Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:27 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

PacRim just brought on a new chef as well, (previously with glowbal.com) a local Vancouver "luxury restaurant chain". Hopefully Waterfront does just as well with their new chef as Oru has.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Stayed one night at the Waterfront. Booked via FHR, rate $207/night (about $20 less than BAR).

Used a room upgrade to get a Signature Room with an ocean view. I would rate the room as ok, in terms of upkeep its very good. Nothing looks overly warn or anything, but the decor just feels uninspiring and kind of dated. Certainly no cool factor. Room size was fine.

Didn't receive my plat welcome amenity, told the maid during turn down service and she said she would have one sent up. Never arrived, in the morning there was a card under the door apologizing and offering to send me one the day I checked out. Nice offer but I had a 9:30AM flight...

I tried to use the Fairmont bikes, but apparently they only have 4 (!) available. I managed to get one for 1 hour 15 minutes, as someone had all of them booked later in the day. Why even bother offering bikes if it's going to be half assed? I'd rather not have to book my bike ride before my stay as depending on weather and what else I want to see I'd rather not be locked in.

I had a $100 F&B to spend via FHR, the food at Heron's was excellent. I had a seafood chowder + a seafood hotpot and I'm surprised there's any fish left in the sea. Very generous portions of seafood, and very well done. Dining with a friend came to $120+tip so had no problem burning a $100 credit. The breakfast in the morning was very good as well, the buffet was included as part of FHR.

If they had a similar FHR rate in the future I'd jump on it. I mainly chose it because of the reasonable rate and the fact they provide a F&B credit instead of a spa credit. It's really only a so-so property over all though.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Planning do a stay in Vancouver at a Fairmont using the two free nights and a suite upgrade from the Visa card promo.

Should we do it at the Waterfront or Hotel Vancouver?

From past experience, ms. jmd001 seems to think the Waterfront is better. Opinions???

Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
Planning do a stay in Vancouver at a Fairmont using the two free nights and a suite upgrade from the Visa card promo.

From past experience, ms. jmd001 seems to think the Waterfront is better. Opinions???

Thanks.
If you can use your "Gold" Upgrade Certificates, then Waterfront is a better bet as they just this week opened a refreshed Gold Floor.

See here for more about Renovations.
http://www.fairmont.com/waterfront-v...fairmont-gold/

Pacific Rim is still the showboat / glitzy spot, but both are equal in location (As they are next to each other)
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:40 pm

Duplicate

Last edited by AMRivlin; Apr 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
If you can use your "Gold" Upgrade Certificates, then Waterfront is a better bet ...
Regrettably, these free-night certs from Visa cannot be used in any way, shape or form toward Gold rooms. At least, that's what the T&Cs say

Stay certificates may not be redeemed for, or used as credit towards, Fairmont Gold Rooms or Suites.
But I can use a Suite Upgrade cert with the free-night certs (for a non-Gold suite).

So my sense is that I should go for the Pacific Rim rather than the Waterfront, right?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
But I can use a Suite Upgrade cert with the free-night certs (for a non-Gold suite).

So my sense is that I should go for the Pacific Rim rather than the Waterfront, right?
Yes, the Pacific Rim is definitely the nicest Fairmont property in Vancouver Also, you´ll get a better suite at the Pacific Rim. At the Waterfront you´ll most likely get the lowest suite category which is more like a junior suite IMO while at the Pacific Rim you´ll get a real one-bedroom suite (though usually without much of a view).
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL

My choices would be:

1) Pacific Rim (four-day staycation last year, super-modern)
2) Waterfront (stayed there wedding night, beautiful views of water in a.m.)
3) Hotel Van (old-school classic hotel, stayed night before wedding)

Can't comment on Fairmont YVR as I have yet to stay there.

TOA13B
Old May 26, 2013, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jun 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently had the opportunity to stay on the newly renovated Gold floor, so here is a summary of my stay:

1) room

I was booked into a "Deluxe Harbour View Room" and I must say I very much like the way they re-docorated the rooms. Very high-end furniture, elegant colour scheme, large flat-screen TV and a desk with all the power outlets and cables you could need.

