Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There have been a few such reports, but fortunately I´ve had nothing but excellent service over the years, regardless of whether I had booked the FAF rate or any other rate. Some hotels even gave me some extra benefits as an employee friend (e.g. 20% discount on F&B)

IMO the "attitude" comes from the fact that the FAF rate was available to the public for quite a while and it probably was hard to distinguish the "real employee friends" from other people using the NFAF code.
I agree the attitude probably was more so when the rate was public.. my personal concierge made this statement to me about 6 months ago during the summer.. so it could be that NFAF is on the cusp, but as far as I know status quo on upgrades.. so I'm pretty happy

I agree that the rate booked may result in a different level of service, but IMO it´s pretty much impossible to say whether it´s good or bad, it very much depends on the employee handling the booking and the hotel, e.g.

TA rate: treat the guest worse because he paid a lower rate or treat him better because he influences the decision of other customers?

FAF rates: treat the guest worse because he paid a lower rate and may not even personally know an employee or treat him better because he´s a friend of a long-time, valued Fairmont colleague?

What I´m basically saying is that it´s not worth it to spend too much time thinking about worse/better treatment as a consequence of booking a particular rate.

The only rates I tend to avoid for various reasons are GRGD and third party bookings (expedia, travelzoo etc.)
I would agree with you it could go either way.. the point I was making that the booking factors, rate, who you are, status of FPC.. does affect the customized service you ultimately receive.. could be good, could be bad.. could be a half empty glass of water, could be a half full glass of water.

For example, Fairmont probably has quite a few travel professionals.. run of the mill they have a standard way of treating travel agents.. however, if you're like my friend who booked hundreds of Fairmont room nights for corporate use at Jasper, and you know the same reservation manager that used to be in Jasper and just moved to Banff Springs.. Budda Boom Budda Bing.. Banff Springs Presidential Suite. I can't say this has ever happen to me before.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My favorites

Fairmont Singapore
Fairmont Orchid
The Savoy
Old May 24, 2011, 11:37 am

There have been a few such reports, but fortunately I´ve had nothing but excellent service over the years, regardless of whether I had booked the FAF rate or any other rate. Some hotels even gave me some extra benefits as an employee friend (e.g. 20% discount on F&B)

IMO the "attitude" comes from the fact that the FAF rate was available to the public for quite a while and it probably was hard to distinguish the "real employee friends" from other people using the NFAF code.

I agree that the rate booked may result in a different level of service, but IMO it´s pretty much impossible to say whether it´s good or bad, it very much depends on the employee handling the booking and the hotel, e.g.

TA rate: treat the guest worse because he paid a lower rate or treat him better because he influences the decision of other customers?

FAF rates: treat the guest worse because he paid a lower rate and may not even personally know an employee or treat him better because he´s a friend of a long-time, valued Fairmont colleague?

What I´m basically saying is that it´s not worth it to spend too much time thinking about worse/better treatment as a consequence of booking a particular rate.

The only rates I tend to avoid for various reasons are GRGD and third party bookings (expedia, travelzoo etc.)
For what it's worth the best upgrade I have ever received at a Fairmont has been on a third party rate but I got such an amazing room because my upgrade initially didnt process and upon checking in, the upgrade I was supposed to get was no longer available. The front desk agent was incredibly nice and I think I probably just lucked out. So I have to agree with Jasper, a lot of it is just based on the person you're dealing with and how they are feeling so trying to figure out the science of an art form is a pretty hopeless pursuit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.