Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Platinum but denied early check-in at Whistler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum but denied early check-in at Whistler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG, Mariott,Continental, Westjet
Angry Platinum but denied early check-in at Whistler

We have FPC platinum status and have just arrived at the Chateau Whistler. When i made the reservation, i specifically requested an early check in. The reservation agent said no problem and asked what time we would like, and i said 10am. We arrived at the hotel and we were told at the FPC front desk that our rooms (we have 2) are empty but not ready. The desk agent said that now we had arrived she would phone housekeeping and would phone us when the rooms are ready.

I was surprised and so said to the desk agent at the desk that we have platinum membership and that i thought we were entitled to guaranteed early check-in. We were told that it's not guaranteed, they make their best effort but since the hotel was sold put last night they couldn't provide early check-in. I have since double checked the website and that is clearly wrong. They suggested we go for lunch and they would call us. It's been over an hour and we are still waiting for the call.

Obviously we will take this up with the hotel - any suggestions as to how to best approach this?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
You´re indeed correct that early check-in is a guaranteed benefit. The caveat is that nowhere in the T&C does it say what exactly early check-in is.

10a.m. may be pushing it a little, but IMO the hotel should be able to give you a room by 12p.m.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I have encountered similar issues at a couple of other Fairmonts. In one case, I called the FPC Platinum line and they spoke with the hotel and sorted it out. IIRC, the agent on the phone that time told me 10 am for early checkin, but I think I have had a subsequent conversation with them in which 9 am was mentioned.
FWIW, the guaranteed early checkin benefit for Intercontinental Royal Ambasssadors is for 8 am.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I'm a plat and didn't even know of this benefit!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Never used early check-in a lot over the years. The late checkout benefit to 5 pm or 6 pm is excellent.

If you've been guaranteed upgrade to a room, I would wait until the upgraded room is ready. Jasper2009 is correct, guaranteed check-in does not gurantee a time. Only that you will receive a room before the typical 4 or 5 pm when hotel guests normally check-in. But as a FPC Platinum Member you're queued for the first available room that opens up.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Just had a similar experience at the SMI. Had 12:00 early check-in on the reservation, got there at 11:15, but room wasn't ready. Empty, but not ready. (I'm not sure what other prep they needed to do, since plat amenity wasn't in the room, no water, nothing special. Wouldn't this have been how the room staff left it?) Wasn't ready till 12:30, in the mean team we tried to get some food, but all the restaurant services on property are either "seasonally" closed or closed. The only thing one can do is order room service (and pay all the fees) to the lobby, pool, etc. (or the room is one has a room)..so order we did and 45 minutes later, we had our salad I won't make that mistake again.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:47 pm

I think it is a definite disconnect between what the FPC call centre sees and what the hotel actually has available as inventory. I was once guaranteed an 11am checkin at the Hamburg hotel and upon arrival was told that there was no such thing and that I could come back at 1500.

I have found Fairmont IT to be rather tedious to deal with and certainly would recommend calling the hotel directly to confirm any special arrangements made via the FPC call centre.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Jasper2009 is correct, guaranteed check-in does not gurantee a time. Only that you will receive a room before the typical 4 or 5 pm when hotel guests normally check-in. But as a FPC Platinum Member you're queued for the first available room that opens up.
Ummm, incorrect. Guaranteed early checkin is guaranteed early checkin. Although it is not published, it can be as early as 9AM and the guaranteed late checkout can be as late as 5PM. The key thing is that is MUST be requested in advance.

That said, I have twice had issues with this. Once at PlazaNYC, like the poster above they said there was no such thing as guaranteed early checkin. I went for a walk in Central Park and decided to call the FPC Plat line. I had requested a Noon early checkin and it was like 1PM when I arrived. Plat line said it certainly was guaranteed, and put me on hold and called the hotel. Came back a minute later and said to go back and speak with "XXXX XXXXX", the front office manager as a room has magically opened up.

My other issue was at Scottsdale Princess, but I knew I was pushing it here as I asked for a 10AM checkin during the PGA Tourney there when the hotel was sold out the night before (and I was redeeming a Suite Upgrade cert to boot). The front desk agent said they didn't have a room ready, and I didn't push it cuz I was gonna go watch golf anyways. Although he did say he'd call me when my room was ready and when I still hadn't heard back by 1PM I went back and my key packet was ready but nobody had called me to tell me. Anyways, it is guaranteed (supposedly) but it's one of those things I don't like to push unless I REALLY need it as I know it must be difficult for the hotel if they are sold out the night before and people want to check-in at 9AM or whatever. But then again, IC does this for their Royal Ambassadors, and that is even for guaranteed Suite Upgrades for all stays starting 8AM, so if they can do it, surely Fairmont can too.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Just had a similar experience at the SMI. Had 12:00 early check-in on the reservation, got there at 11:15, but room wasn't ready. Empty, but not ready. (I'm not sure what other prep they needed to do, since plat amenity wasn't in the room, no water, nothing special. Wouldn't this have been how the room staff left it?) Wasn't ready till 12:30, in the mean team we tried to get some food, but all the restaurant services on property are either "seasonally" closed or closed. The only thing one can do is order room service (and pay all the fees) to the lobby, pool, etc. (or the room is one has a room)..so order we did and 45 minutes later, we had our salad I won't make that mistake again.
Would certainly be nice if they'd offer to comp your lunch (or at least a couple drinks) if they make you wait so long for your "guaranteed" early check in room.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AC S100K
Sorry about your poor experience. It's unusual in my experience.

