Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Entree Gold upgrade

The possibility exists (read the thread!) to upgrade to the Gold floor, but don't count on it! New Year's is a very busy time at the Banff Springs, and I don't recommend taking the chance!

Instead, use your upgrade coupon to ask for a suite on the Gold Floor - which you can request on check in (you can also request it in advance, but it remains a request only until check in!)

I was able to use my Free Weekend Night cert on the Gold floor on check in. Again, this is not a right, so I booked the 3 nights at the Entree Gold rate, asked nicely, and it was approved! Enjoy!!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Been awhile, but we are looking forward to our 7 day stay 1st of January. I guess they'll have their famous dinner buffets until January 5th.

This hotel is still one of my very favorite Fairmonts. Looking forward to the downtime.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Been awhile, but we are looking forward to our 7 day stay 1st of January. I guess they'll have their famous dinner buffets until January 5th.

This hotel is still one of my very favorite Fairmonts. Looking forward to the downtime.
Enjoy the Springs AM! If you end up getting one of our favourite rooms you will be happy to know they were fully renovated at the beginning of the summer. What may surprise you even more is the new reno is contemporary and modern lodge style, more what you would expect at the Pacific Rim compared to the BSH.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: FPC Platinum
Are all the rooms on the gold floor newly renovated? Im there for 5 nights next week for a snowbaord/spa trip. Cant wait!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokinos
Enjoy the Springs AM! If you end up getting one of our favourite rooms you will be happy to know they were fully renovated at the beginning of the summer. What may surprise you even more is the new reno is contemporary and modern lodge style, more what you would expect at the Pacific Rim compared to the BSH.
Just glad to be finally back at the castle, as all of our stays are comfortable. I'm excited for the family.. a time of relaxation and new year reflection.

Originally Posted by Sassicaia1
Are all the rooms on the gold floor newly renovated? Im there for 5 nights next week for a snowbaord/spa trip. Cant wait!
The Gold Floor was completely renovated at inception. I believe this was a few years back.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Had another great stay this weekend at the Springs. Had my preferred One Bedroom suite that has to be about 1000 sq feet (the X11/X13 combination).
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Having stayed at 15+ Fairmonts, the Springs is still our favorite. I think Orchid, Kea Lani, Mayakoba, Pacific Rim follows closely behind.

We checked in yesterday and New Year's day was a zoo. 100% occupancy. We were pleasantly surprised with 2 amenities delivered to the room. A Christmas tree decorated was set up as a surprise upon our arrival.

What is also making this stay a bit different was since the last stay at the Springs I've started swimming. I can't swim long freestyle, so I back stroke. So last couple of days I swam 40 lengths in the 32 M pool. I can't remember another Fairmont that has such a nice swimming pool.

Our friends from California joined us for the dinner buffet at the BVG. So we had a nice New Year's visit. Last time we saw them was over New Years at Disney World. We retreated to the nice appointed suite at the conclusion of the evening before they continued on their journey at the end of the night. The Supper Buffet was excellent and running only until the evening of January 5th. $45 pp, children ages 6 to 12 is half price, and 5 and under is free. The server was gracious to refill the soft drinks. Crab claws, lobster gnocchi and lobster macaroni graced the selections. A few selections of sorbet, and chocolate covered strawberries finished off the fantastic meal.. This all in addition to 100+ selections for both supper and dessert. Highly recommended the supper buffet at the Bow Valley Grill if anyone gets a chance. If taking advantage of the Canadian Costco deal, you can use the 10% off coupon towards food and beverage here.

In the spa today the hot waterfall was shut down for some maintenance. I have a feeling that the cold waterfall may become the victim if one waterfall remains closed. But the hot waterfall was filled so hopefully the maintenance is temporary.

Fairmont Fit is no longer Adidas, but now Reebok. This was the case at the Pacific Rim over Remembrance Day long weekend as well.

Good to be back at the Springs.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Jan 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:56 pm

The Banff Springs refers to itself as the “Castle in the Rockies” and there is no doubt the building justifies the name but is the rest of the experience fit for a king and queen?

I’ve stayed at the Banff Springs now over a dozen times on separate occasions so obviously they must be doing something right to earn my business for this long. My stays have been split up rather evenly between visiting during the peak season in the summer and staying here during the winter ski season.

