Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Originally Posted by FFlash
Just wanted to give heads up for anyone interested, and thought this would fit in here:

AMEX Gold card first year free and 10 000 MR points are currently on offer until end of March. I just got an offer and sadly enough I had applied for one in Dec-2013 which just arrived two weeks ago so I am gonna miss those 10k points
Hi,
On offer where?
Their website doesn't mention this?
-
DJ
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thumbs down

Just a heads up for forum members who collect MR points

As of oct 2014 Amex gold cards will no longer earn 2 pts per euro on grocerirs and gasoline. Effectively one will earn the same on a green card a third of the card cost.

YMMV But for me this is a BIG devaluation as a big portion of my card spend comes from these.

They are offering a free spouse etc card but still not good in my opinion... Just thought I would let you know incase someone missed the Amex letter!!

This is for Finland based Amex cards!!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
And don't forget the hidden 100€/yr extra cost from Oct/2015

From Oct/2014 - 1 free spouse card (-70€)
From Oct/2015 - yearly fee will not be waived (+170€)

I think I will have to rethink my Amex membership next year - less perks (points) for 100€ more. Really?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E, HHonors Gold
Sad news. I called Amex a few months ago and they told some big news are coming. I thought they were refering to a new co-branded card etc. But knowing how phatetic Finnish Amex is maybe this is the resolution.

What next? Is UK Plat still usable option?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Uk card is where I will go soon... I got the idea there will be some good news coming in september to do with travel but it would have to be pretty big to keep me happy otherwise the green card is only 75€/year
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
And don't forget the hidden 100€/yr extra cost from Oct/2015

From Oct/2014 - 1 free spouse card (-70€)
From Oct/2015 - yearly fee will not be waived (+170€)

I think I will have to rethink my Amex membership next year - less perks (points) for 100€ more. Really?
Where did you read about the yearly fee not waived? Or are you currently using "first year free"? At least in my letter there was nothing mentioned.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Furry
Where did you read about the yearly fee not waived? Or are you currently using "first year free"? At least in my letter there was nothing mentioned.
Last paragraph:

Normaalilla jäsenyysmaksulla enemmän etuja

Gold Card-kortin uudistuksen yhteydessä kortin käyttöön perustuva jäsenmaksun hyvitys poistuu 1.10.2015... blah, blah, blah

In the same paragraph

Nämä uudet ja entistä monipuolisemmat edut julkistamme syyskuun lopussa

These will have to be really mind blowing to counter the 100€ higher yearly fees and the 50% cut in earning MR points for groceries and gas.

Ah and while we are at it - "Tulevaisuudessa tiedotamme sinue Membership Rewards-ohjelman maksuja koskevista muutoksista 30 päivää ennen niiden voimaantulemista. Nykyisissä ehdoissa tämä aika on 6 kuukautta."
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anselmi
What next? Is UK Plat still usable option?
Tell me more, tell me more! How does that work for non-UK residents?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:40 pm

Tell me more, tell me more! How does that work for non-UK residents?
You can get the dollar card yearly fee 500$ or €uro card fee 500€ if I remember correctly. Cards issued in UK and application process is more stringent then for Finnish cards... But a great alternative

Here there are high fees and nill promotions...

Not worth it to me to keep gold after the changes, unless theres some super benefit, yeah not holding my breath
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I got a letter from Amex too. Pretty weak.

My card has been useless for a couple of months already though, since I have been unhappy for some groceries/fuel not posting as double points and they failed to credit me a 10k Scandic promo bonus. Now this new letter will just confirm my canceling of my Gold card (which I got "first-year free")
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I still find it pretty weird the double points has been Gold card specific and not a Plat benefit? Is that true?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I give them the benefit of doubt until late-Sept when the new benefits will be announced - though I don't hold my breath.

What would make me rethink to keep the card would be - SPG/Hilton/Carlson status (though I'm good with those until 2016), better conversion rates (at least 1:1 to airlines and to SPG, 1:2 to HH) and MUCH more travel conversion partners. Even more a co-branded card (HH, SPG, BA, whatnot)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Using MR points towards BA Avios has been great, with the 30% bonus last year and the year before that. This year we didn't get it, has anyone heard it would be coming?
Otherwise perks and offers are of no interest, their travel service is not very good, hardly any airfare offers and all their concert tickets they offer are more or less pop & rock.....

Do the september new things affect Plat cards or only Gold?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by remymartin
I still find it pretty weird the double points has been Gold card specific and not a Plat benefit? Is that true?
Platinum earns 1.5 points / euro in all categories. Continues to do so.

Even more a co-branded card (HH, SPG, BA, whatnot)
+1 for SPG though I doubt. It is not available anywhere outside the US so not likely to launch in Finland. AY would be nice.

Originally Posted by sakari1707
Using MR points towards BA Avios has been great, with the 30% bonus last year and the year before that. This year we didn't get it, has anyone heard it would be coming?
Do the september new things affect Plat cards or only Gold?
This year there was a Finnair +30% promo, finally!
My guess is that they will roll some Platinum-style perks to Gold, but I don't have real information outside the letter. The letter states that there are no material changes for Platinum - only thing I see is the change in MR notice period.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Lappe
+1 for SPG though I doubt. It is not available anywhere outside the US so not likely to launch in Finland. AY would be nice.
I'm drifting off-topic, but SPG Amex is available also in at least Canada, the UK and Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.