Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
Which would you prefer?We are booked into the garden view suite.( all I could get on the upgrade cert )
The OV riew is, obviously, better than the Garden view. The difference per night was ~ $75 US / night and if you're staying there more than a couple of nights, it's not woth it IMO. Be sure to get a non-smoking room if you're a non-smoker. Wait until you enter the room! It's great - you'll have a good sized living room, big balcony, big bedroom through french doors, two bathrooms... !! $1,100 sq feet is the size of a small garden home! Enjoy.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
The OV riew is, obviously, better than the Garden view. The difference per night was ~ $75 US / night and if you're staying there more than a couple of nights, it's not woth it IMO. Be sure to get a non-smoking room if you're a non-smoker. Wait until you enter the room! It's great - you'll have a good sized living room, big balcony, big bedroom through french doors, two bathrooms... !! $1,100 sq feet is the size of a small garden home! Enjoy.
Thanks.Mrs.acysb87 was hoping for the OV.Now I have some info that will justify the Garden view.Appreciate the heads up.
We are there for 5 nights.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:12 pm

Fairmont Orchid Comments

I recently returned from a 5 night stay at this property and while the Orchid is a fine hotel I want to mention a couple of things I would like to have known before booking the trip.
1. The hotel was full or nearly so on only one night of our stay. However at breakfast each morning we had to wait 5-10 minutes to be seated on 4 of the 5 days we were there. Considering that there is only one place on property for a sit-down breakfast I consider that unacceptable for a Hawaiian resort. I don't mind waiting once in a while, but at those prices I don't expect to have to wait every day.
2. The "coffee shop" (not sure of the name, but I refer to the place that used to be the "casual" option for dinner) has been converted to a sushi place in the evenings, meaning that there no longer is a reasonably priced (by Hawaii standards) dinner option on property. This may be an issue if you have kids.
We enjoyed our stay but wanted to give others a heads-up about these small "surprises."
Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will look for these "surprises" when I get there in October
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
If you stay on the Gold floor your breakfasts are included as well as tapas in the evenings. I find that I actually save quite a bit while I am on this floor because I only eat out once a day.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:01 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by CO FF
I'd love a W/Renaissance/Park Hyatt quality property over by the Volcanos -- that would be great...
If you didn't like the Orchid, you definitely won't like your choices over by the volcanos.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:25 pm

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
My wife and I really enjoyed staying at the Orchid. Great suites, friendly staff (Louis Zanni is a godsend when it comes to getting you set up for golf) and excellent food.

But, expect to pay dearly in the restaurants, and for perks (like cabanas on the beach). Also, the convention business there seems to be a popular thing, so it might not be very "romantic" with 400 people from a convention running around the resort!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm, Fairmont Plt. Starwood Plt
Fairmont Orchid 5* to 2* now

I have stayed at the Orchid 2-4 times a year since its opening as a Ritz-Carlton in 1990. After the Ritz it was a *wood Luxury Collection until Fairmont took over. The hotel is going downhill quickly. The once beautiful man-made waterfalls now have pond scum floating on the top of the water. The beautiful koi are dead and gone. The smell is terrible, and the waterfalls have been in this condition from atleast 10/05 to last month. The scum covers the entire bottom of the falls. I would hate to have a room anywhere near any of the falls because of the smell. I enjoy watching the sunset and sleeping with the lanai door open to hear the sound of the ocean. Now anyone near there has to keep the doors closed and watch the sunset from another location. The lights along the pathways did not work and some places are very dark and dangerous. The breakfast buffet has become worse during my last visits.

Since I am a Platinum and a many year return guest, I was always treated nicely in the past and was always assigned a very nice room/suite. Fairmont changed the management team and brought in Canadian business hotel mgt. Resorts and busines properties are different. All the new group cares about are groups and conventions. On my 5/06 visit, I was assigned one of the worst suites there-nice dumpster view. I was told that suite was the only one available but I already knew the availablity from some employees that I had make friends with over the years. I was not being told the truth. I knew the hotel occupancy was appx. 50% and suite occupancy was about the same. I told the front desk mgr. the suite was the worst that I have seen and my res was for an o/v suite and I wanted to cancel my res, get a deposit refund and I was calling the Four Seasons on my cell to check their availability when the manager "miraculously" found my suite. The Platinum amenity was a bowl containing moldy fruit and some other unrecognizable items. I took this mess to the valet parkers to see if they wanted any of it for their pets. They took one look at it and declined. I canceled my second week and moved to the Four Seasons and everything was outstanding. It was the opposite of the Fairmont. The manager greeted up personally and made sure we had the best suite available. Four Seasons hotels are happy the have loyal returning guests. They understand business people and frequent travelers come to relax and unwind instead of fighting with the hotel mgt.

