The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by randys1
hmmm, thanks

i kinda like those ghost shows on tv
Ya, we have been watching too many of those shows I think. I used to like the TAPS guys, but they get ridiculous with their de-bunking. They throw away perfectly good evidence for stupid reasons. They said the producers make them do things they wouldn't otherwise do for the audience.

We also like Ghost Adventures, but Zak drives me nuts with his shushing all the time. He really eggs the spirits on and has gotten into serious trouble more than once with them following him home. AAron's marriage went down the tubes because of some of the demons that followed him home. I think he said it was after their visits to Bobby Mackey's that really bad personal things started happening to him. Pavaglia Island in Italy was another one that they said demons followed them home. Poor Aaron. He always gets stuck in the basements of these places. I have to wonder though how much the producers throw in for good measure. I mean orbs, come on, it's dust or bugs!!

My husband wants to travel to some of these places to see these places. Know of any good airfare specials right now? Ha ha! That would be the day for me. I'm scared of my own shadow.

They have Hawaiian ghost tours. Maybe, I should open my own business doing these things around the Kea Lani and the Ritz. Ha ha!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
We have never paid $2,000 to stay in the villa's. Nowhere close. We have gotten them either through upgrades or specials.

All you have to do is ask different staff about the hauntings and they will tell you. Now, these are just stories we were told above what we experienced. Non believers would say what we experienced was coincidence, but we know better.

One story is about the villa's. Housekeeping went down to do the daily cleaning, rang the doorbell and nobody answered. The houskeeper knew someone was in there because she heard what sounded like someone talking on a phone. She waited for a few minutes while this conversation went on because she didn't want to disturb this woman's conversation. She rang the bell one more time, waited then stepped in and yelled that she was there. The slider was open, but the screen was closed. When she stepped in she felt the hair on the back of her neck stand on end because there was absolutely nobody in there and it looked like there hadn't been all morning. She got out of there and wouldn't go back in there that day.

Another housekeeping story: They were doing turndown up on the sixth floor. They just turned the corner to head down the long corrider when they noticed what they thought were heavy footsteps behind them. They turned around and nobody was there, so they went about their duties. They had finished their first room and came back out to the hallway. They noticed a man pacing the floor at the other end. What was strange was that he was dressed in cotume like the male hula dancers wear. They thought for some reason the man who lights the tiki torches at night while in costume was on that floor. They asked him if he needed some help from security. They said the man looked at them with a sour look, turned around and disappeared right through the wall. They beat a hasty retreat off that floor and even had security check the whole floor, but there was nobody to be found.

We had some strange things happen to us a few times. We were having lunch in our villa one day when we kept hearing what sounded like a child running around on the roof above us. If you've ever noticed, with the villa's, the living room roof has a dome above it so there is no second floor above it. We heard this for over five minutes and decided to go out on the second floor lanai to see what was going on. There was nothing there. We thought it was strange, but went back down to finish our lunch. The same thing happened again. We called the front desk to see if there was someone doing work on our villa roof. There wasn't. This wasn't a little creaking here and there. It was very noticible. We just chalked it up, but I really had the creeps after that. The same day we were out lounging by our plunge pool and I thought I heard the doorbell ring. My husband went in to check the back door, but nobody was there. It took him maybe ten seconds to get to the back door. After we went in for the day we were watching TV for a bit in the living room. The doorbell rang again. I thought my dry cleaning was coming back, so I went up to get it from the man that delivers it. Again, there was nobody there. This happened three more times that day without anyone being there. By the last couple of times we were running for the door because we wanted to see if there were children playing jokes on us, but there wasn't anyone to be found, anywhere. We even asked the front desk if someone was working on anything electrical. They were converting their phone systems that day, so we thought that might have had something to do with it. There wasn't. Coincidence? I don't know, I call it creepy.

