Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Loyalty Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
We all look for different things in different programs, and perhaps FPC isn't for the OP. And that's fine. However, to call it the "worst loyalty program" because of a cheap airline miles policy certainly removes some of the OPs credibility, using such a hyperbolic title over a rather minor part of any hotel loyalty program. Even moreso now that we see the OP isn't aware of many of the other program benefits, yet based on one small thing declared it 'the worst'.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Aug 23, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If all you care about is miles, by all means go somewhere else. Not all of us need more miles, and the benefits of Fairmont make it a great option.

We have earned exactly zero frequent flyer miles from Fairmont stays because we never pay full rate. But I still think Fairmont is one of the best loyalty programs out there. It's all about the experience. We love the properties, and the program definitely achieves its goal - they get us to stay there a certain amount every year so we can maintain status, and with the credit card Gold Floor upgrade, they even get us to spend more money on Deluxe rooms so we can use the upgrade. It's a win-win situation.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by xlnja
Thanks for the response. I just don't see the value though. There are nice Marriotts and Hiltons that offer many of the same benefits but also generous points. To get Platinum with Fairmont, I'd have to stay 30 nights. If I did that over 3 stays, I'd get about 2k United miles worth about $20. The same on Marriott or Hilton, depending on the current promotion, would get me points easily worth $600. I'd rather use points to stay for free than get one $100 Fairmont dining certificate. Any weekly traveling consultant would be foolish to choose Fairmont.
I am Ritz Plat, Hilton Diamond, and Fairmont Plat.

Fairmont is, by far, my favorite of the three, but the experience and treatment I receive during my stays, and the quality of the properties, means much more to me than any points or benefits I earn. Just FYI Marriott is #2 and Hilton #3.

Problem I have, as a US based traveler, is that there are so few Fairmont's to choose from. (I am really looking forward to a four night stay in Chicago in September!)

A question for you OP: How can you earn $600 worth points or miles on your stays (same type of stay) with Marriott or Hilton? That sounds generous, I want to know what I am doing wrong? (What do you value Marriott Rewards and Hilton points, and UA MP miles, at?)

Last: Domestically (US), I rarely get upgraded at Marriott's. Internationally my treatment is better - are most of your stays outside the US?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:17 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I only credit to two hotel programs, but Fairmont is by far my favourite.

I earn 2-3 free nights a year (if you include the US Based Chase Visa card promotion)
I value the free nights at $200-300 per night not including any suite or gold certificates I might also have.

1 night for platinum (30 nights in a year) or less if utilizing a promotion
1 additional night for (10 additional nights)
1 additional night for Chase Visa anniversary (with 12k spend per 12 months)
Additional promotional rates and certificates.

OP: don't be so quick to judge.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xlnja
Thanks for the responses. I wanted to see if there was something I was missing but apparently not. I still think their program stinks. I stayed at the Fairmont Singapore. It was a nice hotel, but I have stayed at Marriott and Hilton properties that were just as nice. As a Marriott Platinum and Hilton Diamond, I get upgraded all the time. Fairmont gives you a total of 4 upgrades at Platinum...woohoo. My point is that the standard benefits are similar but Marriott and Hilton also give points. Fairmont doesn't add up unless you travel infrequently.
You should see the Fairmont Platinum suite upgrade at the Fairmont Singapore. ^ It's true that without status the benefits aren't great but you should compare to Ritz and Waldorf, not to their base brands. Ritz also isn't too generous until you are Platinum
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Fairmont has the best program, only because Fairmont Platinum was comp'ed to me. If I had to earn it the hard way (even the easy way, like Amex Platinum fast track), I wouldn't bother.

While some properties are good, they're not in the same league as Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La, Four Seasons, Peninsula, Aman resorts.

When compared to the top brands of American chains like Waldorf Astoria, St. Regis, Park Hyatt etc, there is no comparison. These guys offer points that can also be translated to suite upgrades, free nights etc. If you compare service, they are generally no worse than Fairmont.

Just like the Penthouse suite in Singapore Fairmont, I really don't find that suite any special, except it is huge. All the interior furnishings are cheap stuff.

Every year, I have to really work hard to use up the two free night certs that they give me. Every where we travel to, there is either no Fairmont or there is a better hotel than a Fairmont.

