Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:29 pm

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Anyone been to the Orchid lately? This will be my first trip back to the property since Fairmont has taken over and was wondering if anyone had recommendations, comments, etc.

Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
It's over a year old, but Jailer wrote a very entertaining trip report about his stay there just after Fairmont took over. You can find it here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...referrerid=225
Old Oct 2, 2004, 12:32 am

I was just there a few weeks ago, first time to the property. Um, wow. Where to start: Basically, heaven on earth. Four hours after I arrived in Kona I had already snorkeled with sea turtles and watched the sunset from a lava rock jacuzzi that sits just off the pool. Hard to top. I spent much of the rest of the trip trying to decide whether this or the Banff Springs were the most perfect hotel I've ever been too.

I should say -- I didn't eat in any of the restaurants. I'm not a foodie, so I was fine with the club floor buffet, the on-property deli and in-town food as I traveled around the island. The location of Brown's is very cool -- but you can also sit in basically the same place w/o eating there, so go only if you're into good food.

I'm more of a beach girl, and I loved the Fairmont's. It sounds like you've been there before, so I won't go into the description. The hotel room itself was wonderfully lush and I loved that they gave us full-size toiletries (that might just be the club floor, though.) Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

The lushness extended around the property -- but so did a nice island informality. Everyone was very tidy, but I didn't feel like I had to deck out in full "resortwear" everytime I left my room -- nice change from the Four Seasons. Service was also a nice mix of a lush hotel and island informality. One woman I spoke with said she came to work there because her father did as well -- I thought that said a lot about how well the hotel treats its staff. (The woman who drove the shuttle from Blue Hawaiian also commented, unprompted, that the Fairmont staff seemed the happiest of the hotels in the area.)

There was construction visible on the way to the hotel, but I forgot about it after that -- not visible or hearable from the property itself. People have also griped about the views and I think that's probably fair -- really only the top floors or the north side of North tower have "partial ocean views" that deserve the name. On the other hand, the south side of North tower you get to fall asleep to the sound of waterfalls, which is awesome, and the South Tower is about 4 feet from the beach.

Things are much closer together than they look from the maps I had seen. I was staying in the North Tower and was concerned I might be too far from the beach, but no problems at all (I'm somewhat mobility impaired, though not in the water.) At the same time, however, the design of the property is so well done that you never feel like you're surrounded by people. I assumed the occupancy was low -- but it turned out it was almost full.

My only disappointment, and it was very very minor, is that the spa has kind of cramped pre-treatment facilities. I mean, the massage on the beach was great, and the waterfall huts looked cool, too, but there's a very limited number of treatments you can get in them and otherwise you're in the very small main building. And things like facials and pedicures are relegated to a small "salon" that could be in any shopping mall. I was told there were plans to turn it into a Willow Stream, which would be awesome, but they were shelved over the summer.

But anyway, awesome property. You'll have a great time. Happy to answer any specific questions.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by TeaAddict
I was just there a few weeks ago, first time to the property. Um, wow. Where to start: Basically, heaven on earth. Four hours after I arrived in Kona I had already snorkeled with sea turtles and watched the sunset from a lava rock jacuzzi that sits just off the pool. Hard to top. I spent much of the rest of the trip trying to decide whether this or the Banff Springs were the most perfect hotel I've ever been too.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like things have only gotten better. We do love the protected beach and the beachside jacuzzi. Our last visist to the Orchid was in September 2002. Will be checking in a week from today.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:20 pm

Just returned from one week at the Orchid.

My wife and I love this property. It is one of our favorite places in the world but below are some honest comments about our recent experience.

Property seems to be in better condition than it was two years ago while still under Starwood management. I feel that the attitude/quality of the staff has deteriorated a little bit although overall it is still excellent. Not to sound snobbish, but the clientele also seemed a bit more like a typical Hawaiin resort than what I remembered. (ie. Families bringing in pizzas from off property and sitting by the pool eating their "take out". Guests being sloppily dressed and leaving bunches of dirty and wet towels around the pool and beach areas. Guests leving cups and glasses strewn about the pool. Loud & unsupervised children. etc.) Maybe this is because the hotel was at 90%+ occupancy rate with over half of the rooms being occupied by three large groups. Despite the high occupancy rate, the resort never seemed to be crowded. It was only noticeable when trying to make last minute dinner reservations!

Food and service at Browns Beach House was great but food at Norio's left something to be desired. Service at Norio's was also poor.

I was also surprised that the Beach Club staff was reluctant to confront an Asian couple who wrestled a Sea Turtle to the shallows of the beach for a photo op. Very disappointing that they did not do anything even after several guests spoke to them directly. Their response was that "they are there to rent equipment, not police the beach". The hotel should do a better job of posting notices that the Sea Turtles are an threatened species and there is a fine of up to $25,000 for harassing them!