For future reference, under the ounce of prevention philosophy:

The Fairmont reservations process should include a query of your time of arrival; ask for a specific time rather than early check-in.

I'd recommend using "in-house reservations" for those trips you want to be perfect. Unlike the call centre, they'll have direct contact with those that will make it happen.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Ummm, incorrect. Guaranteed early checkin is guaranteed early checkin. Although it is not published, it can be as early as 9AM and the guaranteed late checkout can be as late as 5PM. The key thing is that is MUST be requested in advance.

That said, I have twice had issues with this. Once at PlazaNYC, like the poster above they said there was no such thing as guaranteed early checkin. I went for a walk in Central Park and decided to call the FPC Plat line. I had requested a Noon early checkin and it was like 1PM when I arrived. Plat line said it certainly was guaranteed, and put me on hold and called the hotel. Came back a minute later and said to go back and speak with "XXXX XXXXX", the front office manager as a room has magically opened up.

My other issue was at Scottsdale Princess, but I knew I was pushing it here as I asked for a 10AM checkin during the PGA Tourney there when the hotel was sold out the night before (and I was redeeming a Suite Upgrade cert to boot). The front desk agent said they didn't have a room ready, and I didn't push it cuz I was gonna go watch golf anyways. Although he did say he'd call me when my room was ready and when I still hadn't heard back by 1PM I went back and my key packet was ready but nobody had called me to tell me. Anyways, it is guaranteed (supposedly) but it's one of those things I don't like to push unless I REALLY need it as I know it must be difficult for the hotel if they are sold out the night before and people want to check-in at 9AM or whatever. But then again, IC does this for their Royal Ambassadors, and that is even for guaranteed Suite Upgrades for all stays starting 8AM, so if they can do it, surely Fairmont can too.
I wish you were correct, and certainly the words 'guaranteed' would mean just that.. 'guaranteed'.

But Fairmont doesn't guarantee early check-in even though it advertises it. I wish they would guarantee early check-in, and I hope Fairmont honors my guaranteed early check-in for the Fairmont Kea Lani I just booked today. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe shake the tree a bit and see if you get compensation. Report back.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:28 pm

During the Olympics in Vancouver I tried to use my guaranteed late check-out. 3 different staff members refused to extend it to me. With the rate I was paying I wasn't too thrilled.

I returned to the hotel around 5am after a wonderful night and I called platinum line to see if they can help me. I woke up just before noon and there was a message to call royal service and tell them what time I would like to check-out at.

I requested 4pm and it was granted and much appreciated bc I booked my flight back home around 3:30pm and didn't feel the best after my late night.

On topic too I don't think anyone is entitled to the room they book until regular check-in hours. Fairmont is suppose to give you a fairmont room in case your fancier room isn't available yet. This is what I recall from hearing from a front desk manager I know. It's in the T&Cs

Overall my early check-in experience has been underwhelming. I have had to wait for a room over a handful of times and the earliest I've been offered is noon.

But late check-out has been a positive experience except for the story above.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kokinos
On topic too I don't think anyone is entitled to the room they book until regular check-in hours. Fairmont is suppose to give you a fairmont room in case your fancier room isn't available yet. This is what I recall from hearing from a front desk manager I know. It's in the T&Cs
I know other hotel chains have a policy to provide a standard room when checking in early, but I´ve never heard of Fairmont having such a policy, and I´m 99% sure there´s no such clause in the T&C.

IMO the biggest issue is that nowhere in the T&C is the early check-in benefit defined - a policy along the lines of "Platinum members are entitled to a guaranteed 11a.m. early check-in and 5p.m. late check-out; anything better is at the hotel´s discretion" would make this benefit much more useful.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I wish you were correct, and certainly the words 'guaranteed' would mean just that.. 'guaranteed'.

But Fairmont doesn't guarantee early check-in even though it advertises it. I wish they would guarantee early check-in, and I hope Fairmont honors my guaranteed early check-in for the Fairmont Kea Lani I just booked today. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe shake the tree a bit and see if you get compensation. Report back.
I'm pretty sure it really does mean guaranteed. It just depends on how much noise you want to make if/when they try to reject you at checkin at the front desk. If you pull out your phone and call FPC Plat line, I'm sure you'll safely be in your room within 15 mins or if not you will get sufficient compensation that you are fully happy.

I'd definitely suggest you give it go at Kea Lani if they try to reject your early checkin when you arrive.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by kokinos
I've never heard of this policy either. Where in the T&Cs is this written? I know this is the case with Intercontinental Royal Ambassador Guaranteed Suite Upgrades (used in conjunction with 8AM guaranteed early checkin). If a suite isn't available they will give you a regular room and then move you to the Suite when it's available. Works ok as you get to raid 2 free minibars instead of 1 as an IC RA.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
IMO the biggest issue is that nowhere in the T&C is the early check-in benefit defined - a policy along the lines of "Platinum members are entitled to a guaranteed 11a.m. early check-in and 5p.m. late check-out; anything better is at the hotel´s discretion" would make this benefit much more useful.
I agree it would be nice if guaranteed early/late checkin were defined somewhere, however I have gotten consistent into multiple times from different reps and it is guaranteed 9AM early checkin and 5PM late checkout. Now I wouldn't abuse it as I wouldn't want the generous perk going away, but if I truly needed a really early checkin or late checkout, I would certainly ask and escalate if needed if the front desk wasn't cooperative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.