Last edited by jarusoba; Aug 28, 2014 at 4:57 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Every where we travel to, there is either no Fairmont or there is a better hotel than a Fairmont.
So you don't travel to Vancouver, Whistler, Banff and the Canadian Rockies, Quebec city, Tremblant, Charlevoix, Bermuda, Montreux, St-Andrew Scottland, even London (The Savoy is maybe not "The Best" hotel in London but one of the best definitely). I am not talking about Africa / Asia / Middle East because I don't know how Fairmont hotels look like here but I assume some are decent...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:53 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
So you don't travel to Vancouver, Whistler, Banff and the Canadian Rockies, Quebec city, Tremblant, Charlevoix, Bermuda, Montreux, St-Andrew Scottland, even London (The Savoy is maybe not "The Best" hotel in London but one of the best definitely). I am not talking about Africa / Asia / Middle East because I don't know how Fairmont hotels look like here but I assume some are decent...
Not to mention Beijing, Makati, and Shanghai are all fantastic. and the 3+ in UAE are pretty impressive too.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:56 pm

Worst Loyalty Program

Staying at the Chateau Frontenac tomorrow. Stayed at Chateaux Montreux last year. Also at Chateaux Laurier. you dont go to a Fairmont expecting it to be a hilton. It is a luxury hotel collection not a regular business hotel where ever single room in ever single hotel looks the same (Marriott)
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
You're right, not much, except London.

Savoy London is trumped by Mandarin Oriental most of the time I go there.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Not to mention Beijing, Makati, and Shanghai are all fantastic. and the 3+ in UAE are pretty impressive too.
If I go to Beijing and Shanghai, there are so many more choices than Fairmont. Shangri-La, Park Hyatt, Peninsula, and Mandarin Oriental come to mind.

Can't comment on Makati because I don't really go to the Philippines.

Yes, UAE, Fairmont may be a choice. This year, we're using our free nights at the Palm.

I still find it hard to use the free night certs.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If I go to Beijing and Shanghai, there are so many more choices than Fairmont. Shangri-La, Park Hyatt, Peninsula, and Mandarin Oriental come to mind.
There are choices everywhere. Once you've made a decision to like or dislike a chain, there's probably no way anyone can change your mind, nor should there be a need for it to be changed. There's enough variety to make everyone happy.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AMX CENT
You're right, not much, except London.

Savoy London is trumped by Mandarin Oriental most of the time I go there.
LOL. Unless the Savoy comes free with your free night certificate

To the OP: you've already made up your mind so i won't try to convince you of anything. But will tell you my experience. You can easily fast track to platinum (I think its 5 night stay).

First year, I used only one suite upgrade at the Mayakoba and was moved up from the basic $150/night room to the $800/night room. Multiple that x 5 nights. Some people have had experiences being moved to the beachside villa at over $1000 per night. Ohh yeah, also used the dining certificates towards F&B.

Second year, i used 2 free nights + 2 room upgrades (wife is platinum too) at the Plaza and our dining certificates for breakfast ($700-800/night x 2 rooms).

Third year I used the 2 free nights certificates+ room upgrade and booked two adjoining rooms at the Savoy and used the dining and passions certificates towards afternoon tea and evening drinks x 4 people. If I recall, the prices of those rooms were about 750-900 per night.

There is value in the program if you plan properly. Sure you don't get any or very many airline points but surely some of the benefits above (in my opinion) are much better than lousy airline points.

BTW I'm a Hilton Diamond member as well. The only Hilton that I've had a really amazing upgrade is in Venice. Now that was outstanding!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
I only stay at Fairmonts a couple of times a year so have never earned status but there's a nice list of amenities for Club Members that few if any other programs offer to non-elites; e.g. free internet, use of their priority desk for check-in/out, free newspapers, fitness gear, phone calls, etc., worth more than a few hundred airline miles. The big chains are not as generous until you hit some level of status.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by megalab
I only stay at Fairmonts a couple of times a year so have never earned status but there's a nice list of amenities for Club Members that few if any other programs offer to non-elites; e.g. free internet, use of their priority desk for check-in/out, free newspapers, fitness gear, phone calls, etc., worth more than a few hundred airline miles. The big chains are not as generous until you hit some level of status.
It's the priority line benefit that I really don't understand. Why have a priority line that is available to anybody? I find the FPC lines are often the slowest, since there is usually very few (often just one) agent staffing that line, and with access free to anybody who bothers to sign up, it ends up being slower than the regular line.

It's one of my annoyances that the line isn't available only to Premier and up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.