There is a lot of construction going on around the Mauna Lani resort, but little is visible from the Orchid except maybe from the South facing rooms in the South Tower. When the homes at Pauoa Beach are under construction, there will be quite a bit of noise at the beach area. It is surprising that in the two years since this development has been open, only two homes have been built.

Was upgraded to an Oceanfront Suite for $150/night. With Fairmont Premeir upgrade certificates and fifth and seventh night free package, it worked out to about $375/night including breakfast. Not bad for a room that usually goess for $1K+! (Note that the upgrade charge was applied for the two "free" nights.)

Golf courses were both in very good condition although the North Course still is using two temporary holes while they complete the renovation of the course.

Overall, a very enjoyable week. We'll be back!

Last edited by jes999; Oct 19, 2004 at 7:20 am
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This property will be on my list of stops next year as mrs.acysb87 and I celebrate 25 years of marriage.(Australia and Fiji are also on the itinary ^ )I will require 1 more stay this year and will have Platinum status for next year at this property.Along with the certs,I am looking to a very enjoyable stay in Hawaii.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:25 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Fairmont Orchid

Quite simply this is the most amazing Fairmont "Resort" that I have been to! For me that is saying alot because I love the Mexico, Alberta, and BC resort properties as well as the Kea Lani. Yes the Orchid is even better than the Kea Lani.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:12 am

My wife and I are looking forward to our stay in December. We came across a $319 per night rate that gives you 5th and 7th night free, free breakfast, and free double upgrade to partial Ocean View. Not as good a deal as you Premier folks in your incredible suites but we can't wait!

<sappy mode on>
Our very first trip to the Big Island was 10 years ago this month, and at the time I think this property was a Ritz Carlton. We had only been dating a few months. We'd blown most of our budget just getting to Hawaii from the east coast, so we were stuck in a mildewy $70/night room somewhere out on Alii Drive. However, one night we dressed up and went exploring, ending up at the Orchid. We hung out on the grounds for hours, dumbstruck by the subdued luxury of the place, and eventually wound up sitting in a hammock by the water. Watching the stars from that hammock with my future wife while the water rippled against the shore is one of my favorite memories.
<sappy mode off>

I hope they still have the hammocks!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:17 am

The hammocks are still there and it is just as beautiful.

Originally Posted by DerProfi
My wife and I are looking forward to our stay in December. We came across a $319 per night rate that gives you 5th and 7th night free, free breakfast, and free double upgrade to partial Ocean View. Not as good a deal as you Premier folks in your incredible suites but we can't wait!

<sappy mode on>
Our very first trip to the Big Island was 10 years ago this month, and at the time I think this property was a Ritz Carlton. We had only been dating a few months. We'd blown most of our budget just getting to Hawaii from the east coast, so we were stuck in a mildewy $70/night room somewhere out on Alii Drive. However, one night we dressed up and went exploring, ending up at the Orchid. We hung out on the grounds for hours, dumbstruck by the subdued luxury of the place, and eventually wound up sitting in a hammock by the water. Watching the stars from that hammock with my future wife while the water rippled against the shore is one of my favorite memories.
<sappy mode off>

Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DerProfi

<sappy mode on>
<sappy mode off>

You are going to have a great time! Say "Hi" to Thomas at the Ocean Bar. He is one of the best bartenders I have ever been served by.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:22 pm

Fairmont Orchid

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions about the Fairmont Orchid ?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:04 am

Programs: AC Elite, *wood Plat, Fairmont Plat
Has anyone stayed at the Fairmont Orchid in Hawaii???

Considering a trip to Hawaii and would split my time between the Orchid and the Koele Lodge on Lanai...

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:10 pm

Orchid

The Fairmont Orchid is a fantastic property. Probably the best Fairmont Resort property I have stayed at.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:13 am

Just got back from the BI. The Orchid is great! My favorite is the Hapuna Beach Prince. The Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani are terrific and even the Hilton Waikoloa is fantastic. Compared to all of these, while I'm sure the accomodations and service is great, the Four Seasons would be at the bottom of this list.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I spent a week at the Orchid last summer. It's nice, but nothing to rave about. Rooms are comfortable, with nice lanai, but nothing special -- beds are only ok, bathroom is standard, lanai has cheap patio furniture. Standard rooms & ocean view rooms are "routine". Public areas are good, but anything special costs an arm & a leg (i.e., covered chaise lounges for two by the pool or beach; cabanas). Breakfast buffet is nice - but you feel like you're on a Hitchcock set when the birds swarm for leftovers.

The biggest drawback is its location. Kohala is beautiful, but isolated. And the Orchid is right in the middle - so you've got a drive to go north (try Merriman's for dinner one night) or south (to Kona), not to mention around to Volcano.

It was my first time on the Big Island, though, so I don't know what the alternatives are. I'd love a W/Renaissance/Park Hyatt quality property over by the Volcanos -- that would be great...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.