well as VISA gold ZERO € so for amex to charge 550€ I would expect more value for my €'s

just my two cents
Old May 10, 2012, 10:30 am

oh and also a side note hotel programs are easy enough to match to for instance SPG Hilton Carlton all give gold cards to various card holders and gold members
Old May 10, 2012, 11:04 am

oh and also a side note hotel programs are easy enough to match to for instance SPG Hilton Carlton all give gold cards to various card holders and gold members
Do you have examples? My HH gold turned blue while it was dusting away..
Old May 10, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Do you have examples? My HH gold turned blue while it was dusting away..
Carslon definitley matches easily - I got Gold for my IC Plat

HH - they had (?) a campaign for certain Visa holders for comp Gold. For a long time it was enough to feed the first 4 digits of an eligible card

Marriott gives 90 day Gold/Plat challenges - if you have some upcoming stays it's worth to aski it, even though you will not (re)qualify

Sofitel gives Plat to all comers, so does Best Western

(View from the Wing has details, I got some of these from there)
Old May 10, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In general you are right. But on the Diners front, AY wins - I value 2-2,5 AY points/€ spent higher then 1 EB points/€
Old May 13, 2012, 2:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Exclamation

I did not, as I found a nice way to get Marco Polo Gold card through Amex Platinum. Also some trips already booked before the insurance policy was changing.

However, they are already increasing the Platinum fee in UK and I am just waiting their turn in Finland as well. If the fee will be increasing, then bye bye platinum...
Old May 14, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Some of my friends cancelled their cards. I instead changed my previous Platinum to a new Platinum where I pay €390:- per year - this is a co-branded Platinum card with a private club, all regular Platinum advantages/rules apply.

Originally Posted by Saturne-79
I did not, as I found a nice way to get Marco Polo Gold card through Amex Platinum. Also some trips already booked before the insurance policy was changing.

However, they are already increasing the Platinum fee in UK and I am just waiting their turn in Finland as well. If the fee will be increasing, then bye bye platinum...
Saturne-79, did you get Marco Polo Gold through your Finnis Platinum or with UK Platinum? If Finnish then I'd be very interested in hearing how you did it?
Old May 14, 2012, 2:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Originally Posted by vulle
Some of my friends cancelled their cards. I instead changed my previous Platinum to a new Platinum where I pay €390:- per year - this is a co-branded Platinum card with a private club, all regular Platinum advantages/rules apply.

Saturne-79, did you get Marco Polo Gold through your Finnis Platinum or with UK Platinum? If Finnish then I'd be very interested in hearing how you did it?

Who has co-branded platinum in Finland? How to apply it?

I did it through UK platinum website. I asked about that from Finland as well, but they where unaware of this or any other promotions...
Old May 14, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by Saturne-79
Who has co-branded platinum in Finland? How to apply it?

I did it through UK platinum website. I asked about that from Finland as well, but they where unaware of this or any other promotions...
Co-branded cards offered to public are at least offered through Evli, Mandatum and Ålandsbanken.

And naturally Finnish Amex has many less promotions that the US, UK etc...
Old May 25, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Until the end of June AMEX Finland offers 30% bonus on MR transfer to BAEC Avios, so the original 5:4 ration goes 5:5,2
Just had a transfer - the AMEX CS said it takes 5-10 days to show up on my BAEC account, it was there within 24 hrs ^
Old Jul 6, 2012, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I don't want to create a new topic so I bring up this one

I had my usual yearly chat with AMEX CS yesterday about waiving the yearly fee for my Amex Gold - they said that since spring 2011 they have a new policy to (automatically?) waive the fee for the main card if the yearly spending is over 15k€ but are not allowed to waive the fee for the companion card. After some more discussion she agreed to waive it as well "this one time". ^

This is a welcome change, no need to remember to call them every year
Just called them to have the fee waived on my (main and only) card, customer rep said it was impossible to do and claimed that they had received strict orders from the "head office" that the fees must be collected.

Or actually she said first that they've never waived fees except for some old cards that had been issued with this kind of terms, and even that had ended at least a year ago; when I pointed out that they have waived fees more recently than a year and for normal cards without any special terms, she told about the head office orders which I think she said have been in effect since [this year's?] spring.

I can't say if there really is a new unbreakable head office rule that forces them to rather lose a customer than waive the fee (although it was a bit odd that she didn't give this reason until later during the call), but have any FTers over here had recent experiences about a change in the rules?

I told her I'll have to think whether I want to keep the card after this (which is the truth - with all other cards I have, I'm not sure if Amex is worth keeping if I have to pay for it).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.