Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair longhaul Y - what to expect?

Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:34 am
Original Poster

My first trip with Finnair, both shorthaul and longhaul are not far away.

I will be travelling with my fiancé in Y from OSL-HEL-BKK. OSL-HEL are operated by Embraer 170 and HEL-BKK with A330-300.

How is the Finnair onboard product in Y? Should I try to eat dinner in the lounge (OW Sapphire) before HEL-BKK or is the food onboard ok?

Looking forward to try Finnair
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Hmmm... your flying Y, so I assume it will be something like this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1360100977

Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Hopefully I'll pass out quickly after takeoff
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by jcnorway
My first trip with Finnair, both shorthaul and longhaul are not far away.

I will be travelling with my fiancé in Y from OSL-HEL-BKK. OSL-HEL are operated by Embraer 170 and HEL-BKK with A330-300.

How is the Finnair onboard product in Y? Should I try to eat dinner in the lounge (OW Sapphire) before HEL-BKK or is the food onboard ok?

Looking forward to try Finnair
If you fly to BKK try to get an Op-Up since AY is overbooking Y massive. I think the last 4 times I was one out of five or six paying C pax.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Don't think the chances for an Op-Up are very high...

I'm a poor BA Silver (OW Sapphire) on a cheapo Y-ticket. I guess there's a lot of people that will be Op-Up'ed before I'm even considered.

Almost full in C and Y on the outbound, but on the inbound there is still plenty of availibility in C while Y is packed.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
Here is my recent trip report on AY's long haul in economy.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/165635/

I will be flying HEL-BKK with my fiancé in June, so definitely let us know how it went.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:38 am
Original Poster

My return flight BKK-HEL is operated by A340 and I see on the seatmap that row 6 and 7 are counted as Economy, but these are businessclass seats according to SeatGuru.

On ExpertFlyer these seats are marked as blocked for the moment. I'm assigned 26AC. How can I get these seats? I guess it doesn't increase my chances that I'm a BA Executive Club Silver and not in the Finnair Plus program
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by yminev
Here is my recent trip report on AY's long haul in economy.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/165635/

I will be flying HEL-BKK with my fiancé in June, so definitely let us know how it went.
I'm flying JFK-HEL on AY 6 next month in coach/economy. Think it is worth $87 to sit in the exit row? Somehow, I doubt it.

Thanks for any info people can share.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:58 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by onfo
I'm flying JFK-HEL on AY 6 next month in coach/economy. Think it is worth $87 to sit in the exit row? Somehow, I doubt it.

Thanks for any info people can share.
I guess it depends how much you value leg room. I am 183cm (6'), and I find myself quite comfortable on Finnair's standard Y seats, even NRT-HEL (ten hours). Mind you, if the person in front of you tilts his/her seat all the way back, you will be cramped. JFK-HEL is night flight, so this is more likely to happen.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC, Finnair+, ClubOne Gold, Stockmann First
Finnair has the the highest seat pitch of any airline in Y. And it is one of the best rated seats, at least in terms of comfort, although I haven't tried it myself yet. You should be fine though, and please report back how it was
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by AY ay ay!
Finnair has the the highest seat pitch of any airline in Y.
That is simply not true.

Ay has 32" pitch in its LH fleet (unless we count the 757 as long haul, it has a generous pitch of 28"... ouch) which is pretty standard, even if the more generous end of standard. However, there are airlines with 33" or 34" in whY.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip
That is simply not true.

Ay has 32" pitch in its LH fleet (unless we count the 757 as long haul, it has a generous pitch of 28"... ouch) which is pretty standard, even if the more generous end of standard. However, there are airlines with 33" or 34" in whY.
Yes, sorry. It's the a319 that has a pitch of 37" in Y but that's SH, my bad... Although it is still very good from what I've heard.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by AY ay ay!
Yes, sorry. It's the a319 that has a pitch of 37" in Y but that's SH, my bad... Although it is still very good from what I've heard.
Err... have you flown the AY A319? The pitch is nowhere near 37" in any class. According to Seatguru it's 31". Now I didn't bring a tape measure, but from experience that sounds just about right. The seats are better padded that the new Recaros in the rest of the A320s, though.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip
Err... have you flown the AY A319? The pitch is nowhere near 37" in any class. According to Seatguru it's 31". Now I didn't bring a tape measure, but from experience that sounds just about right. The seats are better padded that the new Recaros in the rest of the A320s, though.
Have I ever? like a trillion gazillion times but to be fair, I don't know my inches... but that's what Wikipedia said so don't hate on me

"The largest seat pitch in any commercial airline's short-haul economy section is 37 inches (94 cm) in Finnair's Airbus A319s.[10] American Airlines' business class seats in their Boeing 767-200s are 62 inches (160 cm), the largest in any short-haul business class.[11] US Airways' first class flatbed seats in their Airbus A330-300s have a seat pitch of 94 inches (240 cm).[12]"
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:03 am

I'm not hating anyone, sorry if I gave that appearance. But I'm still not buying the 37" pitch. Perhaps they have it on an exit row something, but having been on the aircraft quite many times myself, I think I'd remember if it was through the plane, 37" (about 94cm) is about what you'd expect in US Domestic First. The source Wikipedia has for the data is Seatguru, which currently states 31", so the statement simply seems to be incorrect (although, I got to admit that does sound a little low to be throughout the plane, taking into account that Finnair does have less than average seats on its A319)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.