The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:41 pm

Here now, many ups to this place, no doubt...just found out i have to use my visa and pay $5 for ten minutes in business center to print boarding passes, that is amazing to me, to charge what they charge here for rooms and then jeopardize their relationship with the guest with such a petty charge, the excuse is they subbed it out and the result is a charge, but very petty

the self parking can be a nightmare, one section is so narrow i simply couldnt park there no matter what...but there are other places, first night free valet is nice though

I will report more later, i dont want to only complain as i do like the place, but that $5 charge took me by surprise...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by randys1
Here now, many ups to this place, no doubt...just found out i have to use my visa and pay $5 for ten minutes in business center to print boarding passes, that is amazing to me, to charge what they charge here for rooms and then jeopardize their relationship with the guest with such a petty charge, the excuse is they subbed it out and the result is a charge, but very petty

the self parking can be a nightmare, one section is so narrow i simply couldnt park there no matter what...but there are other places, first night free valet is nice though

I will report more later, i dont want to only complain as i do like the place, but that $5 charge took me by surprise...
The self parking is indeed narrow.. so I don't mind driving deep into the parking lot a bit, or deep and around under the parkade towards the front of the hotel.. Generally, with wife and small kids, I go and pick up the vehicle and then pick them up by the foyer.. and when we arrive to the hotel, drop them off and go and park the vehicle..

I've never used their business services.. but I could see them giving a volume discount for large use.. but can't comment.. only walked by the business center area.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:08 pm

then how do you print boarding passes?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
then how do you print boarding passes?
We generally OLCI and pick them up at the airport where there is no charge to pick BPs up..

We need to check in luggage anyways, and flying with AC last couple of times on the originating segments allowed us to Executive Check in with Aeroplat Amex.. so expedited and speedy..
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I agree with you. Unfortunately Fairmont doesn´t operate the business centers at most (all?) of their hotels, they´re operated by some 3rd party like HP etc.

Some business centers at least allow guests to access a limited number of websites (airlines, hotels etc.) and print boarding passes for free and only charge a fee for all other services.

During one trip my laptop broke down and I had to use the business center each day, I wasn´t overly amused about those $10/h charges.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:37 am

We just stayed came back from a stay at the Kea Lani last week. I used the business center to print our boarding passes. This feature is provided at no-charge. There is a charge to use the computers but on the welcome screen on the comps you will see a box marked boarding passes, no charge. I confirmed this with the front desk before I came down. I'm not sure why you had to pay? Perhaps you didn't see the small box and logged in?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by slammie
We just stayed came back from a stay at the Kea Lani last week. I used the business center to print our boarding passes. This feature is provided at no-charge. There is a charge to use the computers but on the welcome screen on the comps you will see a box marked boarding passes, no charge. I confirmed this with the front desk before I came down. I'm not sure why you had to pay? Perhaps you didn't see the small box and logged in?
Thanks for the insight.. next year, I'll use this service if I've got some time..

It's pretty easy to OLCI and go to the OGG airport and printout BPs with the AC agent.. but if the option is there and I remember, why not use the free service?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by slammie
i havent done it yet, i specifically asked the concierge if printing boarding passes required paying and she said yes, so we will see when i go to do it tomorrow

thanks
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:04 pm
Suspended

i havent done it yet, i specifically asked the concierge if printing boarding passes required paying and she said yes, so we will see when i go to do it tomorrow

thanks
Goes to show that front desk agents are humans and mistakes sometimes..

Its really only a few dollar in the scheme of things and helps to keep the 3rd party contractor lights on so that you in fact access that service..
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:34 am

Construction Noise?

For those recently staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani, has there been lots of noise, disturbances during the recent construction and painting?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Ranny48
For those recently staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani, has there been lots of noise, disturbances during the recent construction and painting?
none, but just as i was leaving they were beginning painting hallways in my building which was the one on the north of the property, so not sure what is going on as i thought the rehab was for new KO restaurant only, wasnt sure where that was anyway, by the new infinity pool i gues
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:29 am
Suspended

none, but just as i was leaving they were beginning painting hallways in my building which was the one on the north of the property, so not sure what is going on as i thought the rehab was for new KO restaurant only, wasnt sure where that was anyway, by the new infinity pool i gues
AFAIK the Ko restaurant by the adult pool was the only reno mentioned..

but if everyone is booking on the reno rate, I'm glad they are doing up the halls, as it does need to have some work done.. as well as the common areas..
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
AFAIK the Ko restaurant by the adult pool was the only reno mentioned..

but if everyone is booking on the reno rate, I'm glad they are doing up the halls, as it does need to have some work done.. as well as the common areas..
We returned last from our stay last week.

The hotel was packed during our stay; but we had a fabulous suite (624) with an amazing view of the pools and the ocean in the background. The views are the highlight of any stay there.

It was clear the KO was under major work, but there was little noise or visibility of workers coming/going.

The reno discounts were throughout the hotel: free ocean toy rentals; $5 off the breakfast buffet and 50% off the cabana rentals.

Unfortunately each pools were closed for 1-2 hour stretches on successive days due to "sanitary accidents". That obviously had a financial impact to the pool service and swim-up bar. I'm recommend a "Cork your Kid" sign campaign.

Overall we loved the stay but were disappointed by the check-in process and delays; and the fact that we weren't greeted with a lei/drink upon arrival. We seem to have consistent hit-or-miss experiences with front desk staff; and the Kea Lani continued our trend.

These are minor quibbles and we'll definitely consider returning in the future.

I look forward to other people's experiences!

Keith
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
We returned last from our stay last week.

The hotel was packed during our stay; but we had a fabulous suite (624) with an amazing view of the pools and the ocean in the background. The views are the highlight of any stay there.

It was clear the KO was under major work, but there was little noise or visibility of workers coming/going.

The reno discounts were throughout the hotel: free ocean toy rentals; $5 off the breakfast buffet and 50% off the cabana rentals.

Unfortunately each pools were closed for 1-2 hour stretches on successive days due to "sanitary accidents". That obviously had a financial impact to the pool service and swim-up bar. I'm recommend a "Cork your Kid" sign campaign.

Overall we loved the stay but were disappointed by the check-in process and delays; and the fact that we weren't greeted with a lei/drink upon arrival. We seem to have consistent hit-or-miss experiences with front desk staff; and the Kea Lani continued our trend.

Keith
Gee, never ever missed a lei greeting.. must have been a off day..

624 (sixth floor) is Deluxe Ocean View, so fantastic view.. I assume you can see Molokini from your room..

Combined reno rates.. it is a score..

Those sanitary incidents will happen anytime.. sometimes glass will break, and the staff for safety reasons will clean up around the area..
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by fishferbrains

Keith
Funny - when we arrived we experienced the same check-in delay and no lei/drink on arrival. Don't feel left out

Besides that the stay was great for us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.