One more story we were told: They had a big Samoan night watchman working the grounds and buildings one night. He had been there for years. He went into one of the ballrooms and was shining his flashlight around the room when he noticed a woman in a bridal gown in the corner crying loudly. He called out to her, asking her if she was alright or if she needed some help. He said he had the chicken skin all over his body and felt nervous. Mind you, this is a huge Samoan man. The bride looked at him, stood up and then he noticed she was transparent. Just then with lightening speed she floated out of the room. He stood there for a second in shock and bolted out of there. He went to his boss, handed in his keys and never went back to work there again. Then we heard an embellishment to this story where later on that night another night watchman saw this same bride floating along above the sand down on the beach.

There are others too, but I think this is enough for now. Keep in mind that most of the hotels in Wailea are built on ancient burial grounds. I imagine there are some angry souls there with having people tromping all over their graves. These are just stories. Keep in mind that stories like this take on a life of their own after they have been told so many times.

We have pictures that we took while sitting on our lanai at the FS Maui, where in some of the nighttime pictures it looks like we took pictures of some sort of light show. There are long squiggling lines that look like they are sparks. In the next picture it came out a beautiful nightscene, then back to the crazy neon looking squigglies again. Believers will tell you that these are ghost pictures, others say it's blemishes or a fluke. We have had crazy things happen at the Ritz, Kapalua too. All the workers there have wild ghost stories about the Ritz and the islands in general. They say to never taunt the dead of the islands or they will give you what for.

Anyway, there's a few of the many stories.
Thanks for the stories..

Unexplained phenomenon often interests me.. perhaps staying in the villas one of these years is in order..

I have seen some Villa specials.. Sounds like you get the villa specials consistently.. What and where do you usually look for and book.. What range of price say compared to a one bedroom suite?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, Starwood gold, Fairmont plat
We just got back this past Saturday. On checkout, they had completely missed that we were using the reno rate and tried to charge full price ($373). I told them we had booked the reno at their recommendation, and they came back with $299 as their best rate. Fortunately, I had the original email from the kea Lani with the $219 rate, so they gave it to us. So I think the "reno rate" varies depending on how well they are booked.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by oldhughesguy
We just got back this past Saturday. On checkout, they had completely missed that we were using the reno rate and tried to charge full price ($373). I told them we had booked the reno at their recommendation, and they came back with $299 as their best rate. Fortunately, I had the original email from the kea Lani with the $219 rate, so they gave it to us. So I think the "reno rate" varies depending on how well they are booked.
Its always good to bring a copy (electronic of physical) of the reservation as proof of rate, package and room type..

I've ran into a few discrepancies probably 6, or 7 years ago, and a couple of years ago regarding a Fairmont Moments Package booked..
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Accor Live Limitless Diamond
Great visit!

Just returned from 1 week at the Kea Lani. It was heaven.

- Thanks to the above posters for their alert re. the special rate. I printed my reservation confirmation the night before leaving. Turns out there was no problem honoring the special rate nor with my free night certificate I redeemed, but always better to be safe than sorry.

- The staff were excellent, consistent with my best Fairmont experiences, and many remembered us from day to day and made an effort to say hi by name.

- The construction situation is so well-managed that it was minimally noticeable. Ironically, my partner and I went on this vacation to get away from our home-renovation project! (The staff really got a kick out of hearing that.) Work was mainly down in one of the courtyards, next to the pool area. It was walled off. We overlooked it from our 6th floor lanai (along with an amazing view). Work never started before 9:30 and was always done before 5:00, so typically when you'd be out and about. The main noise was the back-up beeper from the bulldozer down there. If you were on the beach, you couldn't even hear it. One wing of our floor was closed off for work, but we couldn't hear a thing. They warned us of construction noise in the spa when booking spa services, but we couldn't hear a thing during our massages.

