Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Platinum but denied early check-in at Whistler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum but denied early check-in at Whistler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I'm pretty sure it really does mean guaranteed. It just depends on how much noise you want to make if/when they try to reject you at checkin at the front desk. If you pull out your phone and call FPC Plat line, I'm sure you'll safely be in your room within 15 mins or if not you will get sufficient compensation that you are fully happy.

I'd definitely suggest you give it go at Kea Lani if they try to reject your early checkin when you arrive.
In my books, guaranteed check-ins mean no hassle, no fuss. Ask and you shall receive.. on the same lines as guaranteed check-out.

I agree with those upthread, that Fairmont should at least provide an alternate room if the designated room checking in is not available.

And yes I agree, guaranteed should really mean guaranteed. Up until this point, it hasn't been the case. I would like to see this changed. And yes, I will give it a go at Kea Lani. My last early guaranteed check-in arrival at Kea Lani (some 5 years ago), we had to wait for the room to be ready. Hope that this is not the case.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I know other hotel chains have a policy to provide a standard room when checking in early, but I´ve never heard of Fairmont having such a policy, and I´m 99% sure there´s no such clause in the T&C.

IMO the biggest issue is that nowhere in the T&C is the early check-in benefit defined - a policy along the lines of "Platinum members are entitled to a guaranteed 11a.m. early check-in and 5p.m. late check-out; anything better is at the hotel´s discretion" would make this benefit much more useful.
Sorry for the delay to reply. An manager at Banff who is also a friend told me they only need to offer a standard room for early check-in. So it's not in our T&Cs but between Fairmont and the hotels.

I fully agree on your issue, it would be great to have it reflect in our T&Cs.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokinos
Sorry for the delay to reply. An manager at Banff who is also a friend told me they only need to offer a standard room for early check-in. So it's not in our T&Cs but between Fairmont and the hotels.

I fully agree on your issue, it would be great to have it reflect in our T&Cs.
A standard room would suffice and make a more relaxing arrival. At least if this was reflected in the T&C's then elite FPC members can have their expectations managed. Or delete as guaranteed benefit, and only bookable if confirmed with the hotel before hand. That way the member and the hotel are on the same page.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:36 am

I'm curious if you can clarify this a bit. So does the above mean:
1) If you are booked into a Suite, this means they don't need to offer you early check-in and you are just screwed til normal checkin time?

or

2) If you are booked into a Suite and you request early check-in in advance, they will put you into a Standard room at 11AM (or whenever you show up), and then they will move you into your Suite once it is ready at regular check-in time?

#2 is how IC RA status works with their guaranteed 8AM early checkin benefit.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:17 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
...when the hotel was sold out the night before (and I was redeeming a Suite Upgrade cert to boot). The front desk agent said they didn't have a room ready, and I didn't push it cuz I was gonna go watch golf anyways.
Indeed this is the right protocol. The hotel is happy to get you into your room, unless it's not yet ready. This is much harder when the hotel is full the night before. We should understand, and then accommodated as soon as possible.

Would certainly be nice if they'd offer to comp your lunch (or at least a couple drinks) if they make you wait so long for your "guaranteed" early check in room.
This is tough if the front desk doesn't know how long the room will take to be ready. I think lunch is appropriate only if the wait will be several hours. I've had the hotel offer this once in my life. I don't think it should be expected. But, nice if the guest is being nice about the wait.

On topic too I don't think anyone is entitled to the room they book until regular check-in hours.
No. I have to disagree. It's to everyone's benefit to get you into the room as soon as they can. ONCE THE ROOM IS READY, it's in the hotels benefit to have you checked in. The chances that you will spend is better (in room, or around the property) and they can check one more person off the expected arrivals list. The worst thing for a property would be to make everyone wait until "check-in time." Customers hate long lines, owners hate long lines, front line employees hate long lines.

It doesn't cost the company anymore to get you into your room. But it sure gets the hotel one step closer to end of day and "certainty." Bosses like certainty too.

I'm curious if you can clarify this a bit. So does the above mean:
1) If you are booked into a Suite, this means they don't need to offer you early check-in and you are just screwed til normal checkin time?

or

2) If you are booked into a Suite and you request early check-in in advance, they will put you into a Standard room at 11AM (or whenever you show up), and then they will move you into your Suite once it is ready at regular check-in time?

#2 is how IC RA status works with their guaranteed 8AM early checkin benefit.
In my opinion, it's mostly based on the guests attitude. If the guest is being a jerk, I would guess that the chance of a standard room goes up. If the guest is being nice, I'm sure they'll get the room they have already beeen assigned. They like certainty, and changing your room to a lower category means they have to figure the room assignments out again. Desire for efficiency would work in your favor here, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.