Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
The Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver

I just read two bad reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor for recent stays. We were considering two Gold level rooms or waterfront suites for an August visit but one review said they are building an Olympic media center nearby so there is quite a bit of noise from pilings and they are handing out earplugs! There was also mention of a rude concierge on the floor and non-smoking rooms that reek of smoke. Has anyone here had similar experiences? Now I'm thinking we should go for the Pan Pacific although maybe they are having the same noise problems. Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jac747
I just read two bad reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor for recent stays. We were considering two Gold level rooms or waterfront suites for an August visit but one review said they are building an Olympic media center nearby so there is quite a bit of noise from pilings and they are handing out earplugs! There was also mention of a rude concierge on the floor and non-smoking rooms that reek of smoke. Has anyone here had similar experiences? Now I'm thinking we should go for the Pan Pacific although maybe they are having the same noise problems. Thanks.
I just came home from the Waterfront today and had a spectacular weekend. The construction is well away from the hotel so it did not bother me. As for the rooms and service it was fantastic as always. I stayed on the Gold floor. If you are concerned about the construction the Pan Pacific would be impacted much more than the Waterfront. Try the Hotel Vancouver instead. They also have a great Gold Floor.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Was there last weekend in a Waterfront Suite...no noise whatsoever...great stay...found waterfront deluxe rooms to be too small for my taste...so moved up to the waterfront suite which was quite spacious
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
I'm wondering if there is less or no noise on the weekends because when I called the hotel, they said it was an issue for some guests and we will be there mid-week. How are the breakfasts on the Gold floor also? Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jac747
I'm wondering if there is less or no noise on the weekends because when I called the hotel, they said it was an issue for some guests and we will be there mid-week. How are the breakfasts on the Gold floor also? Thanks.
The breakfasts this last weekend were the best I've ever had at a Fairmont Gold floor. Besides the usual fresh fruit, cereals, toast & begals, they served hot food. One morning it was scrambled eggs with melted cheddar, tomato and onion, the other morning it was eggs with bacon and ham. In the evening they served fairly good sushi one night as well as the usual evening tapas. It was so good we even cancelled our dinner out at Gotham Steak House (which is my favorite Vancouver restaurant).
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I found the breakfast to be just okay for a Gold Floor. The cold selections were not as extensive as elsewhere on Gold Floors and I think the hot choice was mini quiches, which quite frankly are a waste of calories. Of course this was one day, another may be better.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:56 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Fairmont Vancouver Waterfront

Stayed there over the US 4th July and the Canadian Canada Day (1 July).

Used Suite Upgrade (confirmed) and was given a Terrace suite on the 3rd Floor facing Canada Place and the waterfront. Technically this is the rooftop garden area above the restaurant and connects to the fabulous pool. Each suite has double doors leading to a small patio with teak chairs and small table. The larger 'full suites' also had a dining table with four chairs. Tho kind of wierd setup, the doors lead from the living room .. to a 'room wall sized' patio. Then the bedroom area did not have a patio door (again another room size terrace outside) had its own walled off patio (low shrub filled wall) and on the larger suites the dining table. Mine wasted the space in front of the bedroom with nothing! They do need a more fanatical gardener to manage this area .. there was a lot of cleanup needed .. but with rain every other day would be hard to keep perfect.

The hotel is fabulous. Tho it is newish and modern (compared to many former CP hotels). I found NO fault with the wonderful staff .. or facilities.. nor the resident dog (who lives by the front door).

The only issue I had was something the hotel could not adjust .. construction kitty corner to the hotel of the new Vancouver Convention Center. While I was there was mainly holiday and weekend, I was told the builders would be driving pilings into the harbour for another six months. NO hotel in the area will be quiet during the weekday construction hours. Least of all my wonderful terrace suite!

Am off to Boston and Calgary Fairmonts in the next weekends . and the Savoy mid-August.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Fairmont Vancouver Waterfront

Ny husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Fairmont Vancouver Waterfront. The hotel is in a great location and many rooms have water views. We had reserved a cityview room on the 9th floor Concierge/Gold level, but were upgraded to a harborview room (my husband is a Premier President's Club member).

The room itself was about 400 square feet, with a king sized bed, work desk, comfortable chair and ottoman, tv armoire, bar, and a fairly small but nice bath with tub and a make up mirror. There was a large picture window with a great view of the ferry boat landing and harbor. Cds were available for the clock/cd player.

