Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:18 pm

Wow! One for myself and the wife = four nights at the kea lani?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by tommy99
It sucks that Canada won't get this card! It would be great if Amex looks into making it one of their cards especially since they already have been partnering with them with plat5.
Who is Amex?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
I am really excited about this card depending on a few things.

If the free nights are at any hotel, I'm in for two. If they are towards free nights at any hotel my other questions don't matter but obviously the big question is then the points system. If they are UR points then the $7,500 spend will be met quickly... twice.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Wow! One for myself and the wife = four nights at the kea lani?
That's what I'm wondering - does anyone know if the free nights work anywhere and everywhere?

I still have some Ovations from last year's Discover America. I could have a nice long run at the Kea Lani.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by havoc29
As a lifetime Platinum I want to like this, but it doesn't look very appealing after the first year.
I agreed at first, but the $100 dining certs cover the annual fee and I'll take the gold upgrade cert happily. I'll put the $12k on it to get the extra free night every year. I think it's silly not to have it if you're a lifetime plat.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC 75K
If such a credit card was rolled out in Canada, it would have certain modifications to bring it in line with the notoriously less-competitive Canadian market standards:

1. the fee would be $120
2. no first-year-free in Canada
3. no renewal incentive/benefit
4. starting benefit would be cut in half (one free night only)
5. it would be issued by some garbage bank like Capital One
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:00 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Air Koryo
If such a credit card was rolled out in Canada, it would have certain modifications to bring it in line with the notoriously less-competitive Canadian market standards:

1. the fee would be $120
2. no first-year-free in Canada
3. no renewal incentive/benefit
4. starting benefit would be cut in half (one free night only)
5. it would be issued by some garbage bank like Capital One
You are being too generous. Credit offerings in Canada are worse than you imply.

1. My fee for RBC BA Avios Visa is 165 + 75 for additional cards
2. It would offer very little in the way of useful insurance/protections
3. It would have a 5000 spend req in the first month
4. Points can be exchanged for useless skymall junk on a clunky website shop for a rate of .003 per dollar spend. (increased value for Fairmont spend @ .004 per dollar spend)
5. It would offer state of the art Chip and Pin with the card holder assuming all liability.
6. Cash advance checks come monthly free of charge

(It has been mentioned to me by bankers and those in the credit industry, that the offers aren't as good as USA, because of A: smaller market and B: to protect the consumer and not encourage poor credit usage/practices.
What is funny about that is, in Vancouver people are flipping real estate worth 2x it's value, and I was able to get 4 credit cards by saying "I make 100k" No questions asked.

Slightly off topic:
I have 0 debt, in USA or Canada, but hold 10 american and 5 canadian credit cards.
I have met multiple Canadians with some CRAZY debt, thinking they can use their house to pay down bills.

Can we say bubble-collapse scenario?
Basically the only reason the offers suck here is, because the banks have 0 incentive to help customers.
I am sure glad the local credit union runs diversity advertising every 10 minutes though.

Last edited by AMRivlin; Apr 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
The AMEX Plat 5 promotion for Canadian cardholders seems pretty unbeatable to me. It will be interesting strategically to see how Fairmont balances out its dueling credit card promotions/vendors. When Chase teamed up with United/Continental they managed to kill the airline's relationship with AMEX.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: AC
I'll try anything once....
Old May 4, 2012, 11:41 am

Coincidentally http://fairmontcard.com DNS has been transferred to a fairmont server in Canada (From a generic godaddy holding page)

This server hosts other random fairmont affiliated sites
http://www.ip-adress.com/reverse_ip/fairmontcard.com

5 or so days to go!
Old May 4, 2012, 11:45 am

I'll be paying for a long fairmont stay on May 14 before I could get the card. Anyone think there's any chance I could switch my payment a week later to the new fairmont card? I'd hate to lose out on those bonus points.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by bobofoosh
I'll be paying for a long fairmont stay on May 14 before I could get the card. Anyone think there's any chance I could switch my payment a week later to the new fairmont card? I'd hate to lose out on those bonus points.
You might get the card if you apply on May 10, if it is released as this thread speculates. If not you are out of luck. Chase would have no reason to credit you if you pay in another fashion. It would be like paying for Burger King and asking McDonalds to give you a free happy meal toy. Sorry.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
You might get the card if you apply on May 10, if it is released as this thread speculates. If not you are out of luck. Chase would have no reason to credit you if you pay in another fashion. It would be like paying for Burger King and asking McDonalds to give you a free happy meal toy. Sorry.
I must not have been clear. I was hoping the hotel would refund my original form of payment and charge my new card. But I agree that I'm probably out of luck. Ohs well, I'll use it at the next stay.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
So as a Canadian resident it seems to me that Fairmont is unwilling to align with a Canadian bank and keep my loyalty, hmmmm.......
Old May 4, 2012, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ricski64
So as a Canadian resident it seems to me that Fairmont is unwilling to align with a Canadian bank and keep my loyalty, hmmmm.......
I suspect they will, great things come to "Canadians" who wait. Generally that wait is 1-2 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.