The view of the harbour from my room was somewhat obstructed by two neighbouring buildings and the convention center, but still nice.

Unfortunately there´s one thing they haven´t fixed (which I´ve encountered in other rooms at the Waterfront as well) is the lack of soundproofing. I could hear conversation in the hallway, the vacuum cleaner being used in the hallway and even the elevator "beep". It would have been nice if they had replaced the doors as well.

2) bathrooms

The bathrooms have been very nicely und luxuriously re-decorated with nice marble (greyish and earth-colour). The mirror now also has a TV. I believe that all the rooms have either a walk-in shower or a bathtub (with shower), but not both due to the limited size of the bathrooms, but they did the best job possible IMO.

3) service

Service was very good as usual, though I tend to find the service at the Pacific Rim to be a notch better, but really no complaints.

4) Gold lounge

The lounge is very nicely furnished and decorated, though I honestly am unable to say for sure which aspects have changed compared to last year.

IMO one of the best features is the massive outside patio on the 9th floor with nice views of Coal Harbour. The patio is at least the same size as the lounge itself and easily seats 40 people.

Similar to most Gold lounges, breakfast offering was more limited than the breakfast buffet in the restaurant, but very good quality. Hot items were eggs benedict, sausages and bacon along with the usual continental spread.

Afternoon tea (served from 2p.m. - 5p.m.) was very good with freshly baked scones etc.

Evening canapes (served from 5p.m. - 7p.m. sharp) were good as well: Nice selection of cold antipasti (cured meats, cheese board, grilled vegetables, salmon rools and a few other items). No hot option except for some grilled pieces of pork, but maybe I just arrived too late.

What slightly irritated me were several guests arriving for canapes in bathrobes which was a first to experience at a Fairmont. Also slightly surprised the staff didn´t seem to care, though maybe I´m just too conservative.

5) Conclusion:

Overall I had a pleasant stay. With the possible exception of the somewhat smaller bathrooms the rooms on the Gold floor are as nice as the ones at the Pacific Rim.

The Pacific Rim is still my first choice, but when the Pacific Rim is booked out or substantially more expensive, the Waterfront is a good alternative.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:09 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I recently had the opportunity to stay on the newly renovated Gold floor, so here is a summary of my stay:
You forgot the best part..... you got the room as a great upgrade

Here is a youtube the hotel posted of the new room product. Certainly attractive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_Vm...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
You forgot the best part..... you got the room as a great upgrade
Yes, my apologies - a kind Virtuoso travel agent was able to confirm that upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Have an upcoming stay at this property booked into a "Terrace King" room. Was hoping someone can clarify the makeup of the Gold floor(s)... are all rooms on the Gold floor classified as "Deluxe" rooms?

Am trying to figure out whether an upgrade to a Gold floor room is worth it, and the renovated Deluxe rooms look quite attractive.

Originally Posted by ABG
Here is a youtube the hotel posted of the new room product. Certainly attractive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_Vm...ature=youtu.be
Was intrigued to see what a hotel could show off using video. Unfortunately, this video isn't really a video, it's just a video slideshow of the same still photographs available on the website.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:20 pm

Had a quick one night stay here earlier this week and in addition to the renovated rooms (which are now almost as nice as the Pacific Rim), they have also completely redone the bar/restaurant since I was last there in December. Much more open and modern, and the bar itself is much larger with seats on both sides, and only local craft beer on tap ^.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:57 pm

Lucky (Ben@ One mile at a time) just posted his first Fairmont review. I've been reading his posts for probably as long as I've been a member here so a great read.

He touches on Fairmont and their hotel placement compared to the competition and compares the Waterfront to a nice Westin or Hyatt. I have to agree but he is booked into PacRim on his next visit so I hope he enjoys a more luxurious next Fairmont stay.

I just hope he doesn't have to endure a lengthy wait at the front desk at pacrim since that seems to be the biggest gripe.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ont-vancouver/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.