What happened to Murmansk?

Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
What happened to Murmansk?

Earlier in the spring AY announced a new summer connection to Murmansk. Since then, that leg has disappeared from the AY online bookings.

The Helsinki-Vantaa airport online schedule still lists:
HEL-MMK 357 2350 *0245 AY189 EMJ NONSTOP
MMK-HEL 146 0600 0650 AY 190 EMJ NONSTOP

starting on 1 July.

What happened? MMK is not well connected, it has a growing business community and it has potential to become even a more frequent destination (with daily flights and better schedule)... After all, AY started IEV with one flight a week, but operates that route today on a daily basis (some flights as codeshares).
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: AY LUMO
According to the following link:

http://barentsnova.com/node/1103

AY axed whole MMK route before it started.

Hmm.. no press release, nothing on their website or bookings...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
AY axed whole MMK route before it started.
Certainly not a good business strategy. It reminds me of AY's adventure to Kuala Lumpur, some five years ago. AY launched the route, but axed it before it ever started.

MMK would certainly become profitable with some marketing... both in Russia and in Europe.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:44 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Perhaps they are waiting for the final decision on the development of Shtokman gas field? If it goes forward, there will be a lot of demand for flights. The decision has been postponed MANY times, it should come in Q3/11. Well, that's the plan anyway
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Yet MMK was supposed to be a summer destination. Hardly any tourism industry up there...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22
Yet MMK was supposed to be a summer destination. Hardly any tourism industry up there...
I do believe there is quite a lot of salmon fishing going on around the Kola Peninsula. Similar tourist industry to those in Alaska and Canada at least in that aspect.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by mosburger
I do believe there is quite a lot of salmon fishing going on around the Kola Peninsula. Similar tourist industry to those in Alaska and Canada at least in that aspect.
Yeah, lots of rods in luggage on the MMK route. Mostly pax from Britain on that route IIRC. The flights have been quite full in previous years so no idea what's up this year.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
I do believe there is quite a lot of salmon fishing going on around the Kola Peninsula.
I just checked, out of curiosity, that return flights from major European hubs to MMK start from 500 in Y and 1.500 in J. Since these involve travelling via LED or SVO, which are not exactly among the most excellent transfer hubs, there would certainly be a market for AY via HEL.

A classical case of a good business opportunity lost because of bad or insufficient marketing?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Chartered flights are still running to MMK.

Saturday 25.6. AY7601/7602 HEL-MMK-HEL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.