The hotel is grand and by that I mean it holds a lot under one roof when it comes to choice. They have 27 holes of golf, 12 restaurants and lounges, Willow Stream Spa, pools, bowling alley, small shopping mall including a wine boutique, convenience store and liquor stores. Seasonally they also offer different activities right on the resort grounds such as curling and skating in the winter and horseback riding and tennis in the summer

The town of Banff and surrounding area offer plenty of outdoor adventure activities. In the winter Sunshine Village ski area is a 15 minute drive and Lake Louise ski area is 30 minutes from the hotel. If you rarely make it out to this neck of the woods I highly suggest you make the trek to Lake Louise for skiing and check out the actual lake at the Chateau Lake Louise sister property and enjoy some après at the Post Hotel pub which cooks up excellent food in a casual setting. During the summer visiting Lake Louise is a must and I will post my report on the Chateau Lake Louise soon.

Throughout this report I will try to include as many “Tips” as possible to ensure your experience at this hotel lives up to its reputation. With nearly 800 hotel rooms and 1,100 staff members not everyone gets the same experience at the end of the day from what I’ve seen and heard.

For all the pictures and the rest of the report I've attached a link here:

http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.co...a-trip-report/
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Kokinos:

LOVE the trip report, very helpful for my trip there! I will share this with my readers^
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:31 pm

I really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for sharing! ^ That is one hotel I have heard about on travel shows and want to visit. If you go to Banff during the warmer months, is it good for a weekend getaway or should you plan on spending a lot more time there? I have never been there before, but it looks amazing.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Kokinos:

LOVE the trip report, very helpful for my trip there! I will share this with my readers^
Awesome! Thank you very much for the feedback and the plug on your space of the intraweb! Good luck with the new venture GPAPADOP
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Puppenstein
I really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for sharing! ^ That is one hotel I have heard about on travel shows and want to visit. If you go to Banff during the warmer months, is it good for a weekend getaway or should you plan on spending a lot more time there? I have never been there before, but it looks amazing.
Great to hear you enjoyed my report. It's tough to say how long you should stay in Banff during the summer since I don't know what you enjoy keeping yourself busy with?

If you are coming from far I suggest you also look into Lake Louise and Jasper to split up your stay and get a change of scenery. Another option is to enjoy Banff, Lake Louise and then make your way to Vancouver by rental car, rv, or train if you haven't been there yet.

But keep in mind I've met tourists from the USA who were sad to head back home after their week at the Banff Springs hotel so it really does depend what you are looking for in your vacation at the end of the day. Happy travels Puppenstein!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Kokinos>>>>>>>>then make your way to Vancouver by rental car, rv, or train if you haven't been there yet.

Been thinking of doing exactly that in the summer after 7 nights in Banff/LL. Any suggestions on where to stay for a night along the way? Or any MUST sees/dos?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Kokinos>>>>>>>>then make your way to Vancouver by rental car, rv, or train if you haven't been there yet.

Been thinking of doing exactly that in the summer after 7 nights in Banff/LL. Any suggestions on where to stay for a night along the way? Or any MUST sees/dos?
Depends on the person but here are a few suggestions, I've made the drive about 20 times bw Calgary and Vancouver.

Sparkling hills resort is only a few years old and is a Swarovski backed place. Excellent spa and Predator Ridge Golf courses just below if that tickles you.

If that's too fancy for you look into getting a hotel or condo on Mara Lake. Here you can experience a Canadian beach! Rent a motor boat, do some sports or if you really want an adventure rent a houseboat for 2-3 days on lake shuswap.

If you fancy wine look into the Okanagan. They have a few nice hotel options from Kelowna to Osoyoos and nearly a hundred wineries in that stretch, maybe more, I've only been to about 25 so far and I don't even drink the stuff but it keeps her happy. Lots of golf, beaches and water activities available in this corridor too. This option does add about 1.5 hours to the journey from LL to Van though.

If you don't mind a long initial drive I would also look into going from LL to Whistler but the back way through Cache Creek, Lilloulet and Pemberton. Whistler has some good deals for accommodations including virtuoso and four seasons preferred during the time you're there.

Take your time on the drive from Whistler to Vancouver, make sure to make a few stops after passing squamish.

If you end up driving through Merritt, SLOW down, this is a speed trap city, even at 1:30am as I found out.

Peyto Lake, I'm sure you'll do this while you're at LL though.

Let me know if you have any questions
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:33 pm

kokinos:

You gave me lots to think about, thank you very much! Last night I booked the flights to Calgary & one night at an airport hotel. Due to some family changes I am not sure now if we can do the Vancouver side trip...#developing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.