Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Unsurprisingly however OP asked for our input about what we feel are top Fairmont hotels, not the Fairmont marketing department's input.
The title is asking which Fairmont Hotels are most extraordinary.. Although these articles are in the archives.. it serves as a references to third party sources that are useful. As our experience demonstrates, including your recent experience at Fairmont Olympic Seattle, we tend to have our one offs that may skew the opinion of the batch. When third party references scope, researches, and sometimes interviews guest to collect their data, it serves as a useful scope in comparison to other hotel chains, and hotels within other chains.. and where Fairmont hotels rank within professional standards.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:39 am

I stayed at both the Fairmont zimbali lodge and the zimbali resort in SA during the World Cup last July. They were still constructing the resort while I was there (I think I was technically their first ever guest haha) and while it had beautiful modern rooms and restaurants it lacked all of the character that the lodge had in my opinion. I'd have to put the Zimbali lodge as one of the nicest hotels of all the fairmonts I've stayed with.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:07 pm

Mecca when it opens! That whole complex may look like it belongs in Vegas but it must be one crazy site to see I won't ever get the experience too.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The title is asking which Fairmont Hotels are most extraordinary.
The title perhaps but the the OP specifically said: (my bold)

I am extremely interested in what hotels in the Fairmont group other members feel combine extraordinary architecture, beauty and views well worth the trip?
That's other members as in other FTers, not what Fairmont's PR department has to say.

And for that matter it isn't even a "third" party as it's only us and Fairmont which is only two parties so please don't try and angle it like Fairmont is some independent and impartial "third" party like JD Power.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
tcook052.. we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. I read it "other members" in terms of FPCers.. no where does it say FTers.. and based on the surveys sent out to FPCers through internal surveys JD Powers & Associates, information is collected.. hotels are evaluated.. and awards/evaluations are given out based on results.

Your experiences at Fairmonts are somewhat skewed, as you're a travel agent visiting on travel agent rates.. The service you receive is a promotional one, but you miss out on parts of the FPC program that would have enhanced your experience..
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:09 pm

tcook052.. we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. I read it "other members" in terms of FPCers.. no where does it say FTers.. and based on the surveys sent out to FPCers through internal surveys JD Powers & Associates, information is collected.. hotels are evaluated.. and awards/evaluations are given out based on results.
We can gladly disagree as I believe OP wanted some input what we, meaning other members of FT, thought were extraordinary hotels within the Fairmont chain, not what some marketing hype Fairmont may have linked to their website.

Your experiences at Fairmonts are somewhat skewed, as you're a travel agent visiting on travel agent rates.. The service you receive is a promotional one, but you miss out on parts of the FPC program that would have enhanced your experience..
I may not get nightly stay elite credit but that definately doesn't impact the quality delivered, or not as the case may be, in terms of the room or customer service. If I opt to pay more for an executive king suite and it has an old, worn and nonfunctioning sofa bed that's what I resport back about my stay as I call it like I see it. I don't presume to say that's the standard everyone will get, merely what my experience was. Of course when I get oustanding service and memorable rooms I note that as well so like to think I'm a balanced judge of the product.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:18 pm
Suspended

I may not get nightly stay elite credit but that definately doesn't impact the quality delivered, or not as the case may be, in terms of the room or customer service. If I opt to pay more for an executive king suite and it has an old, worn and nonfunctioning sofa bed that's what I resport back about my stay as I call it like I see it. I don't presume to say that's the standard everyone will get, merely what my experience was. Of course when I get oustanding service and memorable rooms I note that as well so like to think I'm a balanced judge of the product.
Hence the point.. sometimes hotels just provide you what you paid for.. even at Travel Agent rates.. yes it may be in that category, but will you receive the renovated room that a platinum member would? or would you receive the upgraded specialty suite that an elite member would? Apples and oranges.. if you walk in paying travel agent rates, you are most likely going to miss out on the enhancements FPCers.. and those who are on this forum.. FTers.. have come to enjoy.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:32 pm

Hence the point.. sometimes hotels just provide you what you paid for.. even at Travel Agent rates.. yes it may be in that category, but will you receive the renovated room that a platinum member would? or would you receive the upgraded specialty suite that an elite member would? Apples and oranges.. if you walk in paying travel agent rates, you are most likely going to miss out on the enhancements FPCers.. and those who are on this forum.. FTers.. have come to enjoy.
Huh? Fairmont give TA's the same rooms it sells to the public gets and to suggest otherwise is flat out wrong. In fact, I did get upgraded once to a spectacular corner room at the Waterfront while staying at a TA rate so your pet theory is plain loudicrous.

But that is massively beside the point as the topic of this thread isn't about either your pet theories or TA's or myself but rather what other FTers think are noteworthy Fairmont hotels so please drop the ramblings and off topic musings and let the conversation return to what was intended.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Huh? Fairmont give TA's the same rooms it sells to the public gets and to suggest otherwise is flat out wrong. In fact, I did get upgraded once to a spectacular corner room at the Waterfront while staying at a TA rate so your pet theory is plain loudicrous.