The Gold Lounge was an excellent benefit, with a free extensive breakfast each morning, offering cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, pastries, breads, cheeses, meats, and a hot entree, as well as beverages. In the evening, cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres were available, as well as an extensive honor bar (although the majority of people using the lounge did not appear to have any intention of paying for these drinks). The lounge had an outside seating area, with a view of Stanley Park and the Harbor, which was unused during our visit due to the constant rain. There was also a selection of newspapers available in the lounge daily and two newspapers were delivered to our room each morning.

The hotel has a fitness room, which we did not use. There are only a few pieces of equipment and they are rather old. There is a small outdoor pool as well.

All of the staff were very helpful and pleasant. There was a very rude man making multiple loud phone calls in the Gold Lounge (despite several signs asking not to use cell phones there) and when I complained to the Concierge, she quickly asked him to stop.

The only complaint I have about this hotel is due to the ongoing construction to enlarge the Convention Center across the street and in preparation for the 2010 Olympics. The pile drivers start banging away early in the morning and don't stop until about 6 pm. There can be 3-4 going on at once and they make a teriffic amount of noise which you can clearly hear in your room. If you plan on spending any time in your room or sleeping in, you really should consider staying in a hotel away from the waterfront for the next few years.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE
First time I stayed at Vancouver's Fairmont Hotel (Waterfront) and have to say I'm extreamly disappointed!

Worn out and certaintly not worth the money ($259.00) for a room.

this is, at best, a three (3) star property.

FAIRMONT, where are you? Put some money into this facility!
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
First time I stayed at Vancouver's Fairmont Hotel (Waterfront) and have to say I'm extreamly disappointed!
Do you still have to put up with the pile driving construction noise all day long?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by negotiator

Worn out and certaintly not worth the money ($259.00) for a room.

this is, at best, a three (3) star property.

FAIRMONT, where are you? Put some money into this facility!

Well you're right there are still many unrenovated rooms that need work, I have stayed here at least 5 times since Christmas and there are some sweet rooms as well. The 22nd floor is renovated and I do like them waaay better than the old school, tiny Hotel Vancouver rooms. There are a couple dense staff that work the FD but overall their FD Mgt and FPC check-in person go above and beyond the call of duty. ^
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
My little trick at the Waterfront... request the hypoallergenic floor, as I think that it has been renovated..... I know they said it had some extra cleaning to get rid of any smokey smells, etc.

Can't remember what the floor number was though, stayed for my Xmas party and had a few too many drinks
Old May 4, 2007, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Waterfront YVR / PC Status

Good morning all !

First time after 2 years I have the opportunity again to stay in a Fairmont after corporate travel changes and great rates this summer for leisure travel.

I remember that the Waterfront had a Labrador dog which the guests could take out for a walk from time to time? Is he still there?

Since I lost my PC status in these 2 years, how would you consider that Fairmont matches SPG cards? I dont expect much advantages as a base member and would like to try it that way. Never had a hotel status match before.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend ! :-:
Old May 10, 2007, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I remember that the Waterfront had a Labrador dog which the guests could take out for a walk from time to time? Is he still there?

Since I lost my PC status in these 2 years, how would you consider that Fairmont matches SPG cards? I dont expect much advantages as a base member and would like to try it that way. Never had a hotel status match before.
I think they still have the dog... they did at my Christmas party in 2005 when I came down to the lobby recovering from a very bad hangover

As for status, not sure why you would want to do the match? Fairmont only gives you one room upgrade and one suite upgrade coupon and $50 dining for Premier level.... you get most of the benefits with just being a PC member anyway.
Old May 24, 2009, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Just returned from a recent stay at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver and must say it's one of the nicest Fairmont's I've been in yet. While not a classic or historic type of property, this hotel delivers a modern luxury feel in what is a hectic location across a small street from Canada Place convention centre and cruise terminal.

What makes this hotel unique is every room has a view because of its triangular shape; city view in the standard Fairmont rooms looks upon the Vancouver skyline while other room such as the one I was in feature both a city & harbour view. Somehow I lucked into a corner room, rooms ending in 16 or 24, so had floor to ceiling windows both in the room & the bathroom plus the special feature to me was you could soak in the view while soaking in your tub. The evening view over the floatplane terminal, the new convention centre only recently opened, Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge was a truly memorable view and was a great way to relax.

Didn't try the heated outdoor pool but all in all for a quick night pre-cruise I would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful hotel. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.