Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Platinum Re-qualification with Amex Aeroplan Platinum

Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I've had Fairmont President's Club Platinum status for several years.

This year I will only have 5 stays with Fairmont. Coincidentally last December I got an Amex Aeroplan Platinum card.

One of the benefits of this Amex Aeroplan Platinum card is Fairmont Platinum status after 5 stays. However my card will expire in December, I won't be renewing it as the annual fee is ridiculous and I only got the card for the Aeroplan signup bonus.

So the question is, when they send out Fairmont Platinum renewal packages next February or so, will my 2011 Aeroplan Platinum card enable me to get the 5-stay Fairmont Platinum status? Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation. I have grown used to the Fairmont Platinum benefits and it would be hard to give them up.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just a few comments:

- I guess youre referring to the "Platinum for Platinum" promo ("Plat5" promo): in that case you actually only need 5 nights to (re-)qualify for Plat status, not 5 stays, so its extremely easy (IMO too easy, but thats another topic)

- If the "Plat5" promo code is entered in your profile and the system realizes youve requalified before Dec., your status may automatically be extended next year. However, Fairmonts IT system is pretty crappy, so many folks had to call FPC in the past and they manually checked the eligibility and updated your status (and that case theres a good chance you wont get Plat status next year)

Anyways, with 5 stays in 2011 youd at least get Premier status in 2012 which isnt too bad (3rd night free, 1 suite upgrade cert, 1 room upgrade cert)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Make sure to charge 5 nights on the Aeroplat Amex, otherwise it won't count towards the Plat5 promo..

If you have already paid for 5 nights, I would call in now to FPC Loyalty and quote Plat5..

They will update the system, and you will be Plat next year..
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I've had Fairmont President's Club Platinum status for several years.

This year I will only have 5 stays with Fairmont. Coincidentally last December I got an Amex Aeroplan Platinum card.

One of the benefits of this Amex Aeroplan Platinum card is Fairmont Platinum status after 5 stays. However my card will expire in December, I won't be renewing it as the annual fee is ridiculous and I only got the card for the Aeroplan signup bonus.

So the question is, when they send out Fairmont Platinum renewal packages next February or so, will my 2011 Aeroplan Platinum card enable me to get the 5-stay Fairmont Platinum status? Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation. I have grown used to the Fairmont Platinum benefits and it would be hard to give them up.
Be aware of what's written in the Amex card conditions : "American Express reserves the right to instruct Fairmont Hotels & Resorts to cancel your Fairmont Presidents Club membership if you cease to be a Cardmember."
I don't know if they actually do that...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Be aware of what's written in the Amex card conditions : "American Express reserves the right to instruct Fairmont Hotels & Resorts to cancel your Fairmont Presidents Club membership if you cease to be a Cardmember."
I don't know if they actually do that...
Depending on how its written.. I'm wondering if holding an American Express product would help the relationship?

This is a good point with the T&Cs.. as my wife is qualifying on the Aeroplat this year as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.