But that is massively beside the point as the topic of this thread isn't about either your pet theories or TA's or myself but rather what other FTers think are noteworthy Fairmont hotels so please drop the ramblings and off topic musings and let the conversation return to what was intended.
Your phrase "huh?" about sums it up.. and if you think getting a signature room upgrade at the water front is spectacular.. has only nailed the topic on the head. You don't receive the service because you're getting a TA rate.. and your opinion is one off compared to what others are receiving based on public, or members of FPC.. sure they may try to impress you with a "spectacular" signature room upgrade.. hence you've missed the whole point of the loyalty program that FPC provides for its most loyal customers, because you've never received a taste of it.

You see, just like yourself, I once considered becoming a travel agent to take advantage of the rates you currently enjoy. I chose to go the retail route because of the service I receive retail.. For example, getting a 1,200 sq ft spa suite with a 600 sq ft concrete balcony at the Banff Springs, a 1,800 sq presidential suite at Whistler, a 1,577 sq ft ocean front suite at Fairmont Orchid, a 1,300 sq ft Apartment Suite at Fairmont Turnberry (a hotel you just recently visited). These are the one off upgrades that are provided to Platinum Members.. and I can confirm that Spring Break, I've got guaranteed booked the 1,577 sq ft ocean front suite at Fairmont Orchid, and an Ocean View suite at the Kea Lani. Jasper2009 just got a guaranteed Presidential Suite upgrade in Singapore.. and the rates we pay are base Fairmont Room prices, often Friends and Family.

I would suggest maybe you dropping the TA role, and try the retail route as Platinum Member.. and see for yourself the service enhancements one could receive with the FPC program.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Not quite sure what the point of this discussion is. Both TA rates and regular rates have their benefits.

TA rates can be VERY low, even lower than FAF rates. I´m not too familiar with the Fairmont TA rates, but I know a few TAs who have received discounts of up to 80% at various (non-Fairmont) luxury resorts, and some hotels do go out of their way to treat TAs well (free dinner, upgrades etc.), just have a look at various reports of some Virtuoso TAs in the luxury forum, of course it´s only a very small sample size, but it surely isn´t black and white.

If tcook052 is happy with the value he´s getting with the TA rates, that´s great, I don´t see any reason to "convert" him to start booking other rates, I´m sure he´s clever enough to figure out what rate works best for him.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:08 am

Thanks Jasper2009 and I'm fully in agreement as I too am unsure what the point of the discussion is any more other than Ancien has totally derailed what OP intended, which for the umpeenth time is what us FT members feel are extraordinary hotels in the Fairmont group. Hopefully we can get back to that discussion.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:17 pm
Suspended

I'm not here to convert anyone.. funny pblh has pm'ed me multiple times within this discussion..

The point is a TA vs. general public, vs. Staff, vs. FPC vs. FPC elite members will all have differing viewpoints based on background, rates received, specific hotel treatment, etc. This is very relevant to getting skewed one off viewpoints. My point with Tcook052 who had a one off experience with the Olympic is that he paid a TA rate, and the hotel decided to assign a subpar room.. is that his stay could have been enhanced as an elite FPC member, receiving the benefits of service and upgrades.. that could have changed his overall experience.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Thanks Jasper2009 and I'm fully in agreement as I too am unsure what the point of the discussion is any more other than Ancien has totally derailed what OP intended, which for the umpeenth time is what us FT members feel are extraordinary hotels in the Fairmont group. Hopefully we can get back to that discussion.
Your interpretation of continued discussion is clear. We agreed to disagree, as I feel relevant to include 3rd party entities/publications in this threads discussion. I have been in contact with OP and there has been no objection to the direction of where this thread is taking.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:15 pm

So an extraordinary hotel has a subpar room? That's quite the admission and hardly makes it a one off if others are staying in that same room.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
I am grateful to everyone contributing to this thread and would greatly appreciate additional ideas on this topic.

In my business career I have had the fortune of staying in innumerable five star hotels in business capitols around the world. While extremely pleasant and often providing strong service I have no strong desire to return to them for personal travel.

On occasion I have encountered hotels that are exceptional with a classical elegance, tall ceilings, interesting history and breathtaking views. The Fairmont group has a number of them in its portfolio and I started this thread because I wanted to plan trips with my wife to enjoy them.

IMHO strong examples of these types of hotels are Banff Springs, Montreux Palace, the Plaza and the Savoy. Chateau Lake Louise is not far behind.

Given the earlier recommendation in this thread by tcook I am planning a trip during the fall colors to Le Chateau Frontenac and some smaller Inns in New England.

As Ancien is aware I am also planning a trip to Banff and Lake Louise in a month.

While many of the other hotels that I have actually travelled to in the group are extremely nice I personally do not find that they reach that level.

IMHO their Hawaiian hotels are in this category. The rooms and the views are exceeded by other more distinctive hotels. The same with some of their city hotels.

it is a very subjective matter and I appreciate the perspectives of all FT members each from their own unique experience. As you can see from my list it ranges from city to near wilderness hotels. They can be historic or brand new. I hope we can use this thread to cull out the very most distinctive hotels in their portfolio around the world that are well worth a special personal trip.

Last edited by point bonita lighthouse; Jan 8, 2011 at 12:05 am Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.