- Ko restaurant proper is closed (for the renovation), but the Ko staff serves the Ko menu in the Kea Lani breakfast restaurant, so it's the same awesome food in a more casual setting. The food was remarkable (and we're foodies), so we'll definitely eat there again when we return. Service at Ko was excellent, including realizing the jet lag hit us out of nowhere during our appetizer-course and speeding up the meal to light-speed so we didn't fall asleep in our food!

- They are apparently having record occupancy during what is otherwise a very slow season, given the special rates. Reservations for Ko aren't a bad idea, and plan spa sessions in advance.

Yes, it was still a vacation from our home-renovation!

We are already talking about when to go back!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msntriathlete
Just returned from 1 week at the Kea Lani. It was heaven.

- Thanks to the above posters for their alert re. the special rate. I printed my reservation confirmation the night before leaving. Turns out there was no problem honoring the special rate nor with my free night certificate I redeemed, but always better to be safe than sorry.

- The staff were excellent, consistent with my best Fairmont experiences, and many remembered us from day to day and made an effort to say hi by name.

- The construction situation is so well-managed that it was minimally noticeable. Ironically, my partner and I went on this vacation to get away from our home-renovation project! (The staff really got a kick out of hearing that.) Work was mainly down in one of the courtyards, next to the pool area. It was walled off. We overlooked it from our 6th floor lanai (along with an amazing view). Work never started before 9:30 and was always done before 5:00, so typically when you'd be out and about. The main noise was the back-up beeper from the bulldozer down there. If you were on the beach, you couldn't even hear it. One wing of our floor was closed off for work, but we couldn't hear a thing. They warned us of construction noise in the spa when booking spa services, but we couldn't hear a thing during our massages.

- Ko restaurant proper is closed (for the renovation), but the Ko staff serves the Ko menu in the Kea Lani breakfast restaurant, so it's the same awesome food in a more casual setting. The food was remarkable (and we're foodies), so we'll definitely eat there again when we return. Service at Ko was excellent, including realizing the jet lag hit us out of nowhere during our appetizer-course and speeding up the meal to light-speed so we didn't fall asleep in our food!

- They are apparently having record occupancy during what is otherwise a very slow season, given the special rates. Reservations for Ko aren't a bad idea, and plan spa sessions in advance.

Yes, it was still a vacation from our home-renovation!

We are already talking about when to go back!
Glad it worked out very well..

We would have loved to take advantage of the special rates.. but will have to settle going back to Kea Lani spring break..

imo.. Ko inside the breakfast area, is an improvement to what they had before.. Will be glad when they finally have a structure to operate from..

Did you try Nick's Fish Market?.. Not Fairmont owned, so they are fighting for business.. excellent portions and entrees.. I highly recommend it.. Not applicable on dining certs.. so must ask before hand if they will allow an exception..
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:22 pm

This is going to be the cheesiest question ever, but I have to ask it....is there a chance of seeing whales from the lanai of an ocean view room at the Kea Lani? (in season, of course)

Last edited by tjbrooks; Oct 6, 2011 at 7:15 am
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Its always good to bring a copy (electronic of physical) of the reservation as proof of rate, package and room type..

I've ran into a few discrepancies probably 6, or 7 years ago, and a couple of years ago regarding a Fairmont Moments Package booked..
We found an unbelievably great rate a few years ago right on their website and printed it. When we went to book it a couple of hours later they didn't want to honor it. We fought tooth and nail over that one and finally won out. The next day they jacked the rate way up and put a disclaimer on the bottom of the page saying that rates are subject to change.

They told us that they don't see the same rates we do when we go on the website. Huh? Anyway, ALWAYS print out your proof of rates because Fairmont can be sneaky about such things. Still love them though.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
This is going to be the cheesiest question ever, but I have to ask it....is there a chance of seeing whales from the lanai of an ocean view room at the Kea Lani? (in season, of course)
Absolutely. Somedays, you can see them from the beach (go grab a kayak and start paddling to get a closer look, but not too close).