After our benefit reductions and this type of treatment for a faithful repeat guest-I will keep my SPG Plat and leave the Fairnont forever.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
That is really too bad.

I have not been to the Orchid for almost two years but I have always considered it one of my favorite beach resorts. The new owners are making a huge mistake cutting back on repairs and maintaince.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:26 am
diazhill

Left after one night.. would never return

We stayed at the Fairmont Orchid two years ago, and checked out after the first night.

Despite having a printed confirmation in hand, the hotel reneged on our confirmed Fairmont President's Club upgrade to the Gold Floor - front desk made up some excuse about computer problems.

When I spoke with their reservations centre in Canada, I was told the truth - the hotel itself changed our reservation. We got bumped because of a large convention.

Was promised dining certificates as compensation - but they never materialized.

The manager on duty in the Gold Floor lounge was patronizing and condescending.. "But sir... If we honor your upgrade, we'll have to inconvenience another guest that is paying to be on the Gold Floor".

Considering what Fairmont has done to their frequent guest program, I doubt they have any loyal customers left!

Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was at this property in October 2005.I experienced none of the problems the OP had recently.
I really enjoyed the restaurants,service and room provided..

Seems like things are changing very quickly.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:33 pm

Sorry to hear of the OP's problems. We were at the property the end of June 2006 and had none of these problems. Sounds like there is a consistency problem since we didn't have these concerns.

We received a complementary upgrade, the President's Club fruit in the room was fresh, we did not see any walkway lights out, and the staff who had access to our names made sure to refer to us as Mr. or Mrs. ___ while the rest of the staff were polite and friendly.

Our complaint was with the behavior of other guests.

There was 1 night when someone allowed their child to slam their room door, run to another room 3 doors down, open and slam it, then in 4 or 5 minutes repeat the process the other way. That continued for an hour.

Another evening we had 2 teenagers standing on the ground while the parents were on the third or fourth floor room balcony spending 5 minutes in a conversation before they realized it would be easier if one went down or the other up to the room.

Ahhh, the pleasures of travel during school breaks.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:39 am

Fairmont Orchid - Kea Lani

We just returned from a 5 night stay and 6 night stay respectively at both properties. The Orchid staff and grounds were immaculate. Everyone was personable and seemed to care if we were enjoying our stay. The grounds were kept up as was the inside of the hotel. It was beautiful.
The Kea Lani in Wailea was nice but not nearly as cared for as the Orchid. The inside of the hotel, where the guest rooms were, was not as cared for as the Orchid. The staff was okay but did not take a personal interest in us as the Orchid did, although the Concierge staff was excellent.
The suites at the Kea Lani were great, though, for a family, and housekeeping came pretty much when we hoped. The turn down service was always on time at night to make up the extra beds for the kids.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:04 pm

Was at the Orchid last month. Had a standard king room garden view. Still very big by Hawaii hotel standards. I was staying at an ultra-low TA rate, so I can't complain. Upkeep of the hotel is great. About 1/5 of the hotel was blocked off for renovations.

According to the staff the Orchid was originally a Four Seasons property from the early 90's. Then went SPG, finally bought by Fairmont. It's been renovated at least twice since it was built. I think that's why it looks in really good shape despite being older that other properties near by.

At any rate, I applaud Fairmont for renovating rooms while wear and tear is still quite mild. Also for keeping pools and whirlpools open 24/7. It's nice to go down while kids aren't around.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
According to the staff the Orchid was originally a Four Seasons property from the early 90's. Then went SPG, finally bought by Fairmont.
I love it there too. It was originally developed as a Ritz Carlton (I was there its first year), sold to a private investment firm who contracted with SPG for management and then sold to Fairmont a couple of years ago.

You can still see the Ritz roots laying around like Sugar Holder's that have the Ritz lion on them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.