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:05 am

Speaking of not honoring rates, i have EVERY time had Hertz tell me my cost is 15% more than what I booked it for, then I show them the paper resv i printed when i made the resv, taking advantage of this coupon code and that one etc

but without it in my hand i would never get the correct rate...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:35 pm

Last winter I was able to book an ocean view suite with breakfast for two at a total of $600 for six nights. No renovation special either
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Originally Posted by TokyoVD
Absolutely. Somedays, you can see them from the beach (go grab a kayak and start paddling to get a closer look, but not too close).

Cheers.
Agreed.. Absolutely, no question.. but as mentioned, it has to be in season..

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Last winter I was able to book an ocean view suite with breakfast for two at a total of $600 for six nights. No renovation special either
Sounds like an employee rate.. How were you able to do it?.. PM me if you do not want to mention this technique publicly..
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I recently stayed at the Kea Lani for the first time and was very pleased with the overall experience.^

service:

The staff at this Fairmont are outstanding, possibly among the best staff Ive encountered, and that on a consistent basis. Some even made an effort to learn my name and greet me whenever I walked by, very impressed as I was only staying there for a few days.

suite:

I got an excellent rate booking the renovation promo. Stayed in a partial ocean view suite (unfortunately all higher room categories were fully booked) which was very nice. Nice living room and bedroom a very spacious bathroom with bath and walk-in shower. Also
really liked the furniture provided on the lanais, not the cheap chairs many other hotels have.

Platinum benefits:

This was the only part of my stay I wasnt too impressed about.

I had requested an early check-in in advance, but my suite wasnt ready when I arrived at 12.30p.m., went back to ckeck-in at 2p.m. and still not ready, finally got my keys at around 3p.m. Not the end of the world, but after 12h of travelling it would have been nice to take a nap and have a shower.

Welcome gift wasnt particularly impressive: three chocolate-covered strawberries. Then again, the Platinum welcome amenity at most Fairmonts hasnt been very impressive this year, so I probably should just forget about this benefit.

restaurants:

The food and drinks at all the restaurants I visited were fantastic, though somewhat pricey (e.g. $14 + tip and taxes for a small cocktail served in a plastic cup).

Due to the renovations there were some great specials:

- happy hour from 4p.m.-6p.m.: appetizers and selected cocktails 50% off ^
- breakfast buffet for $25 per person

The breakfast buffet at the Kea Lani restaurant was excellent, and an excellent deal for $25 per person, and for an extra $10 you could have the "breakfast and champagne" special with unlimited refills. Only downside was that the "champagne" was some kind of pretty unimpressive sparkling wine from California, but nevermind...

If you dont always want to eat at the restaurants, theres an excellent alternative: Caffee Ciao has a great selection of coffees, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages (incl. full bottles of wine), salads, sandwiches, desserts etc. at pretty reasonable prices. Really enjoyed this place.^

hotel facilities:

The hotel facilities are impressive indeed. I really liked the open-air lobby area, the gardens etc. The beach is pretty nice too, though Id have to say it wasnt the nicest beach Ive seen this year. Both the beaches on the Cook Islands and Bermuda (at the Fairmont Southampton) were far more impressive, but nevertheless it was very relaxing lying around on the beach, and the weather couldnt have been nicer.

Overall I had a great stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani, the staff were great, the food was excellent and they have certainly succeeded in creating a relaxing resort.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Glad you had the Kea Lani Aloha Experience.. We are planning to visit Spring Break, unfortunately no renovation special..

Usually with Kea Lani they are good with late check outs.. to give guests a memorable vacation, unfortunately it leaves those who are checking in.. in a bit of a lurk..

We always get the Mauna Loa Mac Nut selections in a shirt dish for amenity.. Must be different amenities based on selected preferences..
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:55 pm

Just got an email that the renovations have been extended into our February stay. Not happy, although the specials around the resort might be worth taking advantage of.
As long as I don't get a view of what I've seen on TripAdvisor, ocean + dirt construction lot. They're still charging $600/night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.